I hope you had a wonderful first full weekend of Fall.  I was thrilled when the weather Saturday night and into Sunday dropped enough for us to open the windows and enjoy the fresh air.  As for other highlights this weekend I of course watched a lot of football and attended a friends birthday party and brought this Queso Dip which was a hit.  I shared a photo of it on my Instagram Stories.  I also ran many errands and did a lot of much needed shopping.  You know when it seems like your household runs out of everything all at once, yea that’s how I felt all last week.  Trips to Target, Safeway, Petco, Lowes, and hundreds of dollars later I feel like our house is back up and running smoothly again.

img_5820

Friday Night Lights photo from my Instagram

As for workouts this past weekend I did a treadmill interval workout on Saturday followed by a Body Pump class.  There was a substitute instructor for the class and I try not to let that affect me, but I was definitely having a hard time feeling motivated because of the change.  But I made it through and felt strong afterwards.  On Sunday I was so happy to wake up early and enjoy a run in the cool Fall weather followed by some yoga with the windows open and breeze coming through, perfect start to the day!

Since the weekend wasn’t too exciting, today I decided to link up with a few of my favorite bloggers Ellen from My Uncommon Everyday Life, Priya from Masala Girl Travles, and Kayla from Blondes have more Run, in an Autumn Produce Challenge.  Each week we will share our favorite recipes featuring that weeks seasonal ingredient.  This week the ingredient was apples.  It’s so easy to forget that it’s apple season when everyone is going crazy over pumpkin everything, but I sure don’t.  I eat apple slices everyday and occasionally cook or bake with them.  I’m actually not a huge fan of baking with apples, even though my mom makes THE most amazing apple pie and I have many apple desserts on my Pinterest Boards.  I actually prefer adding apples to salads or side dishes to naturally sweeten them.

Broccoli Slaw with Apples and Greek Yogurt Dressing

One of my favorite side dishes to make in the Fall is homemade slaws.  So today I am sharing my recipe for Broccoli Slaw with Apples and a Greek Yogurt Dressing.  The dressing is so simple and much healthier than using mayonnaise or any store bought creamy dressing.  I like to pair this slaw with BBQ or smoked chicken or pulled pork.  And this sounds strange, but it’s also delicious ON a sandwich.  Yes in between the bread, on top of the meat.  It’s so good, just trust me!  The apples are the perfect amount of sweetness and crunch to this salad.  I hope you enjoy it!

Broccoli Slaw with Apples and a creamy Greek yogurt dressing. Sweet and Strong Blog

Broccoli Slaw with Apples and Greek Yogurt Dressing

Prep time
Total time

Crunchy Broccoli Slaw sweetened with apples and covered in a creamy Greek yogurt dressing.
Author:
Serves: 6-8
Ingredients
  • 1 (10 ounce) bag broccoli slaw
  • 3 scallions, finely chopped
  • 1 apple chopped into bite size pieces (I used Honeycrisp, Granny Smith would be good too)
  • 1 cup Greek yogurt
  • 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • ¼ teaspoon black pepper
Instructions
  1. Place the broccoli slaw, scallions, and apple in a large mixing bowl.
  2. In a separate bowl whisk together the Greek yogurt, apple cider vinegar, honey, mustard, salt, and pepper until smooth.
  3. Pour over the slaw, toss to coat evenly.
  4. Refrigerate for 2 hours up to 1 day before serving.
  5. Can stay refrigerated 2-3 days.

I love that all you need for this recipe is a set of mixing bowls and kitchen utensils.  It’s so simple to put together and the whole family will enjoy the sweet and crunchy taste!

Broccoli Slaw with Apples and Greek Yogurt Dressing

Broccoli Slaw with Apples and Greek Yogurt Dressing

Also linking up today with Katie and Meghan for Weekend Highlights.  And to Julie for hosting the Best of the Blog September link up.

What’s your favorite dish with apples?

What’s a weird sandwich topping you enjoy?

Any good workouts this weekend?

37 Comments on Broccoli Slaw with Apples and Greek Yogurt Dressing

1. Kat
    September 26, 2016 at 1:01 pm (1 year ago)

Mmm this dish sounds super refreshing!! I love anything with apples, not even kidding!

September 26, 2016 at 7:03 pm (1 year ago)

Thanks Kat, it definitely is refreshing! I’ve made it in the summer time as well, the apples are a fun Fall addition.

2. Julie @ Running in a Skirt
    September 26, 2016 at 4:22 pm (1 year ago)

I seem to run out of everything at the same time too. I’m known for some pretty epic Sams Club runs.
    This salad looks amazing! Love the GY and crunch of an apple.

September 26, 2016 at 7:03 pm (1 year ago)

Julie I think I made 8 trips into the house with bags of things on Saturday. It was definitely a workout for my arms!

3. Brittany
    September 26, 2016 at 6:02 pm (1 year ago)

This sounds delicious! I love all things apple in the fall, especially now that it is cooling down!

September 26, 2016 at 7:02 pm (1 year ago)

Yes, finally mother nature has realized it’s Fall and the weather has gotten cooler. I also love hot apple cider in the cooler temps.

4. Ellen @ My Uncommon Everyday
    September 26, 2016 at 6:12 pm (1 year ago)

This looks so good! I’m not a mayo lover, but I love all sorts of mayo-free slaws. The apples are such a fun, sweet addition 🙂 Thanks for linking up!

