Oh Monday, Monday.  Hope you all had a wonderful weekend and maybe enjoyed some Fall themed activities.  I am loving seeing everyone on Instagram going to pumpkin patches with their families, baking all things pumpkin, and the beautiful pictures of the leaves changing.  It really felt like Fall weather here in southern MD this weekend, cool temperatures in the morning and high sixties and sunny by the afternoon, perfect in my opinion.  This weekend was pretty low key, but as always I enjoy sharing some of the highlights and especially the food and workouts.

img_6205

Friday night I went to my husbands high school football game.  I almost didn’t go because it was about an hour away and it was raining a bit.  But with nothing better to do I made the drive.  They won 35-3 but the most surprising part was that the home team had MAYBE 20 fans in the stands, mostly parents.  What were all the high school students doing on Friday night?  Were Friday night football games really popular at your high school?  They were definitely THE event to go to every Friday in my hometown.  I should have snapped a photo by how scarce the home side was, we definitely had more fans on ours.  When I got home I warmed up some of the Chicken Chili I had frozen from last weekends party and it hit the spot since I was pretty cold from the game.

Saturday morning I was up early to head to the gym for some treadmill intervals and to attend the BodyPump 99 release.  99 is pretty tough, I had to lower my weight for a few of the tracks, but it also could have been because I hadn’t been in a few weeks.  But regardless it was a great workout and I was pretty sore on Sunday.

Weekend Highlights, Football, Healthy and Cheat Eats

The rest of Saturday morning and afternoon I did some shopping at Target and the grocery store, nothing too exciting.  Then I made these pumpkin spice cupcakes, it was somehow the first can of pumpkin I had opened all season.  I wanted to bring the cupcakes to a Fall Fest I was attending at an old co-workers house later Saturday evening.

Pumpkin Cupcakes

Photo from my Instagram

It was pretty windy out Saturday night, so I would have loved to hang outside and play cornhole, can jam, and hang out by the bonfire, but the wind made the temps a bit too chilly for me.  Plus football was on inside, what happened Ohio State?!?  My husband was actually at the game and they left right before Penn State started having their comeback, they were kicking themselves later.  After eating some good BBQ and wine I headed home for the night.

Sleeping in is pretty rare these days, I was up Sunday to walk the dog and go for a three mile run before meeting my sister in DC.  We drove to Bethesda Row for lunch and some shopping.  We had the most delicious lunch at Modern Market.  I spotted the restaurant on social media and thought the food looked healthy, fresh, and tasty so I knew I had to go try for myself   We split a Chicken Sandwich and Wintergreen salad, so yummy!  After lunch we really just did a lot of window shopping, no purchases, but it was nice to walk around on such a beautiful Fall day..

img_6227

img_6226

When i got home I did some more meal prep and then started making this Paleo Chicken Pot Pie for dinner.  I was craving a healthy warm comfort food and my husband and I both enjoyed it.  And then a cupcake for dessert to wrap up the weekend 😉

img_6229

This week on the menu I’m looking forward to trying some other new recipes like these Egg Roll Bowls and Pumpkin Pasta.  If you have no time to plan and shop for healthy meals be sure to also check out my review of Meal Services Blue Apron vs. Hello Fresh.

Thanks to Meghan and Katie for today’s link up.

What was the highlight of your weekend?

Did you go to football games when you were in high school?

What’s your favorite meal to eat out on the weekends?

28 Comments on Feels like Fall, Weekend Highlights

1. Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets
    October 24, 2016 at 11:39 am (1 year ago)

As tempting as that salad is, I want the cupcakes. In fact I’ve been thinking about them since I saw them on IG. You know how to do frosting, which just so happens to be my favorite part.

That Ohio State game…such a disappointment. My Hubby couldn’t get over it either.

It’s getting chilly here too, so much so we had out first fire of the season on Saturday night. It was so nice to curl up around the fireplace and I think Ave liked it too. Let’s hope she doesn’t turn into a pyromaniac. Ha!

Happy Monday and thanks for linking up.

October 24, 2016 at 10:31 pm (1 year ago)

Haha, oh I love sitting around the fireplace when the weather just starts getting cool, especially if it involves s’mores. And the frosting is my favorite part of a cupcake too, I used to ONLY eat the frosting. Now I eat the whole thing of course, but add on some of the extra frosting, hehe.

October 24, 2016 at 1:33 pm (1 year ago)

I’ve never gone to a football game; can you believe that? 🙂 The highlight of my weekend was probably going to church yesterday and hearing a sermon and being really comforted that Jesus is King in my life despite all the anxiety and craziness over the election. It was really humbling and comforting at the same time. 🙂

And… that sandwich you had at Modern Market looks SO good and gourmet; I love going to restaurants and trying new things.

Also, that paleo chicken pot pie looks like a normal one; it sounds DELICIOUS!

October 24, 2016 at 10:28 pm (1 year ago)

I’m so glad you had such a nice experience at church. It feels great to be comforted whenever times seems a little crazy. And OMG I was craving another sandwich all day long, but luckily we’re having leftover pot pie for dinner which was also yummy 😉

3. Ange // Cowgirl Runs
    October 24, 2016 at 9:16 pm (1 year ago)

I’m a big fan of BodyPump. I haven’t been in a really long time, but it’s time to get back into it soon, I think!

I haven’t opened pumpkin yet, either, I should fix that!

I just tried your Click to Tweet and I didn’t include a link to your post or your Twitter handle in it.

October 24, 2016 at 10:27 pm (1 year ago)

You should definitely get to BodyPump, especially in January when 100 comes out! And thanks about the click to tweet, I noticed that at work today and forgot to fix it, opps!

