Happy Columbus Day!  I hope some of you get to enjoy the day off today, however I will be at work coming off of a great weekend with some family.  We had a great time together in Southern MD and DC and had plenty of good eats to share with you today.

On Friday my Mom and Dad flew into Baltimore from Cleveland for the weekend.  We all attended Tom’s football game Friday night, it the homecoming game and they won 26-0, Wahoo!  It was a great night for football and a win makes the perfect start to the weekend.

North Point Football

On Saturday we were up early and I squeezed in a three mile run outside before it started raining plus a little strength training.  I did these moves from my Cardio and Strength Workout.  Then after chatting with my parents over coffee and some breakfast, smoothies for mom and me and toast for dad, we got ready to and head into DC for the day.  After a short drive we met up with my older sister and walked to Bayou Bakery for some coffee and pastries.  I sipped on an almond milk latte and we all decided to try the beignets, it was actually my first ever beignet!  They were so good, I like them better than a doughnut because they’re a little less sweet.  My sister and I already have plans to head back to Bayou as their breakfast sandwiches also looked very tasty too.

Bayou Bakery

Photo from my Instagram
Get sweaty in style. Carbon38. Shop Now

After chatting for a while over our coffees, since it was a rainy day took an Uber to Founding Farmers where we had brunch reservations, the beignets were just an appetizer 😉  I had been wanting to try Founding Farmers for awhile because I love the story behind the start up of the restaurant.  The restaurant is supplied by hundreds of family farms everywhere and the DC location is the first one they opened.  You can also find a restaurant in MD and VA.  My mom, sister, and I all got eggs with grilled ciabatta and the potato leek hash.  My dad had a waffle with cinnamon syrup and thick cut bacon he said was the BEST he ever had.  We left very satisfied and with full bellies.

Founding Farmers

Of course it was still raining when we left the restaurant but with umbrellas and raincoats we managed to walk around a bit and at least go past the White House for a great photo opportunity.

Mom and Dad DC Weekend Visit

Sweater Ι Shoes Ι Similar Bag Ι Scarf ($16 from Amazon, I want so many other colors!)

And below my sister got her Black Boots via a Gilt City DC Wholesale.  Fashion Wins!

Mom and Dad's DC Weekend Visit

Discover ATL. Up to 55% off at Gilt City

After walking off our brunch we headed back to southern MD to hang out at the house and relax.  Funny story, I asked my second graders what to do with my parents when I told them they were visiting and one girl said I should take them skating, like to a roller skating place.  Most likely she was just thinking of what she likes to do.  Instead we watched some college football and then ordered chicken and ribs from George’s BBQ.  I think Mom and Dad preferred that over skating, hehe.  There are a a few rib shacks in southern MD, and who doesn’t love some good BBQ.  George’s is one of our favorites, chicken and ribs that just fall right off the bone, YUM.  I prepped some sides a few days ahead so we also had this Bacon Potato Salad and my Broccoli Slaw with Greek Yogurt Dressing.  Then after a few beers and watching Alabama take the lead over Arkansas I was ready for bed pretty early.

George's BBQ

Sunday mom and I were up early and did a PIYO workout together.  It was actually a bit more challenging than I thought it would be, but I really liked the constant movement and low impact.  We were both a bit sweaty and our muscles felt warm and lose once the workout was over.  Then after a quick breakfast I had to drive them to the airpot.  It was a short but nice visit.  It’s always fun to take care of your parents for a weekend and prove to them I’m actually an adult, lol.  On my way home from the airpot I couldn’t help but stop by Wegmans for some turkey subs, they’re amazing!

Wegmans Market Sub

Then it was laundry, cleaning, grocery shopping, and meal prep the rest of the day. For dinner we just ate some leftover BBQ and sides, but then I had a sweet tooth and Tom and I ended the weekend with a trip to Sweet Frog for some Froyo.  I had completely forgotten that they have a pumpkin flavor until I saw it on Instagram.  Surprisingly it was my first pumpkin flavored food of the season!  I plan to make some cupcakes and muffins I’ve recently found on Pinterest in the upcoming weeks to catch up on all the pumpkin love.

