You know what my favorite part of a three day weekend is?  Being able to enjoy a nice and relaxing Sunday night without the stress of having to wake up early for work Monday morning.  Definitely one of my favorite feelings.  This past weekend was pretty low key but involved a lot of football, relaxing, and healthy and a few cheat eats.

Weekend Highlights, Football, Healthy and Cheat Eats

Friday night was my husbands first football game.  They opened the season away against another county high school and won 41-18!  Tom doesn’t stay excited for too long though, Saturday morning he was back to work to review film and start prepping for next week.  Life of a football wife.  So me not being able to sleep in anymore these days was up early as well and I headed to World Gym to do a Treadmill Workout and attend a BodyPump class.  Great start to a Saturday!  When I got home I made a shake and looked at Pinterest to do some meal planning for the week before hitting the grocery store.

Weekend Highlights, Football, Healthy and Cheat Eats

Saturday afternoon/evening was very relaxing as we watched lots of Football, Go Buckeyes!  While watching I made Chewy Fudgy Homemade Brownies for Dessert on Sunday.  I like my brownies room temperature, which usually means I need to make them the day before because they take awhile to cool.   And I made some Roasted Beet Hummus for us to snack on with some crackers and veggies.  For dinner we ordered Pizza for the first time in ages.  I usually like making my own dough and building our own pizza’s, but after a long week of going back to work it was nice to not cook for a night.  Pizza, wine, and football story of my life every Saturday in the Fall.

Weekend Highlights, Football, Healthy and Cheat Eats

Photo from my Instagram

Weekend Highlights, Football, Healthy and Cheat Eats

Sunday I tried a new yoga video.  I’ve heard a few readers and other bloggers doing Yoga with Adriene videos on youtube and decided to try one.  She has so many videos, it was hard to pick just one!  I really liked the yoga flow and will definitely be trying some of her other videos since they’re all free!  After yoga I got ready and drove into DC to visit my sister for a lunch date.  We had both been craving Sweetgreen for awhile, like it’s pretty embarrassing how excited I was for a giant salad, but they’re so delicious!  I had the Earth Bowl with Goat Cheese and my sister and her boyfriend built their own salads.  I love that Sweetgreen uses some fresh ingredients from local farms, so each locations toppings vary.  The weather was pretty cool outside, so it was nice to sit and enjoy a meal in the fresh air without dripping in sweat and you bet I ate every last bite!

Weekend Highlights, Football, Healthy and Cheat Eats

Photo from my Instagram

After walking around for a bit I headed home and did some meal prep and the usual Sunday laundry.  I also made some Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Bites and will be sharing the recipe with you on Friday so be sure to come for that recipe.  For dinner I tried something a little different, thank you to my husband for always being opened minded when it comes to my cooking.  I had been wanting to grill hot dogs because it just feels like what you’re supposed to do on Labor Day Weekend.  But I didn’t just want any hot dog, I had to jazz them up, so I tried this Pulled Pork Hot Dogs with Broccoli Slaw Recipe.  I cooked a pork tenderloin instead of a shoulder because it’s less fattier and also used liquid smoke.  As the pork was cooking I made a BBQ Sauce and the Broccoli Slaw.  Tom grilled the hot dogs.  I love Applegate products, and was thrilled to find that our local Safeway carried these hot dogs.  I can pronounce all the ingredients!  I used leftover homemade pita bread from last weekend as my hot dog bun with sliced cheese and mustard and then topped the hot dog with pulled pork and a little diced white onion.  It was such a delicious combo, I was honestly a little skeptical, but if you want to fancy up your dogs and not do a traditional Chili Dog, definitely give this recipe a try!

Weekend Highlights, Football, Healthy and Cheat Eats

Applegate Uncured Beef Hot Dog Ingredients:  Organic Grass-Fed Beef, Water, sea salt, organic spiced, organic dehydrated garlic, organic dehydrated onion, organic paprika, celery powder.  And that’s it my friends!  Have you ever checked the nutrition label on your hot dogs?!?

Weekend Highlights, Football, Healthy and Cheat Eats

Sunday ended on a sweet note as we watched more football, shocker!  And ate some brownies with ice cream.  Yum, seriously one of the best combos ever!

Weekend Highlights, Football, Healthy and Cheat Eats

Thanks to Meghan and Katie for today’s link-ups.

Read other Weekend Highlights here.

Which College Football team are you a fan of?

Do you prefer to order pizza or make it yourself?

