A few months ago I noticed my local Safeway grocery store doing some rearranging and renovations.  I thought nothing of it until I walked in one day and was thrilled to see they had expanded the produce section and created an entire aisle for organic health and food.  And I found many certified organic products I would typically need to go to Whole Foods to purchase.  Hoping that you have already made these Healthy Food Swaps, today for Friday Favorites my friends at Positive Health Wellness gave me the idea to share healthy foods I think you should add to your grocery list.  You should be able to find these products at your local grocery store or Target.

5 Healthy Foods to Add to Your Grocery List

Source

Kodiak Cakes

I had been wanting to try Kodiak Cakes for awhile after seeing people endless photos of them on social media.  Usually I am one that likes to make pancakes or waffles from scratch, but I had to see what all the rave was about.

Kodiak Cakes Pancake and Waffle Mix

Last Sunday as you saw on my Instagram I needed to make a quick brunch so I whipped up a double batch of Kodiak Cakes so we also had extras for the week.  The dry mix is made with clean ingredients and uses whole grain flour.  I also like that it’s high in protein and fiber, two key nutrients for a balanced breakfast.  You literally just add water to the mix and then start pancake flipping.  While I will always think my Grandma’s Pancake recipe is the best, these were pretty darn good.  I can see them being extremely practical for families and a much better option than Bisquick mix which contains hydrogenated oils, a huge no, no!

La Croix

Thank you, soda is finally SO NOT COOL!  And sparkling water is the new thing.  While I love just plain sparkling water, when I’m craving something with a little flavor La Croix is the healthiest option.  Some of the other brands promoting flavored sparkling water have not so clean ingredients.  And did you know La Croix is Whole 30 approved?  Amazing!  I have tried a few different flavors, the Lemon and this Pomme Baya Apple Cranberry being some of my favs.

Bean Snacks

These are a crunchy, low calorie snack.  Add them to a salad, hummus, or snack mix when you’re craving something crunchy.  You know I love my spicy food, so I reached right for this Bombay Spice variety from Saffron Road.

PB2 Powdered Peanut Butter

PB2 is the only brand of powdered peanut butter I’ve tried and I’m obsessed!  While peanut butter is high in healthy fats, it’s also high in calories, so the powdered kind could be a good option for some.  I love adding it to my smoothies, mixing it with plain yogurt, or following the directions and mixing with water then eating with fresh fruit.  There is an endless amount of uses for it!

Epic

I had every intention of buying some of the Epic chicken or turkey jerky for this post, but my store was actually all out!  But I have tried and loved their bars, they’re a great sweet and savory combo.  Epic uses a variety of meats, seasonings, and flavors, you will never reach for a traditional Beef Jerky stick again!

I am that person that when I’m not in a rush I love slowly walking down each aisle of my grocery store to see what new items I can find.  I spend most of my time in the meat and produce section, but when shopping the aisles I stop and check ingredients.  And yes usually end up walking away with a few items I want to try that aren’t on my list.  But oh well, I typically enjoy the shopping experience and hope you’ll take the time to find a few of these items at your local store.  And if you’re looking for more guidance on choosing healthier options, be sure to read about my 20 Simple Healthy Food Swaps.

Happy Friday friends click here to read previous Friday Favorites posts.

Healthy grocery items to add to your list #Fridayfavs @enjoylacroix @kodiakcakes @Epicbar Click To Tweet

Vega Snack and Meal Bar Bundle $14.99

What’s the latest healthy item you’ve tried?

Does your grocery store have these products?

What do you wish your grocery store had more of?

15 Comments on Healthy Grocery Store Favorites to Add to your List

February 17, 2017 at 11:41 pm (6 months ago)

Yes I need to try more flavors because I have LOVED the ones I’ve tried so far.

1. Caitlin
    February 17, 2017 at 2:49 pm (6 months ago)

La Croix is SO good but I drank so much during the first trimester pregnancy that 6 months postpartum I still can’t stomach it, haha! Have a great weekend!

February 17, 2017 at 11:42 pm (6 months ago)

Oh no that sounds awful! I also like Bai Bubbles. Have a great weekend as well Caitlin!

February 17, 2017 at 3:10 pm (6 months ago)

I LOVE La Croix; I’ve never tried Epic bars, but they do look really interesting. 🙂

February 17, 2017 at 11:43 pm (6 months ago)

You should try the Epic Bars Emily, they only slightly taste like jerky and I love the added sweetness, I think you’ll like them!

3. Vicky Cristina
    February 17, 2017 at 3:29 pm (6 months ago)

Your post makes me hungry really. Anw the list looks interesting and I’ve never seen them before. I’ll look for them and try

February 17, 2017 at 11:44 pm (6 months ago)

Let me know if you do Vicky!

February 17, 2017 at 8:47 pm (6 months ago)

I think my grocery store has an overall good whole foods section and specialty section. I do wish they had more vegan and dairy free options for yogurt and cheese alternatives though…I always have to go to a specialty market for those!

February 17, 2017 at 11:45 pm (6 months ago)

Yes our dairy free section is extremely small as well. I would love to have a store that had it all so I only had to make one stop!

5. Kat
    February 17, 2017 at 10:32 pm (6 months ago)

Sparkling water has a special place in my heart. I could legit drink it non-stop all day long. I just love that bubbly goodness!

6. Joyce @ The Hungry Caterpillar
    February 20, 2017 at 3:20 am (6 months ago)

I used to love making Kodiak cakes before I had to go gluten-free. Not as good as mom’s, for sure, but still delicious!

February 21, 2017 at 1:46 pm (6 months ago)

Yes that’s the only thing is I wish they made gluten/dairy free options.

7. Cora
    March 2, 2017 at 1:36 am (6 months ago)

In general I wish we had more of the items you guys get down in the states. I’ve never seen La Croix here but I hear so many good things. And those epic bars are so intriguing! Turkey in a bar form with cranberries and almonds!? Is it more like jerky or a granola bar…?
    When I have extra time, I love to just slowly wander the grocery store. I find it therapeutic and relaxing actually, to just shop the items and see what’s new and let my mind wander. So often we grocery shop in a rush and make it a stressful experience.

March 4, 2017 at 1:31 pm (6 months ago)

I feel the same way about grocery shopping, it can be very therapeutic! And the Epic bars are more like a jerky, but taste sweet, def give them a try. And you should just order some La Croix from amazon if you can, it’s seriously amazing!