Welcome to another week my friends!  I hope you had a wonderful weekend and are ready to rock this week.  Can you believe Thursday is the first day of Fall and Summer will officially be over?  I always say it, but crazy how fast times flies.  Today I’m linking up with Meghan and Katie to share all of my weekend highlights.  But before I get to talking about the weekend don’t forget to enter the Quest Bars Giveaway I’m running on Fridays previous post.  I will choose and notify a winner tomorrow!

Saturday morning was the perfect weather for an outdoor run so I couldn’t resist.  I did about four miles, which is a lot for me and then went to go inside the house and do some yoga and stretching when I realized my husband had left for work and must have accidentally locked the door.  UH! I was locked out without my phone!  Luckily our community has a little gym that I walked over to.  I got some water and waited for someone to show up so I could borrow their phone.  Within minutes a neighbor was there to save me.  I walked a few miles on the treadmill until one of Tom’s coaches came with the key.  Not the greatest start to my Saturday morning, but I ran/walked plenty of miles!

Saturday Food and Football

The rest of Saturday was pretty much taken up with cleaning, meal prep, a nice walk with the dog, and watching football (mostly Alabama and Ohio State) and having this delicious meal of French Dip Sandwiches with this homemade French Bread.  And as a side I thinly sliced potatoes with a mandoline and made Old Bay seasoned baked Potato Chips.  I shared my first photo of this process on my Instagram Stories.  One of our favorite local restaurants Red Oak Bistro serves Old Bay chips with their sandwiches so I thought it would be an easy side to try at home.  If I’m not getting recipe ideas from Pinterest I love getting inspiration from other restaurants.

French Dip Sandwiches with Baked Potato Chips

Beachbody On Demand

Weekend Highlights

Last weekend I didn’t share any highlights because the weekend was pretty low key.  But I’ve been enjoying cooking some football themed meals every Saturday since college football season started.  Last weekend we grilled some wings and I made Cheesy Pretzel Twists and roasted brussels sprouts.  Needless to say planning and eating Saturday dinners has been fun!  Who wants to come over this coming weekend?!?  Not sure what’s on the menu yet, but I’m sure it’ll be something delicious!

Weekend Highlights

Soul Cycle

On Sunday I woke up early and headed into DC to meet my sister and her friend Manny for our first Soul Cycle class.  They were giving away free classes this week to first time riders and we all had only ever been to Flywheel, so we definitely took advantage of the offer.

Soul Cycle

If you have never been to a Flywheel (read my review here) or a Soul Cycle class they are so much more than any typically spin class you may have attended before.  I was never a huge fan of spin until I discovered these studios.  It’s not a fitness class, it’s more like an experience.  First of all you get to borrow spin shoes for the class, which I love because my feet are always falling out of the straps in any other spin bike.

Soul Cycle

The 14th Street Soul Cycle Studio staff were very warm and welcoming in getting us set up and giving us a quick tour.  I love the locker rooms in these studios.  Clean showers, changing areas, bags for dirty clothes, hairspray, deodorant, hair ties, gum, you name it, they have it waiting for you.

Soul Cycle

The actual class we took was 45 minutes long.  The instructor burns candles in the room and the majority of the class the lights are turned completely off.  The music is loud, the instructor is motivating, and you are dripping sweat about two songs in, I seriously just LOVE this feeling!  At Soul Cycle we did a lot more dancing and moving on the bike which was fun for an early Sunday morning class, when I usually wouldn’t be working out at all or be doing some light yoga.  At Flywheel, a typical class is much more competitive with the torque board and your rankings.

Soul Cycle

TankCrop LeggingsSports Bra

I was surprised by how different the class focuses are between Soul Cycle and Flywheel,  I can honestly say I love them both and can’t choose a favorite.  I would however attend a certain class depending on my mood.  If i’m feeling competitive and that I want to push myself the hardest I would go Flywheel.  However at certain points in the week the motivation and soul searching is exactly what I need from Soul Cycle.  So needless to say I will definitely be back for more, these classes are so addicting and I love that I can make it into a little social outing with my sister or DC friends.

Discover ATL. Up to 55% off at Gilt City

Sunday Eats

After a sweaty spin session we walked down the street for Brunch at Busboys and Poets.  We had been there a few times before and knew the food was fresh and delicious.  I ordered something new, the Sweet Potato Hash that came with brown rice, kale, onions, sweet potatoes, and a poached egg.  Not pictured is the side of turkey sausage I ordered, because well protein!  I ate every last bite and wished I could have taken the cute little skillet with me.

Busboys and Poets

After brunch we headed to the Nike Factory Store where I found a new pair of capris and a shirt for work that were on clearance, SCORE!

Then for dinner we grilled one of our usuals, Italian Chicken because I’ll use it for salads and Tom’s lunches throughout the week.  We also had corn on the cob and Roasted Broccoli Quinoa Salad.  I am clearly still a tad in denial that Summer is almost over because we then ended the weekend on a sweet note with some ice cream.  Twist with all the sprinkles.  But in my defense it was sunny and 80 some degrees outside.  And I crave ice cream all year round 😉

Italian grilled chicken, roasted broccoli salad, and corn on the cob

Twin Kiss soft serve twist with chocolate dip and sprinkles

Hope you all have a wonderful week!  Check out other Weekend Highlights Here.

