I was totally feeling the post Thanksgiving hangover towards the end of last week and even starting into this one.  Eating delicious food and enjoying time off can be relaxing but it’s hard to get back to reality.  I just didn’t have it in me to be too productive the last few days.  But after starting this week with a few great morning workouts and eating healthy I’m feeling more and more like myself.  How about you all?

With my diet I really try to follow the 80/20 rule.  Where 80% of the time I eat healthy and 20%, which is about 3 meals, is something I wouldn’t normally eat, usually dessert or pizza.  In my Weekend Highlights posts you typically see those three meals where I allow myself to give into a few of my cravings because during the week I am all about the fruits, veggies, lean protein, and complex carbs.

Friday Favorites, Fixate Cooking Episodes and Fixing your Excuses

#balance

img_5882

Knowing the Holidays are only a few weeks away and after more of a 60/40 week during Thanksgiving, a part of me really wanted to restrict myself from giving into ANY of those cravings the next few weeks.  But I just know that’s not reality.  By the time Saturday rolls around I am going to want a meal with lots of cheese, bread, and a glass of wine or two.

img_0029

I feel like restrictions will only lead you to failure in the long run.  After an indulgent meal I used to tell myself, I’m never eating “_____” again.  But in reality, it happened, and it was most likely a binge.  The 80/20 rule is something that has worked incredibly for me in maintaining my health and even becoming stronger than I’ve ever felt.

Vega One Nutritional Shake - Buy Now

It also helps that I feel like I have the support of others around me.  My husband prefers to eat a healthy diet and I also run my Online Challenge groups where we share healthy recipe ideas and hold each other accountable to workout and make healthy choices in the kitchen.  Knowing I have these women counting on me to be their coach always encourages me.

img_6696

Nike Focus Flyknit

Which is why tomorrow I am starting a FREE Online Accountability Group, yes no string attached, just a little gift from me to you.  I will help you get 30 day access to Beachbody On Demand where you will be able to stream workouts such as the 21 Day Fix Extreme, P90X, T25, Hammer &Chisel.  Each day I will provide a workout of the day for beginners and intermediate/advanced, a healthy recipe idea, and daily motivation.  I want you to finish the year strong and get a head start into your New Years Resolutions.  And because helping make people become happier and healthier puts the biggest smile on my face.

If you’d like to be added to the group message me on FB or email me at sweetandstrongblog@gmail.com.  I would love for you to join us!

Now lets get to my healthy eats on Tuesday after my Thanksgiving Hangover for What I Ate Wednesday hosted by Jenn from http://www.peasandcrayons.com, Laura, and Arman.

Post 5:00 am arm workout was the usual smoothie with vanilla Shakeology, almond milk, strawberries, spinach, and a little banana.  And when I got to work I had some steel-cut oats with egg whites and almond butter.  I can’t believe I’m not sick of this breakfast yet, I’ve been eating it for well over a year.

Processed with VSCO with f2 preset

img_0033

For lunch I had leftover turkey on a salad with some roasted veggies and grapes.  It was a yummy combo.  Then I also snacked on a few apple slices.

img_0034

When I got home from work I walked the dog and then ate two hard boiled eggs.

img_0032

For dinner I made Chicken Fajitas in the crockpot.  Super simple just chicken, peppers, onion, I make a homemade fajita seasoning, and also added a can of tomatoes.   I ate mine on two corn tortillas I got at Whole Foods with some lettuce, hot sauce, and avocado.

img_0035

And dessert was two of these Chocolate PB Protein Fudge Bites, no photo but so yummy!

What I Ate to cure the Thanksgiving Break Hangover and How to stay Healthy and Accountable… Click To Tweet

What do you do with your turkey leftovers?

Did you have a Thanksgiving Hangover this week?

What do you do to stay Healthy during the Holidays?

