Who is ready for the Super Bowl next Sunday?!? While I am excited for all the excitement, betting, food, and fun it is kind of sad to see football season come to an end. Watching football is a very popular weekend activity at our household since my husband is a high school football coach, and it’s also always been my favorite sport to watch as well.
Our favorite food to eat while watching football has to be buffalo wings. We often stay in and watch football at home so cooking wings as crispy and delicious as a restaurant can be a challange. We’ve cooked wings on the grill a few times and they’ve turned out really good, but sometimes nothing beats the unhealthy fried version.
So to save on calories a few years ago I discovered a Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Meatball recipe and tweaked it a bit based on what I had in my kitchen. When my husband and I ate them we literally thought they almost tasted just like a buffalo wing. Since then they have become a household favorite for football gatherings or as an easy appetizer.
If you are a fan of buffalo wings you seriously NEED to try this recipe for the big game on Sunday night or when you need a quick and easy appetizer.
Prepping them takes maybe 10 minutes. It’s super easy.
I personally like to make my homemade buffalo wing sauce for this recipe (included below), but feel free to use a store bought version. If you do you’ll need about 1 cup of sauce.
Slightly brown each side of the meatballs in the oven.
Then place in a slow cooker and cover with Buffalo sauce. Stir so all the meatballs are covered with sauce.
Ta-da! Save so many calories without frying and they taste delicious!
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 egg
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- ¾ teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup minced onion*
- cooking spray
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¾ cup Franks hot sauce
- 2 tsp lemon pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (about half a lemon)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a large baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray. In a large bowl, combine ground chicken, egg, breadcrumbs, celery seed, onion powder, ground pepper, salt, and onion. Mix well, roll into 12-15 meatballs about an inch in diameter. Place on sprayed cooking sheet. Then spray the tops of the meatballs with cooking spray.
- Bake meatballs for 5 minutes, flip and bake another five minutes so each side is slightly browned.
- As the meatballs bake, in a small saucepan over medium-low heat melt the butter. Then add the hot sauce, lemon pepper, garlic powder, and lemon juice whisking together. Once all the ingredients are combined remove from heat.
- Transfer meatballs into a slow-cooker. Cover with buffalo sauce. Cook on low for 2 hours.
- You can serve meatballs with carrots and celery and blue cheese or ranch dressing if desired. We usually eat them as is.
Don’t forget to PIN for later!
These Buffalo Chicken Meatballs are a healthy alternative to fried wings and don't sacrifice… Click To Tweet
What are your Super Bowl Sunday plans?
What’s your favorite football party food?