Yay for hump day!  We’re half way through the week.  And literally I think one of my favorite parts about Wednesday is going to visit Laura or Armen to read about or link up for Peas and Crayons What I Ate Wednesday.  Why is looking at pictures of food so fun, especially other peoples food.  Today I’m sharing everything I ate yesterday (Tuesday) along with the recipe I cooked for dinner, Turkey Taco Sloppy Joes, which are so tasty you will want to try making them tonight!

Healthy Turkey Taco Sloppy Joes

Tuesday I woke up and headed down to the garage where I completed an arms and abs Kayla Itsines BBG Workout.  I had an extra ten minutes at the end so I also did some chest presses and rows for additional arm work.  Then I went to go make a protein smoothie.  I made something similar to my Green Pear Smoothie, but also added blueberries.  I usually add either a scoop of Vanilla Shakeology or Vega Protein to my smoothies along with a teaspoon of Maca Powder for added nutrients and energy.  I drank my shake along with a large cup of coffee while reading a few blogs and catching up on the news.  Dark picture, because it was STILL dark out!

Love this Blogging Day Mug my mom got me.

Once I get to work I’m usually pretty hungry.  This week I made a large batch of steel-cut oatmeal, with cinnamon, and added liquid egg whites.  Then each morning I portion some out, add almond butter, warm it up, throw it in a tupperware, and it’s usually still warm by the time I get to my desk.  Similar to my Breakfast Power Oatmeal Recipe.

img_6426

After teaching all morning, we’re working on throwing a ball with correct form in elementary PE, I break for lunch at 1:00.  Yesterday I had a salad with some roasted veggies and chicken I had prepped on Sunday night.  Delicious, but not as yummy as the Sweetgreen and Panera salads I had over the Weekend.  Why is everything better when someone else makes it?  I also had half of an apple, honey crisp of course because they are the best!

img_6425

More teaching in the afternoon, then I leave work around 4:00 to go home and walk the dog right away.  When we came inside I was starving and had two hardboiled eggs and a half of a kombucha.  I was so hungry I forgot to take a picture so here is an old one.

What I Ate Wednesday Week of 9.14

Now to my favorite meal of the day, dinner!  It’s my favorite meal because I usually eat the same thing for breakfast and lunch, but dinner is always something different.  In true Taco Tuesday fashion, I decided to turn Sloppy Joes into a taco after seeing a few recipes on Pinterest.  Because who doesn’t love tacos?!?  And who doesn’t think of their childhood when eating a sloppy joe?!?  It’s so easy to make your own sloppy joe sauce, and now that I’m an adult, I love sneaking in lots of veggies for added nutrients.  In this recipe I just add onion, red, and green peppers.  But I’ve also added carrots and zucchini before.

Turkey Taco Sloppy Joes

You could definitely eat these the tradition Sloppy Joe way, with a bun, but I think it’s fun to wrap them in a tortilla add some cheese, lettuce, and hot sauce and make the into a taco.  I usually use corn or Paleo tortillas for Juli’s Paleo Cookbook.  But my husband prefers flour so I always have both on hand.  I have also made this recipe and a stuffed baked sweet or white potato and that’s quite tasty!

Turkey Taco Sloppy Joes

However you enjoy these Turkey Taco Sloppy Joes I promise they will be delicious and a new family favorite so don’t forget to PIN for later!

Healthy Turkey Taco Sloppy Joes

5.0 from 1 reviews
Turkey Taco Sloppy Joes and WIAW

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Author:
Serves: 4-6
Ingredients
  • 1 pound lean ground turkey
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • half of a white onion, diced
  • red pepper, diced
  • green pepper, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • ½ tsp dried oregano
  • 1 tsp yellow mustard
  • 1 tbsp honey
  • 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
  • 15 ounce can of tomato sauce
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • additional toppings: Mexican cheese blend, lettuce, diced avocado, plain greek yogurt, hot sauce, chopped fresh cilantro
Instructions
  1. Heat oil in a large sauce pan over medium high heat. Add the turkey, onion, red and green pepper, and garlic. Stir frequently, breaking up the turkey meat with a spoon or spatula. Cook until the turkey is no longer pink and the veggies are softened.
  2. Add the chili powder, oregano, mustard, honey, worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper to taste and cook for a minute to allow the spices to cook into the meat.
  3. Then add the tomato sauce and continue to cook until the mixture reaches a simmer. Then continue to simmer for about 5-10 minutes before removing from heat.
  4. To make the tacos spoon the turkey taco sloppy joe filling into a tortilla, potato, bun, or salad and top with any additional toppings.

Turkey Taco Sloppy Joes

Oh and I can’t forget about dessert, even though I’m staying far far away from any more Halloween candy.  After devouring two of these Taco Sloppy Joes, I had one Brownie Energy Bite.  They were an experiment last week, and almost perfected.  Regardless it satisfied my sweet tooth.

img_6427

Healthy Turkey Taco Sloppy Joes, WHAT! And #WIAW #healthy Click To Tweet

You can read more of my What I ate Wednesday Posts Here.

