I know many of you are probably so excited for it to be Friday! Today however is my last day of summer vacation as teachers in our county return back to school on Monday, so I’m a little sad to see summer almost over. Luckily we get an entire week to get set up before the kiddo’s arrive. But what I would give for a few more days of sleeping in, laying by the pool, and enjoying spending lots of free time cooking and baking in the kitchen. For now though, I’ll enjoy this last weekend of freedom. My littler sister actually scheduled an impromptu visit so we plan to go into DC Saturday to get some good eats, go to museums, and visit our older sister. Be sure to follow me on Instagram and Snapchat to see our weekend adventures.
And don’t forget to enter the Month’s Supply of Siggi’s Yogurt Giveaway I’m running through Saturday night. I’ll pick and notify a winner Sunday! 🙂
Now let’s get to this delicious recipe, today I am linking up with Heather for Friday Favorites and Annmarie, Farrah, Esther, and Jess for Foodie Fridays. This recipe has been a favorite in our house and I have no idea why it took me so long to share it with you. I start the chicken marinade by making a Jamaican Jerk Seasoning blend. But you could always buy a pre blended seasoning. I just like making my own because I can control the sodium and I usually have all the spices in my pantry. This recipe makes extra seasoning so you can store and save the extra for another time. In addition to the seasoning I add a little olive oil, soy sauce, and lime. This combination is so flavorful! At our house we try to keep grilling until there is literally snow on the deck, but I’m sure you could adjust the wet ingredients a bit and also bake or cook the chicken in a crockpot and it would still be delicious!
This Jamaican Jerk Chicken is so versatile, we’ve eaten it as tacos, sandwiches, or on salads. I’ve also served it with cilantro lime rice, grilled veggies and/or chips and pineapple salsa. And it would be the perfect meal to pair with my Spicy Jalapeño Margarita Recipe.
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- For the Jamaican Jerk Seasoning blend 1½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp allspice
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp dried crushed red pepper
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp ground cinnamon
- For the Marinade: ¼ cup light sodium soy sauce or tamari
- Juice of one lime
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Optional garnishes: Fresh cilantro, extra lime juice, and/or pineapple.
- Pound the chicken breasts so they are about ½ inch thick. Place chicken in a resealable bag.
- Combine all the ingredients for the Jamaican Jerk Seasoning in a small bowl. Add about 2 Tbsp of the seasoning blend to the chicken. You can store any additional seasoning blend in an airtight container.
- For the marinade whisk together the soy sauce or tamari, lime juice, and olive oil and add to the chicken. Refrigerate the marinating chicken for at least an hour or overnight.
- Preheat grill to medium heat. Use tongs to transfer the chicken from the marinade bag to the grill. Discard the bag. Cook chicken 5-7 minutes on each side or until cooked through then remove from heat and allow the chicken to sit for 5 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro, extra lime juice, and/or pineapple.
Around the Web Favorites:
New cookbooks! I can’t wait to order Fed and Fit and the new Skinnytaste book. Both of these were just recently released. And I’m a huge fan of all their blog recipes.
The One Question You Need to Ask if you Want to Change your Life. You know what it takes to eat healthy and exercise, but why aren’t you doing it daily? This article might get you thinking…..
Fig and Prosciutto Pizza with Balsamic Drizzle. My sister and I are making this for Friday Pizza Night. I’ve never had this combo and am so excited. Pizza is life!
Want more Friday Favorites? Read other posts here.
What’s your favorite food to cook on the grill?
Are you ready for Summer to end?