Hello sunshines!  I am so thrilled to see the sun shining this morning as it rained ALL Friday and Saturday here in southern MD.  Was quite the wet and dreary weekend.  While I like rainy days every so often I think we had like five in a row, #overit.  Lets get to some weekend highlights.  Linking up with Meghan and Katie to share all the food and fun.

Friday night I went to my husbands high school teams football game.  Being a devoted fan I stayed until the end and sat in the rain and through a 30 minute lightening delay even though they were winning 31-0.  Wahoo!  When I got home I had to change immediately and warm up some leftovers because I was so cold.  Then I watched the first two episodes of This is Us on the DVR.  I can’t decide how into it I’ll get, I liked the idea of the story line though.  Anyone else start watching this new show?

Saturday morning I did the usually treadmill workout and attended a BodyPump class at my local gym.  This has become quite the Saturday tradition, I like getting  a good long workout of cardio and strength training in early on the weekends.  I then treated myself to a much needed mani/pedi.  They were out of the first two colors I wanted that I saw on Pinterest for my nails so not sure how I feel about this really dark color I ended up picking…..

Rain, Celebrations, Cupcakes, and all the Weekend Highlights

Then after hitting the grocery store I came home and started baking some cupcakes for Tom’s birthday.  His birthday isn’t until Tuesday but we usually always celebrate on the weekends.  When Tom was younger his grandma used to make him an eclair cake on his birthday, without having a recipe from her I’ve come up with something similar he enjoys every year.  It’s kind of like a Boston Cream Pie Cake that I make into cupcakes.  I use Sally’s Vanilla Cupcakes and Buttercream recipe and make a homemade vanilla custard to squeeze in and fill the cupcakes with.  Then I drizzle a little melted chocolate on top for a ganache. They are pretty time consuming to make, exactly why Tom only gets them once a year on his birthday.  😉

Rain, Celebrations, Cupcakes, and all the Weekend Highlights

After the cupcakes were done I got ready for us to head out to dinner.  I was so excited to finally be able to wear my tan Tom’s booties I bought at the end of last Winter.  We went to one of our favorite local spots Red Oak Bistro.  They have wine on tap and a great beer selection for Tom.  We decided on fried pickles as an appetizer.   Then for dinner he had the meatball sub with beer battered fries and I was CRAVING pizza so I had ‘The Boss’ which is with pepperoni, chicken and jalapeños and is delicious.  Jalapeños might be one of my favorite things to put on a pizza.  I love some spicy food!  After some good food and adult beverages we were ready to head home.  I gave Tom is birthday present early since he works late during the week.  We usually try to keep birthdays pretty simple so I got him a set of Pilsner Beer glasses he had been wanting and I also ordered a special Alabama one, since that’s his favorite college team.

Rain, Celebrations, Cupcakes, and all the Weekend Highlights

Rain, Celebrations, Cupcakes, and all the Weekend Highlights

Sunday morning I got out for a short run since it had finally stopped raining and I did a Grokker yoga video.  Then it was meal prep, cleaning, blog work/photos, and laundry while watching some football for pretty much the rest of the day.  For dinner I pulled out some leftover BBQ pulled pork from the freezer and made Sweet Potato Waffles from Juli’s Paleo Cookbook and topped them with a fried egg  Sounds weird, I but I had been craving a savory waffle recipe and thought this would be a great combo and IT WAS!

Rain, Celebrations, Cupcakes, and all the Weekend Highlights

For a vegetable side since this weeks Fall Produce Challenge with Ellen from My Uncommon Everyday Life, Priya from Masala Girl Travles, and Kayla from Blondes have more Run is brussels sprouts I made a Spicy Maple version.

Rain, Celebrations, Cupcakes, and all the Weekend Highlights

My favorite way to make brussels sprouts is to roast them with a little olive oil and salt and pepper.  I wash and cut 2 pounds of sprouts and drizzle with 2 tbsp olive oil, and add salt and pepper.  Then I roast them at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes then toss and bake for an additional 6-8 minutes or longer if you like them extra crispy.  A simple flavor addition I do to make the spicy maple flavor is after the first 20 minutes of roasting I add one chopped jalapeño with seeds, 1/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans, and 2-3 tbsp maple syrup and cook for an additional 10 minutes.  Maple syrup and brussels is such a delicious combo and I love adding the jalapeño for a sweet and spicy flavor.

Rain, Celebrations, Cupcakes, and all the Weekend Highlights

Then cupcakes for dessert of course.

Rain, Celebrations, Cupcakes, and all the Weekend Highlights

And that’s a wrap for the weekend.  Be sure to read other Weekend Highlights here.  This week I ordered meals through Blue Apron because my sister sent me a Free Week.  We will be having Beef Open Faced Sandwiches, Five Spice Chicken, and Thai Red Curry and Rice.  Be sure to follow me on Snapchat and Instagram where I’ll share some of the cooking process.