Have you tried making your own Sloppy Joes?

What recipes remind you of being a kid?

What’s one thing you’ve eaten this week?

21 Comments on Turkey Taco Sloppy Joes and WIAW

1. Melissa
    November 2, 2016 at 11:50 am (1 year ago)

I have never had a sloppy joe, but the turkey taco one you made looks delicious! The thought of sloppy joes have always kind of grossed me out, but I think I could handle one that was turkey and taco flavored!

November 2, 2016 at 3:49 pm (1 year ago)

I used to feel the same way Melissa, plus for some reason I always think of the food fight in the Mary Kate and Ashley Movie It Takes Two (know it?), and I couldn’t eat them or mac and cheese for awhile because I thought the food fight was so gross. But now I love these! It was hard to only eat two tacos! Let me know if you try it.

2. Sarah @ BucketListTummy
    November 2, 2016 at 12:01 pm (1 year ago)

Your eats look very similar to mine. And I have that blodding day mug from Francesca’s – I love it! I don’t think I could ever create something as good as Sweet Green salads, sadly. Those brownie bites look yummy!

November 2, 2016 at 3:50 pm (1 year ago)

I have even looked up sweet green recipes to try to recreate some, but nope they still taste better when you get it out. Oh well! It’s good to enjoy a lunch date every now and then right.

3. Morgan @ Morgan Manages Mommyhood
    November 2, 2016 at 12:12 pm (1 year ago)

Taco sloppy joes is genius. I like adding shredded zucchini to stuff to bump it up – it cooks down well and no ones will ever know! I made stuffed peppers last night and did it.

November 2, 2016 at 3:51 pm (1 year ago)

Zucchini is a magical sneaky vegetable! Love it!

4. Stephanie @ Wholesome Paradise
    November 2, 2016 at 12:13 pm (1 year ago)

Have yo tried the almond flour tortillas from Siete Foods? I bet turkey sloppy joe’s would be great in them. And yes, dinner is my favorite meal of the day too for the same reason.

November 2, 2016 at 3:52 pm (1 year ago)

I’ve heard of them but haven’t tried them yet. How are they? I think about dinner all day longggg! Can’t wait for our brinner tonight, lol.

5. Carrie (This Fit Chick)
    November 2, 2016 at 2:04 pm (1 year ago)

Oh, I LOVE sloppy joes!!! That, Kraft mac ‘n cheese and bolognese remind of being a kid! I’ve made sloppy joes before, but just used some spice mix and canned tomatoes– not the best recipe, hah!

November 2, 2016 at 3:53 pm (1 year ago)

Yes! We ate kraft mac and cheese and we called them fried Bolognese sandwiches, which is just Bolognese pan fried like bacon with cheese. I love making homemade versions of my childhood favorites now!

6. Joyce @ The Hungry Caterpillar
    November 2, 2016 at 2:12 pm (1 year ago)

OO yum! What a fun and creative variation on Sloppy Joe’s. This makes me simultaneously want to try your fun taco Joe’s and eat a really traditional sloppy. 🙂

November 2, 2016 at 3:54 pm (1 year ago)

Yes to both! Sloppy Joes are so easy to forget about because I think so many people think of them as a kids meal. But add some veggies and you have lots of nutrients! 🙂

November 2, 2016 at 2:36 pm (1 year ago)

Ooh wow I love sloppy joes! I would love to make this for dinner tonight; I think tonight is ‘taco’ night for us? All of your eats look so good. That big fluffy bowl of oatmeal would be such a comforting, delicious gift to wake up to in the morning.

November 2, 2016 at 3:55 pm (1 year ago)

Emily I can’t tell you how much I look forward to that warm bowl of oats in the morning! And let me know if you try the Sloppy Joe Tacos! Taco night is my favorite.

8. Cora
    November 2, 2016 at 3:38 pm (1 year ago)

It is absolutely true – no matter close close you follow the recipe and make the same ingredients, nothing EVER tastes as good as when someone else makes it. Don’t know what it is… but c’est la vie.
    I looveeeeee my sloppy joes. And I love tacos. So stuffing this into a wrap and topping it with all the melty cheese… oh man….. I’m salivating. Gotta do this.

November 2, 2016 at 3:55 pm (1 year ago)

Yes please let me know if you try it Cora! It was so hard to only eat two last night, but so thankful for all the leftovers 🙂

9. GiGi Eats
    November 2, 2016 at 6:15 pm (1 year ago)

I would love to get EXTRA SLOPPY with JOE!

November 7, 2016 at 10:08 pm (1 year ago)

So true Heather!

November 4, 2016 at 5:25 am (1 year ago)

This is perfect timing! We were literally just talking about how long it’s been since we’d had a Sloppy Joe. I literally think it’s been 20 years!

November 7, 2016 at 10:07 pm (1 year ago)

They’re such a childhood classic right! Time to break that 20 year streak!