4. Juli
    October 25, 2016 at 6:40 am (1 year ago)

I always wanted to try a body pump class. It looks terrifying yet like so much fun.
    I can’t believe how perfect these cupcakes look. Your frosting is spot on! I am so impressed.

October 25, 2016 at 2:59 pm (1 year ago)

Thanks Juli, I learned how to pipe from watching youtube videos, lol. And I thought body pump was terrifying at first too because of all the weights. But your first time just use light weights and see what it feels like, then you could always increase the next time. If you have a good instructor and there cues are on point, after a few classes you’ll have the moves down!

5. Jen @ Chase the Red Grape
    October 25, 2016 at 7:44 am (1 year ago)

That chicken pot pie looks so good! Comfort food at its finest!
    It always surprises me when I read about both high school and college football in the states, or indeed any school sports. In the UK, school sports are hardly anything. You are maybe lucky if you have the odd soccer or rugby team but that’s it. I do love that sport is such a big part of your culture though 🙂

October 25, 2016 at 2:57 pm (1 year ago)

The spirit is really fun to be around, even as an adult. I love watching the cheerleaders and listening to the band.

October 25, 2016 at 12:21 pm (1 year ago)

I went to such a small high school that we didnt even have a football team! Our “homecoming” was around basketball season..so funny!

October 25, 2016 at 2:56 pm (1 year ago)

OMG too funny, I guess it depends where you grow up. I was just so surprised to see no students at the game.

7. Caroline
    October 25, 2016 at 3:22 pm (1 year ago)

Highlight of my weekend was doing an Alzheimer’s Walk in honor of my friend’s father on Saturday morning. It was sad but such a beautiful time. I never went to football games in high school, but now that I’m in college I go a little more often. I’m much more of a basketball fan, so when basketball season rolls around, I’ll be more than ready! All your weekend eats look so tasty and comforting! I’m really starting to get into the fall spirit now.

October 25, 2016 at 4:04 pm (1 year ago)

I do love basketball for the fact that’s it’s indoors! It takes the weather and leaves changing to really put me in the Fall spirit, this past weekend I really felt it.

8. Tricia@MissSippipiddlin
    October 25, 2016 at 4:33 pm (1 year ago)

I know I should be looking at the salad but I was all about the cupcakes!!!

October 28, 2016 at 9:59 pm (1 year ago)

Haha, yes. I told myself Sunday if I ate my veggies I could have another cupcake for dessert #balance.

9. Jessie @ The Acquired Sass
    October 25, 2016 at 7:45 pm (1 year ago)

High School Football is all the rage where I come from. My brother and I have long since graduated, but my Dad still goes to games every Friday. Kind of crazy if you ask me.

We don’t eat out much, but Saturday night dinner is my favorite. I’m usually go-go-go on Saturday so it’s nice to have a night off from cooking!

October 28, 2016 at 9:58 pm (1 year ago)

Aw that’s so cute your dad still goes to games! And Saturday is my favorite DAY in general, I definitely look forward to cooking a nice meal or heading out on Saturday night. And of course it must include dessert 😉

10. Sarah @ BucketListTummy
    October 26, 2016 at 2:21 am (1 year ago)

Your weekend sounds like the perfect mix of relaxation and social fun! I wish you could bring those cupcakes to my party! I’ve been wanting to try Body Pump forever. Once my marathon is done, I may have to give it a go!

October 28, 2016 at 9:57 pm (1 year ago)

You definitely should try it after training, it’s a great way to get a total body strength workout.

11. Ashley @ A Lady Goes West
    October 26, 2016 at 6:45 pm (1 year ago)

This looks like a nice weekend with just the right mix of activity. And those fall colors and leaves? Love it! We don’t have them yet here in the Bay Area. And seriously, Friday nights in high school are for football, even on away games. Where were all the fans? 🙂

October 28, 2016 at 9:56 pm (1 year ago)

Oh I hope you get some fall leaves soon Ashely! I just love how beautiful the trees look when I’m walking or driving.

12. Julie @ Running in a Skirt
    October 27, 2016 at 12:35 pm (1 year ago)

What a great weekend! I used to take BodyPump– you made me miss it!
    I went to a few football games in High School, but didn’t care much about it. Once I went to UF for college though the football culture kind of sucks you in and now I’m a fan.
    YUMMY cupcakes!

October 28, 2016 at 9:56 pm (1 year ago)

I’m so glad my husband is around a lot of football, because I have always been a huge fan. I guess that might be one of the many reasons we’re together. And you should totally get back into Body Pump! 100 is coming out soon!

October 28, 2016 at 5:31 am (1 year ago)

We used to love going to games on Friday nights in high school. So weird the crowd was so thin! Our team wasn’t even good. LOL!

In other news… that pot pie looks amazing!

October 28, 2016 at 9:55 pm (1 year ago)

Ours wasn’t either, but we always made shirts wore face paint and packed the stands! And the pot pie was the perfect healthy Fall comfort food I was needing Sunday night.

14. Arman @ thebigmansworld
    October 28, 2016 at 8:36 am (1 year ago)

This is why I wish I grew up in America- The high school football games and atmosphere. Luckily I experienced some sports when I studied abroad!

This weekend my friend made bread bowls (Like the San Fran ones) but the rolls were terrible and the soup burnt through and poured on another friend’s dress. That was pretty awesome actually 😀

October 28, 2016 at 9:54 pm (1 year ago)

I’m so sorry you had to miss out on Friday night lights, but any sports experience is usually pretty neat. Too funny about the bread bowls!