September 26, 2016 at 7:01 pm (1 year ago)

I’m not a huge mayo fan either so I love slaws that use greek yogurt or just vinegar instead.

5. Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets
    September 26, 2016 at 7:34 pm (1 year ago)

Now apples are a fall flavor I can get down with.

How funny, I’m watching Friday Night Lights and you’re living it. 🙂

Happy Monday and thanks for linking up.

September 26, 2016 at 10:18 pm (1 year ago)

Haha, I have yet to watch that show somehow, but I really live it with my husband being a coach. It’s crazy how much time he puts into everything for getting paid just about nothing. But some of the boys stories and how football has changed their life is truly inspiring. In real life and on TV 😉

6. Lauren
    September 26, 2016 at 11:34 pm (1 year ago)

Oh yum! And I have a bag of broccoli slaw that I need to use….can’t wait to try this!

September 27, 2016 at 11:10 am (1 year ago)

Yes! Let me know what you think 😉

September 27, 2016 at 4:54 pm (1 year ago)

Yum i love slaws–my recipe for Friday is actually a fall-ish slaw! I love apple slices with caramel sauce in the fall or apples and cinnamon in oatmeal.
    I like to put potatoe chips on my sandwiches sometimes–also pickles are a must!

September 28, 2016 at 12:11 am (1 year ago)

Oh I used to do potato chips on sandwiches all the time as a kid, totally forgot about that one! I’ll have to check out your slaw recipe Friday.

8. Lisa @ Lisa the Vegetarian
    September 28, 2016 at 2:14 pm (1 year ago)

Yum – this looks delicious! I love slaws too, and I love that this one includes scallions.

September 28, 2016 at 9:14 pm (1 year ago)

Yes slaws with scallions is so much greater than onions, but I do love both!

9. Sarah @ BucketListTummy
    September 28, 2016 at 3:30 pm (1 year ago)

This sounds so delicious! I love the idea of adding apple to slaw. I think I’m typical and love baked apples or apple pie!

September 28, 2016 at 9:14 pm (1 year ago)

I used to be that way Sarah, but cooking or preparing meals with apples is so fun too! They’re delicious!

September 28, 2016 at 11:47 pm (1 year ago)

I feel like I can come put of the closet about my aversion to apples now. I can’t stand them. It’s the texture. This slaw though. I’d eat that whole bowl!

September 30, 2016 at 1:24 pm (1 year ago)

OH no, I used to really dislike them as a kid, now I can’t get enough. You could always leave the apples out 😉

11. Jessica @ Semi-Sweet Tooth
    September 29, 2016 at 1:55 pm (1 year ago)

Looks like a fun weekend! I saw your “Friday Night Lights” picture on Instagram and loved the flashback! Such a blast. : )

This recipe looks delicious. Can’t wait to give it a try!

XO, Jessica

September 30, 2016 at 1:25 pm (1 year ago)

Yay please let me know if you do Jessica! And yes husbands life could probably a Friday night lights documentary, lol.

12. Arman @ thebigmansworld
    September 30, 2016 at 8:58 am (1 year ago)

This looks absolutely delicious- I love the dressing using Greek yogurt! I’ll give it a go this weekend, I’m on salad duty for a BBQ!

September 30, 2016 at 1:26 pm (1 year ago)

Yes I love using greek yogurt instead of mayo in salads. Enjoy your BBQ =)

13. Esther
    October 1, 2016 at 12:04 am (1 year ago)

Yum! I need to add apple to my broccoli slaw!
    I LOVE using greek yogurt in place of mayo or sour cream!
    I LOVE apples! I literally lived on them when I was in college!

14. Julie @ Running in a Skirt
    October 1, 2016 at 1:23 pm (1 year ago)

This slaw really did look good! Loving the apple in it. Just stopping by again to thank you for linking up to #BestofBlogs. Pinning as a thank you and hope to see you next month– Friday, October 28th!

October 2, 2016 at 3:58 pm (1 year ago)

Thanks for hosting Julie 🙂

October 1, 2016 at 1:49 pm (1 year ago)

I love broccoli slaw! It’s one of my favorite salads. And I love that you added apples to it. Aren’t fall runs the best? I love the cool, crisp fall air.

October 2, 2016 at 3:58 pm (1 year ago)

Yes the addition of apples makes it perfect, creamy, crunchy, and sweet is a great combo right?!? And YES I love running in the fall. I can’t wait until the leaves start changing.

16. Sophie
    October 2, 2016 at 1:22 pm (1 year ago)

I love this salad, definitely going to try that out! My favorite dish with apples is -of course- apple pie. So yum and sweet. I like that you put apples in your salad, I like sweet salads, gives a bit of an extra to it. Great blog by the way!

October 2, 2016 at 3:55 pm (1 year ago)

Thanks Sophie! =) Oh apple pie is so delicious topped with some vanilla ice cream too!

17. Cora
    October 4, 2016 at 2:01 am (1 year ago)

Oh I love this! So easy and light! I’m such a sweet tooth so the addition of honey and apples is definitely calling my name.

October 4, 2016 at 12:50 pm (1 year ago)

Hi Cora! Yes it’s the perfect amount of sweet and crunchy!

18. Rosemary
    June 3, 2017 at 5:21 pm (6 months ago)

This slaw would be great with the turkey sloppy joes. 🙂

June 6, 2017 at 1:44 pm (6 months ago)

Oh yes that’s a genius idea!

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Broccoli Slaw with Apples and Greek Yogurt Dressing