Hello friends, and Happy New Year!  I had ever intention of getting a post up earlier this week, but decided to enjoy my last two days of break relaxing on the couch, catching up on Bravo and creating Pinterest Inspiration Boards to finally finish our Master Bedroom and my Home Office.  Rather than making resolutions this year, I have decided to write down small goals for each month and reflect back on them at the end of each month.  Many of this months goals are career and blog related but also wanting to clean up my diet a bit from a few holiday indulgences.

Holiday Break Eats

Speaking of holiday indulgences, I thought I would link up with Jenn from http://www.peasandcrayons.com, Laura, and Armin for What I Ate Wednesday to share some of my delicious and not always healthy eats from the second part of Holiday break.  You can read all the highlights from the first few days of Vacation HERE in Part 1.  While being home I tried to keep my meals balanced.  I still had my normal Shakeology smoothie for breakfast and typically either some Power Oatmeal or Veggies and Chicken for lunch.   But I also took advantage of having some extra time in the kitchen to cook and bake.

Our first night back after traveling for Christmas we just warmed up some of the leftovers my mom sent home with us, thank you mom, they were a lifesaver that night.  After unpacking, laundry, and a late night trip to the store I had no desire to cook.

Healthy Vacation Eats

Once life seemed back to normal I was able to roast some chicken and veggies during the day for lunches.  I also washed, then massaged some kale with lemon and olive oil.  I was so confused on the whole ‘massage’ thing at first, totally get it now.  Makes the kale have a completely different texture!  Also not feeling the traditional apple slices I had a halo orange to satisfy my mid afternoon sweet tooth.

Wednesday night we went up to the high school to watch a boys and girls bball tournament, we got home pretty late, but I was able to quickly whip up these Chicken Spinach and Feta Meatballs with zucchini noodles.  This was such a delicious recipe, I will definitely be making them again.  Luckily I made a double batch so we are having the leftovers from the freezer this week.

Beachbody On Demand

Pizza is Life

Another dinner highlight was Friday we decided to have a homemade pizza night.  We bought store bought dough for convenience and then chopped up green pepper, onion, and mushrooms and cooked some Italian sausage.  We made one deep dish in a skillet and one pizza on the stone with the same toppings.  I couldn’t decide which I enjoyed more.  But the crust on the deep dish is amazing.  We put the toppings in the skillet in the opposite order, meat & veggies, cheese, sauce.  Definitely give this a try if you haven’t already.

New Years Eve

For New Years Eve we had a few friends over to watch the football games.  Tom was hoping for an Alabama win and me Ohio State, at least one of us got our New Years wish.

For Game Day food Tom used his New Masterbuilt Smoker he got for Christmas to make chicken and ribs.

While I prepped all the appetizers and sides.  Charcuteri board, chips and salsa, Loaded Potato Skins,  Mexican Sweet Potato Skins, Kielbasa and kraut, Cheesy Artichoke Dip with pita chips, and veggies all perfectly accompanied the delicious smoked meat.

Up to 55% off at Gilt City

Oh and how about homemade Chocolate Pudding Pie for dessert.

Needless to say we had leftovers for days.

Holiday Break Highlights and all the yummy eats #WIAW Click To Tweet

What recipe have you been wanting to try lately?

Did you make any New Year Resolutions or Goals?

Deep dish or regular pizza?

14 Comments on Holiday Break Highlights #2 and WIAW

1. Stephanie @ Wholesome Paradise
    January 4, 2017 at 1:53 pm (2 weeks ago)

You have me convinced now that I need a meat smoker. Bummed about that Ohio State loss too. Happy New Year!!

January 7, 2017 at 3:43 pm (1 week ago)

I am so excited for us to start using it for meal prep!

January 4, 2017 at 2:48 pm (2 weeks ago)

Woah, a meat smoker, that’s amazing! 🙂 And kale tastes so good especially when it’s massaged.

My New Year’s goal this year is to spend more time in the Bible. I really love reading God’s Word, but I often get distracted by other things. But it really centers me on the truth for the rest of life. So I would love to spend more time in the Word.

I would also secretly or not so secretly love to do a pull-up.

January 7, 2017 at 3:44 pm (1 week ago)

I have the same pull up goal! Have you heard of the assist? My husband got me the bands and I started using two of them this week and did 3 sets of five. Will slowly work my way to a full one.

3. Sarah @ BucketListTummy
    January 4, 2017 at 3:12 pm (2 weeks ago)

Homemade pizza night is my favorite! I love regular pizza, actually thin crust. For me, the fun is in the toppings. That smoker looks so great!

January 7, 2017 at 3:45 pm (1 week ago)

I think I just love pizza and would eat it with any crust! lol. Depends on my mood with thick or thin crust. I also really like using Naan.

4. Joyce @ The Hungry Caterpillar
    January 4, 2017 at 3:37 pm (2 weeks ago)

Whoa! You had quite the spread for your game day party. I bet the guests loved having homemade smoked meats! And a homemade chocolate pudding pie. Getting those things to stand up when you cut them is no easy task.

January 7, 2017 at 3:46 pm (1 week ago)

Yes everyone loved all the food! I love hosting, but hate that it goes by so fast.

January 5, 2017 at 12:07 am (2 weeks ago)

Woah that smoker looks so intense! Is it outside? You are quite a good hostess–those potato skins look awesome!
    Glad you enjoyed the last two days of break! Much needed time to soak up the relaxing pace! I do small goals each month and then have longer term goals in mind too. That way, I celebrate the small victories along the way to the ultimate larger goals!

January 7, 2017 at 3:47 pm (1 week ago)

Love the idea of goal setting to bigger goals. And yes the smoker is outside on our porch, was super neat to watch. And it smelled amazingggg!

6. Evangeline
    January 5, 2017 at 12:07 am (2 weeks ago)

Ooh that chocolate pie looks absolutely incredible. Of all the pies, chocolate is my favorite. I’ve really been wanted to try sweet potato toast! I guess it’s not really a recipe, but I just haven’t had the time 🙂 I have a few running goals for the New Year, but other than that, I’m just open to whatever this new year brings. Happy Wednesday!

January 7, 2017 at 3:47 pm (1 week ago)

I have yet to try sweet potato toast too, I feel so weird putting it in the toaster. So maybe I’ll try in the oven instead.

7. Rachel Gapa
    January 8, 2017 at 11:24 pm (1 week ago)

So I usually hate zoodles – after making them, I force myself to eat them, and every time I go “ugh, these are disgusting, why am I doing this?” OMG THESE MEATBALLS AND ZOODLES WERE SO GOOD!!!!! I can’t believe it!!! Thank you for posting these!!!

January 13, 2017 at 2:18 pm (4 days ago)

So happy to hear this! I def prefer sautéing the zucchini rather than boiling it. And those meatballs, they are so good!!!