19 Comments on Weekend Highlights, Football, Healthy and Cheat Eats

1. Ellie Pell
    September 6, 2016 at 12:00 am (1 year ago)

I don’t mind college football, but sometimes I think colleges put too many financial resources into their athletic programs when they would be better spent elsewhere. I do really like how it brings the campus together and the parties were outrageous!
    Happy Labor Day!

September 6, 2016 at 11:23 am (1 year ago)

Yes it’s so fun when you’re in college to come together and cheer on your team! Tailgating is one of my favorite things!

2. Mary
    September 6, 2016 at 12:07 am (1 year ago)

I’m so excited for football season; most people think I’m crazy but its the best time of the year in my book. I have a friend that coaches for the 49ers he never celebrates a win for more than an hour or so, it’s always on to the next game, game planning and looking ahead. At least we, none players, get to bask in the glow of a win 🙂

September 6, 2016 at 11:22 am (1 year ago)

It really is the best time of the year! Fall weather, all the football, and all the food that comes with it =)

3. Katie @ Katiesfitscript
    September 6, 2016 at 9:51 am (1 year ago)

I’m so so pumped for football season to be back in session! WOOO!!! 🙂 And super excited to have fun across your blog!<3

September 6, 2016 at 11:21 am (1 year ago)

Yes! We watch football ALL the time in the Fall, it’s nice that theres always something to be watching. And thanks for visiting =)

4. Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets
    September 6, 2016 at 1:31 pm (1 year ago)

My Hubby was so excited for football on Saturday. He dressed Ave up in an Ohio State onesie.

Those salads looks fantastic, and of course I wouldn’t say no to a brownie or three either.

September 6, 2016 at 9:24 pm (1 year ago)

Aw yes the Ohio State onesie, so cute! And Meghan I think I probably had 4-5 brownies when the weekend was over. I think I need to make a double batch so my husband and I can share next time, hehe.

5. Heather @ HeatherRunsFast.com
    September 6, 2016 at 3:58 pm (1 year ago)

All of your food pics look delish! I love Applegate products as well. What a yummy long weekend 🙂

September 6, 2016 at 9:23 pm (1 year ago)

Thanks Heather! And Applegate is awesome, I’m a huge fan!

6. GiGi Eats
    September 7, 2016 at 12:46 am (1 year ago)

APPLEGATE HOT DOGS = HANDS DOWN THE BESTTTTTTTTTT readily available hot dogs ON THE MARKET!! Omg I could eat a whole pack without blinking an eye. Oh wait, I have! 😉 <— Oh look… I AM WINKING apparently!

September 7, 2016 at 9:47 pm (1 year ago)

They were so delicious. I love hot dogs, but not all the crazy ingredients. Applegate always to the rescue!

September 7, 2016 at 7:47 pm (1 year ago)

I love your jazzed up hot dog! I like pizza… but more often I like to make my own funky version… and usually on cauliflower crusts. Vegas would prefer to have the delivery stuff – pepperoni and mushroom ONLY! Ha!

September 7, 2016 at 9:47 pm (1 year ago)

I’m with Vegas pepperoni and mushrooms are the best toppings! Maybe jalapeños too for me. But I pinned your cauliflower crust because I have been wanting to try another one, I’ll let you know how it turns out!

September 7, 2016 at 8:31 pm (1 year ago)

The brownies look so good Patricia! 🙂 Do you have a recipe? Oh, and I think I need to get better at reading hot dog labels. 🙂 I love ones that have really short ingredients lists.

September 7, 2016 at 9:45 pm (1 year ago)

You need to make the brownies Emily, I linked the recipe in the post 😉

September 7, 2016 at 9:35 pm (1 year ago)

Yay so glad you tried yoga with adriene! I prefer to make my own pizza since i have to use special cheese and gluten free crust options. BUT last weekend i found a place that does gluten free and vegan cheese options for their pizzas and i was so excited!

September 7, 2016 at 9:46 pm (1 year ago)

Yes thanks for suggesting it Heather! And that’s exciting you found a place that can make pizza to meet your diet needs. Sometimes you just don’t feel like cooking and need someone else to do it for you, ya know 😉

10. Julie @ Running in a Skirt
    September 8, 2016 at 12:50 pm (1 year ago)

What a great weekend! We are big football fans. I went to UF– so we pull for Florida. My hubby grew up in Pittsburgh and is a big Steelers fan, so we do that for pro ball! Makes for a busy weekend!