Trying to eat healthy while traveling or on the go can be one life’s greatest challenges. Many of us are on the go eaters, not just during the busy holiday travel season, but while picking up the kids, heading to a class, meeting, or while running errands. And with the convenience and temptation of fast food and processed snacks the only way to set yourself and your family up for healthy eating is to be prepared.
This holiday season like many of you we will be traveling for a week to visit family and friends. During this busy holiday travel time I try to avoid eating fast food or processed snacks in order to keep my body feeling good. I was inspired by Nuts.com to spread the word about healthy snacking anytime you’re on-the-go, but particularly while traveling or shopping this holiday season. I have created an “Emergency Snack Kit” to inspire you and your family to create your own to travel with this holiday season.
I decided to break the snacks down into different food categories to ensure you have a few snack choices from each when packing your own. Some of the items in my Emergency Snack Kit need to stay cold. Typically when we go on a road trip we pack a cooler and keep it in the car with snacks and beverages. Here’s how I set my husband and I up for snacking success:
- Nuts.com Healthy Snacks and Quick Snacks. One of the quick snacks Nuts.com offers is an Organic Trail Mix. Trail mixes are so filling and nuts are full of healthy fats and other nutrients, perfect when traveling or on the go. One of my other favorites from the Nuts.com Healthy Snacks page is the Dry Roasted Edamame. These are a great alternative to processed snack food and edamame is full of protein and will fuel you in a hurry.
- Individual packs of peanut butter, almond butter, or hummus. Pair each with some pretzels, fruits, or veggies to make it a combo.
- Granola Bars. Luna and Kind bars are among some of my favorite brands. Nuts.com also has a variety of bar type snacks such as their Pistachio Energy Squares.
- Beef or Turkey Jerky
- Roasted and Mixed Nuts. Nuts.com also has a wide variety. My favorites are almonds and cashews to bring when I’m on the go.
- String cheese. Pair with some crackers such as Triscuits or pretzels.
- Greek yogurt. You could also add some mixed nuts or granola to any single serving of yogurt. Try Nuts.com Vanilla LIght and Crunchy Granola.
- Individual protein packs. Just mix with water or milk.
- Seeds such as sunflower and pumpkin seeds.
- Apples, bananas, grapes, oranges are all easy fruits to pack.
- Raw veggies such as carrots, celery, snap peas, and red pepper.
- Pita Chips
- Nuts.com Veggie Chips are a great alternative for potato chips and a healthy snack for the kids.
- Dry Cereal. Mix together your favorite cereals such as Cherrios or Chex, add roasted nuts like almonds or peanuts for protein and some dried fruit such as Nuts.com Dried Peaches or Freeze Dried Fruit Cocktail Mix for a little sweetness.
Every road trip needs a few treats! Try single serving packs of candy, My favorite are the fun size M&M pack. Or bring some dark chocolate (preferably 70% cocoa).
- Bottled water
- Bai5 beverages instead of soda
Some other tips while traveling this holiday season or anytime is to pack items such as napkins, utensils, and hand sanitizer. You’ll be thankful for the napkins when you don’t spill any food down yourself, or you’re needing to quickly wipe up any messes in the car. The hand sanitizer should be self-explanatory, but should you ever need to make sure the family or yourself has germ-free hands for snacking, you’ll be thankful for the Hand Sanitizer too. Also keep a small trash bag in the car. I know while traveling to up north this holiday season I will want to avoid stopping at rest stops because they are always so crowded and very rarely do they have healthy food options. So if making a long trip pack a meal such as a salad, sandwich, or wrap ahead of time.
What is going to be in your emergency snack kit to set you up for snacking success while traveling or completing your gift list this holiday season? Leave me a comment below!