Has a neighbor ever helped you out in a situation?

Team Soul Cycle or Team Flywheel?

Do you eat Ice Cream in the Winter?

38 Comments on Football, Soul Cycle, Ice Cream, and Weekend Highlights

1. Avatar
    Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets
    September 19, 2016 at 1:50 pm (3 years ago)

I’m in complete denial about summer ending too. Long live summer produce!

Also I’d be happy to come over for dinner if you feed me cheesy pretzel twists. I’ll take extra please. The mini cast iron skillets are so incredibly cute. I want a dozen. Alright fine, one would suffice. 🙂

Happy Monday and thanks for linking up.

P.S. My Hubby would melt with happiness if I had Football in the title of one of my posts. 🙂

September 19, 2016 at 9:36 pm (3 years ago)

Hahah I always tell my husband how lucky he is that I love watching football and understand most of it. And you should totally try to make the pretzel twists, it was a fun Saturday activity!

2. Avatar
    Morgan @ Morgan Manages Mommyhood
    September 19, 2016 at 2:12 pm (3 years ago)

So much good foooodd! Old Bay chips sound so amazing! Down in Ocean City they have Crab fries which is just fries with Old Bay and they are amazing.

September 19, 2016 at 9:35 pm (3 years ago)

Yes we here in MD like to put Old Bay on everything! I’m not originally from Maryland so I didn’t understand it at first, but now I’ve gotten hooked, lol. Have a great week Morgan!

3. Avatar
    Emily
    September 19, 2016 at 2:26 pm (3 years ago)

We are blessed with such amazing neighbors; I’m always amazed at how God has placed us in two different neighborhoods where the neighbors are just really kind and helpful.

I’ve always wanted to try a Cycle class; they sound fun. The experience of a group class is really fun for me cause I’m usually sort of an introverted extrovert, so I love to meet new people, and classes are fun places to meet new people.

September 19, 2016 at 9:34 pm (3 years ago)

I completely agree Emily, fitness classes are a great way to meet people that are interested in the same thing as you. You definitely should try a spin class, they’re really a great mix of fun and crazy hard work.

4. Avatar
    Ellie Pell
    September 20, 2016 at 12:19 am (3 years ago)

I am usually the neighbor that lets my neighbors in when they forget their keys =P I don’t mind, they are super nice! I have never taken a bicycle class before, so I’d say…Soul cycle =P
    I don’t really eat ice cream when it’s cold outside. I’d rather have something warm and fudgy 🙂

September 20, 2016 at 2:50 pm (3 years ago)

That’s so nice that you help your neighbors out Ellie, that kind of stuff happens. If you’re into cardio I highly suggest trying a spin class, they’re a great workout and a ton of fun!

5. Avatar
    Esther
    September 20, 2016 at 4:18 am (3 years ago)

Well boo for getting locked out, but it sounds like the rest of the weekend was fantastic! I have never taken a spin class ever….I really can not pinpoint why not! I love to bike outdoors and get my sweat on…and now I feel like I need to find a studio near me and try it out!
    I love that you are still making summery foods! Considering it was 106 here on Sat I am still in limbo between summer foods and fall foods!
    Love the ice cream! Never a bad time of year for that!

September 20, 2016 at 2:51 pm (3 years ago)

Wow 106! It definitely must not feel like Fall in Texas! And you totally need to find a studio near you Esther, I think you would really like it. I wasn’t a fan of spin at my local gym, but these classes are so different!

6. Avatar
    Jen @ Chase the Red Grape
    September 20, 2016 at 7:35 am (3 years ago)

Roasted Brussels, the hash, the ice cream! Damn that’s a good set of eats there!
    That’s the one thing I miss about moving to Perth, I no longer have a local nike factory store. Nike is super expensive in Australia but it fits me so well! Urgh!!

September 20, 2016 at 2:52 pm (3 years ago)

Uh I’m so sorry you don’t have the outlets Jen. I don’t know what I would do without them. I rarely pay full price for clothes. You’ll just have to stock up when you’re home.

7. Avatar
    Kaylin@EnticingHealthyEating
    September 21, 2016 at 1:07 am (3 years ago)

Can’t beat French dip sandwiches, especially for a football day. Yay football is BACK! And I’ve never tried Soul Cycle but I’ve always wanted to.

September 21, 2016 at 11:34 am (3 years ago)

I know, football food is so good! And you definitely should try Soul Cycle Kaylin, but warning, it can be addicting!

8. Avatar
    Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table
    September 21, 2016 at 4:42 am (3 years ago)

I was surprised by the differecne between Soul Cycle and Flywheel too! We don’t have Flywheel in CA but I’d done it in ATL. I like Flywheel better… but I’m crazy competitive to that drives me.