14 Comments on Thanksgiving Hangover, What I Ate Wednesday

1. Mackenzie
    November 30, 2016 at 9:03 am (5 months ago)

Yes! I love the 80/20 rule! So great. I think you are so spot on that it’s so important to indulge in moderation on a regular basis to keep from over indulging at one specific time!!! The thanksgiving hangover is definitely real- for me I felt it in the sodium more than anything! Nothing that a great workout, chugging water, and some fresh veggies can’t fix!! Right? Haha… ok maybe a bit too optimistic. But yes, I feel ya on that. Thank you for the motivation! Have you tried the vegan shakeology? I had a friend give me hers because she didn’t like it and I’m excited to try it. I’m not too picky on most things. Thanks for sharing <3

November 30, 2016 at 4:51 pm (5 months ago)

Yes the sodium! I think that’s what gets me because I feel bloated for dayyyys. But yes I know within a few more days of clean eating I’ll feel back on track. And I tried vegan once in a sample back and liked it, I just prefer the regular since I don’t have a dairy allergy. I really like the taste of all the Shakeology flavors though. And the added vitamins and nutrients is a huge plus!

2. Sarah @ BucketListTummy
    November 30, 2016 at 1:31 pm (5 months ago)

Online groups are so great for accountability. It’s so true about restricting leading to feelings of binges, out of control and unhappiness. I tell my clients to try not to stress too much during the holiday season. Those cookies look amazing!

November 30, 2016 at 4:52 pm (5 months ago)

Restricting really does lead to binges, that was the store of my life in college. While I’m still not perfect, I’ve gotten better. And I can’t wait to start some holiday baking. I love making some healthy and indulgent treats to share.

November 30, 2016 at 2:32 pm (5 months ago)

Ok. So this is weird, but we didn’t have any or barely any leftovers besides pie after Thanksgiving. After struggling with an ED for years, I’ve found that I don’t really change my eating much on holidays, but my body does crave more greens for sure after Thanksgiving and Christmas. <3

Those cookies. Yup. Yum!

November 30, 2016 at 4:53 pm (5 months ago)

NO! Leftovers are the best! That just means you need to do Thanksgiving all over again 😉

4. Evangeline
    November 30, 2016 at 3:14 pm (5 months ago)

I love your shoes. They’re the cutest! It feels good to get back to routine and eat more veggies and nutrient dense foods after a time of indulgence. You are so right, restriction is never good, and it often results in overeating anyway. Balance is the way to go.

November 30, 2016 at 4:54 pm (5 months ago)

Thanks Evangeline, those were a recent purchase since I was desperately in need of a new pair. And yes I’m craving all the veggies now, but I know by the weekend I will want to start some holiday baking. Definitely all about the balance!

5. Susie @ SuzLyfe
    November 30, 2016 at 7:03 pm (5 months ago)

Restriction has never benefited anyone! Not in food, sex (lol), sleep, whatever. I always just go back to my routine, get moving, and be thankful that I had the chance to overindulge a little bit!

November 30, 2016 at 11:28 pm (5 months ago)

I completely agree, once I get moving and in routine I feel much better, but appreciate the relaxation and time to indulge a bit.

6. Stephanie @ Wholesome Paradise
    November 30, 2016 at 8:05 pm (5 months ago)

My hangover feeling wasn’t from Turkey Day, but more so the sugar and candy I bombarded my body with over the weekend. Oops. I’ve been trying to use my turkey leftovers to make healthier meals like turkey zoodle soup.

November 30, 2016 at 11:27 pm (5 months ago)

Yes mine was probably more so from the four slices of cheesecake I ate and all the wine throughout the weekend, lol. And yes I love using turkey leftovers in soup!

7. Cora
    December 1, 2016 at 1:53 am (5 months ago)

All that turkey tryptophan is bound to give anyone a hangover. But hey that’s part of something we only get once or twice a year. Our bodies are pretty smart at craving movement and lighter eats after some indulging, but we don’t need to rush into that either. I sure wish I had some turkey leftovers in my fridge right now!

December 3, 2016 at 10:11 pm (5 months ago)

Yes we literally only make a turkey on Thanksgiving and same with all the sides, so it’s nice to indulge for a bit.