What’s your favorite savory waffle topping?

How do you and your hubby/wife celebrate birthdays?

Have you tried a Meal Delivery Service before?

20 Comments on Rain, Celebrations, Cupcakes, and all the Weekend Highlights

1. Kelly
    October 3, 2016 at 11:19 am (1 year ago)

2 things: I love This is Us, and we have to talk about Toms favorite team…Alabama? Come on! 🙂

October 3, 2016 at 12:31 pm (1 year ago)

I know! I’m hoping a few visits to Columbus will change all of that 😉

2. Julie @ Running in a Skirt
    October 3, 2016 at 12:07 pm (1 year ago)

You are dedicated! I’m not sure I would have made it at a high school football game in the rain. :-))
    I love doing brussels that way too. SOOOOO good. Glad you had a good weekend. I need to see those shoes.

October 3, 2016 at 12:32 pm (1 year ago)

Yea it wasn’t fun, but I had an umbrella, raincoat, and towel. And I wish I would have taken a pic, TOMS makes such heeled shoes now and they’re so comfortable!

3. Kayla @ Blondes Have More Run
    October 3, 2016 at 12:13 pm (1 year ago)

Oh my…that pizza!! It looks incredible! And your cupcakes look like they’re straight out of a bakery! I love your brussel sprouts recipe. Adding maple syrup gives them a totally different (and delicious!) flavor! Thanks for linking up with us!

October 3, 2016 at 12:33 pm (1 year ago)

Aw thanks Kayla, I frosted them after three glasses of wine so definitely not my best, haha.

October 3, 2016 at 2:14 pm (1 year ago)

OH wow, those cupcakes look and sound delicious; we usually keep birthdays pretty simple too. They almost always include cake. 🙂 I did a treadmill workout on Saturday too; do you usually do speed on the treadmill?

October 3, 2016 at 10:15 pm (1 year ago)

Birthdays must always include cake 😉 And YES I do speed intervals on the treadmill usually about 1 min to 30 seconds of sprinting and the same amount of time of rest and I play around with the speeds.

5. Heather Shoberg
    October 3, 2016 at 5:55 pm (1 year ago)

I’m ashamed to say I have yet to try a savory waffle! Even the delicious looking chicken and waffle combo I have yet to try. I think I need to give it a go already since I think even my kids are burned out on standard sweet waffles. Haha!

October 3, 2016 at 10:14 pm (1 year ago)

Yes you must Heather, I hadn’t tried savory waffles until this past year and I had no idea what I was missing out on! So delicious!

6. Melissa
    October 3, 2016 at 6:27 pm (1 year ago)

Ooh i love your nails!! AND those brussels sprouts look so so so good. I have to try that recipe!!

October 3, 2016 at 10:16 pm (1 year ago)

Thanks Melissa, they have grown on me, just looked really black in the nail salon. And yes adding a little extra flavor to brussels makes them even more delicious!

7. Morgan @ Morgan Manages Mommyhood
    October 3, 2016 at 8:31 pm (1 year ago)

Love your nails! I only paint mine dark for fall, and I haven’t yet – now I’m dying to! I’m not a big fan of dark onmy toes though – I actually only paint my toes red or pink. I’m weird. Those cupcakes, though! I love Boston cream cupcakes

October 3, 2016 at 10:17 pm (1 year ago)

Yes usually I’m all about the dark in the Fall. I’m the same way with my feet Morgan. I think it’s because my feet are so pale, the dark colors just draw attention to how white they are, lol.

8. Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets
    October 3, 2016 at 11:18 pm (1 year ago)

You so get the wife of the year award for staying through the entire football game even in the rain and for making these amazing sounding cupcakes. Also, pizza and good workouts for the weekend win!

October 4, 2016 at 12:50 pm (1 year ago)

Aw thanks Meghan. I always let my husband know how lucky he is, hehe. And pizza always makes for a fantastic weekend!

9. Jen @ Chase the Red Grape
    October 4, 2016 at 7:48 am (1 year ago)

Wow now that’s some good eats you had there!
    My hubby and I celebrate birthdays with a meal out and I usually bake something for him to take into work and share with his colleagues. In fact I had better start looking for inspiration as I know this month will pass in a heartbeat!

October 4, 2016 at 12:51 pm (1 year ago)

That’s exactly how we celebrate Jen. Colleagues always enjoy baked treats 😉 I usually get my inspiration from Pinterest or Sally’s Baking Addiction.

October 5, 2016 at 12:45 am (1 year ago)

It was similar weather here in PA too–today it was sunny though! Miracle! Sounds like a delicious weekend! My husband and I typically go out to dinner for birthdays since I cook every single day and we dont get to go out to eat much–its a nice change! Those cupcakes look amazing!