September 21, 2016 at 11:33 am (3 years ago)

I know I love the competitive part of Flywheel, it definitely makes me push myself really hard.

9. Avatar
    Deborah @ Confessions of a mother runner
    September 21, 2016 at 12:03 pm (3 years ago)

Nice to connect w you through Nicole’s blog. Fellow NoVa blogger. Love flywheel and Zengo too. Perhaps we will end up at the same class sometime!

September 21, 2016 at 9:23 pm (3 years ago)

Awesome Deborah! I love going into the city for classes. Did you know DC was rated the top fittest city this year? Guess it’s because we all love fancy studio classes and walking everywhere right?!?

10. Avatar
    Julie @ Running in a Skirt
    September 21, 2016 at 12:20 pm (3 years ago)

What a great weekend! I love some football food. Your potato chips sound really good. Love Old Bay.
    I haven’t tried either cycling class. I love Asheville… but one problem is we don’t have as many of the cool fitness studios or it takes us forever to get something. An Orangetheory is JUST opening later this year.

September 21, 2016 at 9:22 pm (3 years ago)

Thanks Julie! In MD they love to put Old Bay on everything! And yea I have to drive an hour into the city for a good fitness studio. But that’s so exciting you’re getting an Orangetheory!

11. Avatar
    Kimberly G
    September 21, 2016 at 7:49 pm (3 years ago)

I have taken regular spnning classes, but not SoulCycle or Flywheel. I hear such great things about both!

September 21, 2016 at 9:21 pm (3 years ago)

OMG Kimberly, if you like spin you will LOVE a Soul or Flywheel class. You have to try it and let me know how it goes! 😉

12. Avatar
    Autumn @AutumnPTW.com
    September 22, 2016 at 12:33 am (3 years ago)

Ok, so you had me at old bay potatoes. That sounds sooo good, adding to my try it list! I cant believe how fast summer went either!

September 22, 2016 at 11:06 am (3 years ago)

Yes you need to try them Autumn, so good!

13. Avatar
    Jennifer Lawrence
    October 1, 2016 at 5:23 am (3 years ago)

Such a nice weekend! I love all your food. They look tasty and healthy. Cant wait to try Sweet and Potato Hash!

October 2, 2016 at 3:59 pm (3 years ago)

I am all about tasty and healthy dishes Jennifer! Let me know if you give sweet potato hash a try, it’s a great combo!

14. Avatar
    Michael
    October 2, 2016 at 1:42 am (3 years ago)

Wow, these dishes look so delicious. Your post motivates me to enroll in my spinning class soon. Will share with you my thoughts once I have tried it. 🙂
    Have a great weekend !!!

October 2, 2016 at 3:57 pm (3 years ago)

You should definitely try a Soul or Flywheel class, I never used to like spin, but these are so different! Let me know if you give it a try Michael.

15. Avatar
    MICHAEL BRANDON
    October 3, 2016 at 9:08 am (3 years ago)

Wow, what a wonderful weekend. Thank you for sharing this article, I really enjoy reading it, especially on food section. Food images make me hungry since all of your meals seem yummy and nutritious, too.

16. Avatar
    James Gross
    October 3, 2016 at 9:59 am (3 years ago)

So much good food, these dishes look so delicious, I love that you are still making summery foods

17. Avatar
    Claudia Smith
    October 5, 2016 at 4:58 am (3 years ago)

Your dishes looks really tasty! They’re colorful, appealing and of course, yummy! Your cooking must be very good. Thanks for sharing!

18. Avatar
    Richard Friesen
    October 7, 2016 at 9:12 am (3 years ago)

So much good food, Your dishes looks really tasty, your meals seem yummy and nutritious
    thanks for sharing

19. Avatar
    Barbara J. Silverman
    October 8, 2016 at 3:16 am (3 years ago)

Aww, those dishes do look tasty. My stomach is speaking up right now lol. What a lovely post, I really like it.

20. Avatar
    larry dunn
    October 9, 2016 at 12:49 pm (3 years ago)

Looking the dishes. Too delicious and attractive. Cravings too go…

21. Avatar
    Jack
    October 13, 2016 at 5:44 am (3 years ago)

Thanks for your sharing. I am rather impressed by review about 14th Street Soul Cycle Studio. That is really helpful. I hope that you can share more photos of classes and environment of that place.

22. Avatar
    Kristin
    October 15, 2016 at 5:16 am (3 years ago)

Your dishes look so delicious, especially the Italian Chicken. It has been a long time since last time I ate chicken. I had knees injury last month and my hubby didn’t allow me to eat chicken to avoid scars. No chicken, no seafood, no beef, no sticky rice. I wonder if it was too much! Actually I have vegetarian diets but it’s still a hard challenge for me.

Thanks for sharing your weekend stories! Hopefully your next week as well as your October will be wonderful.

23. Avatar
    Susanne
    October 15, 2016 at 8:07 am (3 years ago)

Glad to know you had a great weekend! All those dishes look very yummy. They all are healthy and nutritious food. Love it! Thanks for sharing!

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Football, Soul Cycle, Ice Cream, and Weekend Highlights