Sweet Frog

Be sure to follow Sweet and Strong on Instagram and Snapchat as this week I will be receiving meals from Hello Fresh (affiliate link, use CODE FALL50HF for a $50 discount on your fist two boxes EXP OCT 31st).  I received my first week of meals via Rachel, an awesome blogger friend!  I used Blue Apron last week, so I’m looking forward to see which service I prefer.  Hope you all have a fabulous week!

Linking up with Meghan and Katie for todays Weekend Highlights.

Where do you take your parents when they visit?

Have you tried a beignet or pumpkin fro yo?

Have you ever visited DC?

18 Comments on Mom and Dad’s Weekend DC Visit

1. Avatar
    Julie @ Running in a Skirt
    October 10, 2016 at 12:22 pm (3 years ago)

What a fun visit! Love your blanket scarf! I’m in the market for one. I haven’t had a beignet or pumpkin froyo… need to get on that. 🙂

October 10, 2016 at 11:23 pm (3 years ago)

Thanks Julie, they have so many colors I definitely need to order more before the winter months.

2. Avatar
    Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets
    October 10, 2016 at 1:37 pm (3 years ago)

Beignets = Life.

I love the sound of the farmer restaurant. It’s almost like a CSA for dining establishments. How very cool.

I’ve been watching Friday Night Lights. It reminds me of you and your hubby now. 🙂

October 10, 2016 at 11:22 pm (3 years ago)

So neat right, I love supporting the small businesses. And omg we need to watch that show, maybe after the season when my husband is actually home, lol.

3. Avatar
    Emily
    October 10, 2016 at 1:49 pm (3 years ago)

Isn’t working out with our moms really fun? I love working out with my mom, because she’s one of my best friends, and she’s really motivating and upbeat. It looks like you had a wonderful weekend with your mom and dad; this is the second time I’ve heard of Founding Farmer’s! Marina from A Dancer’s Live it recommended it on her blog too.

October 10, 2016 at 11:22 pm (3 years ago)

Yes I love motivating my mom and proving to her she’s not old enough to workout and be fit. And you must try Founding Farmers if ever in the metro area!

4. Avatar
    Mary
    October 11, 2016 at 3:52 pm (3 years ago)

I just got back from DC a few weeks ago and had a wonderful time. It looks like you took your parents to all the good places! Hope everyone had fun and stayed dry 😉

October 15, 2016 at 1:39 pm (3 years ago)

Love exploring the city, so many great sites to see and places to eat!

5. Avatar
    Susie @ SuzLyfe
    October 12, 2016 at 6:58 pm (3 years ago)

How about this: you come visit me, and I will show you around, and then I come to DC and you take me tall of these places? THANKS MKAY BYE

October 15, 2016 at 1:38 pm (3 years ago)

This sounds like a fabulous idea! I have never been to Chicago!!!

6. Avatar
    Cora
    October 13, 2016 at 2:00 am (3 years ago)

I feel like you always take your family to THE coolest restaurants.
    And I’m quite the opposite – I’ve been devouring pumpkin spiced baking like its my day job, but I’ve actually been keeping my eye out for any kind of pumpkin flavored ice cream or fro yo and can’t find any!! If only we could do a mail ice cream/baking swap 🙂

October 15, 2016 at 1:38 pm (3 years ago)

Aw thanks Cora! I still need to get on that pumpkin baking! I have a house party to go to next weekend and need to bring a dessert, so I’ll check out your blog for some recipes to try.

7. Avatar
    Kat
    October 13, 2016 at 2:11 pm (3 years ago)

I love your scarf!! I adore big fluffy scarves like that 🙂 And candy corn on froyo? YES!!

October 15, 2016 at 1:37 pm (3 years ago)

I am one of those people that LOVE candy corn! And blanket scarves are my favorite. I want them in like every design!

October 15, 2016 at 1:36 pm (3 years ago)

Thanks Jan!

8. Avatar
    Alicia @Bridges Through Life
    October 13, 2016 at 11:20 pm (3 years ago)

Such a fun weekend. I love visiting DC. Being in Philly I am not too far away either.

October 15, 2016 at 1:36 pm (3 years ago)

I’ve only been to Philly once, I would love to go again. I love visiting big cities and exploring all the sites and food of course!