This Sunday is Mother’s Day and a great way to show mom your love is to serve her brunch. After all, most restaurants will be packed and mom shouldn’t have to wait in long lines or to be seated on her special day. So treat her to a delicious brunch in the comfort of her own home!
Growing up my dad was never much of a cook (sorry dad), but he could definitely manage the grill. So my two sisters and I always made mom breakfast in bed (usually scrambled eggs and toast) and dad grilled her dinner. I know she appreciated the day off because she always did and still does spend most of her time in the kitchen.
My mom is the strongest woman I know. She has faced many battles in her life and came out stronger each and every time! She was seriously the PERFECT mom growing up. She never missed a game or concert, always had a meal prepared, and she gave (and still does) the best advice. I’m so happy she let me destroy her kitchen a time or two so I could learn how to cook and bake and discover this passion. She taught me how be a loving wife and I hope one day I can be half the mom she is.
I wish I could be home with my mom on Mother’s Day but unfortunately a few states separate us. If I was home I would totally prepare her this brunch because she loves a simple comfort food with a healthy makeover. This waffle recipe uses greek yogurt instead of oil. Greek yogurt has fewer calories than oil and adds extra protein to keep you fuller longer. Top these waffles with fresh fruit, almond butter, honey, or real maple syrup to naturally sweeten them. They will be the perfect start to mom’s special day.
Wishing my mom and all my mommy readers the most amazing Mother’s Day this Sunday!
- 2 cups flour (I use 1¼ cup all purpose flour and ¾ cup whole wheat flour)*
- 1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar ar maple syrup (I use cane sugar)*
- ½ cup plain greek yogurt
- 1¾ cup milk (any milk or almond milk)
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- In a medium bowl whisk together the sugar, yogurt, milk, eggs, and vanilla.
- In another medium bowl combing the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and stir until all ingredients are combined.
- Preheat your waffle maker. Grease the waffle maker (I use cooking spray) and cook the waffles according to the manufacturer's directions.
- Serve with butter, fresh berries, almond butter, honey, real maple syrup, or as desired.
*I buy cane sugar at Target or my local grocery store. It's a natural sweetener and an unrefined sugar.