How much do you love that feeling of stepping outside of your comfort zone and accomplishing something you could have easily walked away from?!?  I LOVE IT!  And I am on such a high right now because this past weekend I spend two full days going through the Initial Les Mills Bodypump Instructor Training.

Today I wanted to share with you my training experience.  I’ll cover the prep work I did beforehand, what we learned during training, and how to pass initial training.

My Les Mills BODYPUMP Instructor Initial Training Experience

Last year I studied and became an AFAA certified group fitness instructor.  I took the online program and learned so much, but felt like I was lacking actual teaching experience and didn’t feel ready to start finding a job at a gym or studio.

Then I was first introduced to Bodypump when I was researching weight training workouts.  I wanted my workouts to focus on less cardio and more strength.  Bodypump workouts use a barbell and weights to work muscles groups in the entire body by doing high repetitions and using low weight.

After attending and loving several Les Mills Bodypump classes at my local World Gym, talking to a few Les Mills instructors, and interacting with the Les Mills team at IDEA WORLD, I decided I wanted to become a certified instructor.  So a few weeks ago I signed up for the Initial Training, received all my materials, and started doing some prep work.

Prep Work

Apparently the trainings used to be three days as opposed to my two day 8:00 am- 6:00 pm training.  But with technology these days, they are able to give you materials ahead of time, allowing you to do some prep work before the first day.

Upon signing up, I immediately received my Instructors Manual, Choreography Notes, the Bodypump 100 Masterclass Video, and all the music for the Bodypump 100 release.  We were asked to do a little reading about Les Mills programs, Choreography, Technique, and Coaching, and then watch a few videos and answer questions in the Instructors Manual to prepare.  In all, the prep work probably took me a little over an hour.  And I enjoyed reading the material, it motivated me to start training.

I decided to print the Instructors Manual, but many others in training just used their iPads or laptops.

Les Mills Bodypump Instructors Training Prep Work

Prepping and snacking

Before training I was also given a track number I would be presenting and one I would shadow.  For those of you familiar with Bodypump I did the Chest track and shadowed during Back track.

To learn the choreography I watched and did the Masterclass video for my track a few times and followed along with the choreography notes.  Once I thought I had it down I listened to the music alone and practiced choreography.  I didn’t focus on cuing or coaching, as I knew those were skills we would learn at training.

Les Mills Bodypump Instructor Training Day 1

After feeling confident with all my prep work, I was ready for day 1 of training.  I was up early to make the drive to Crofton, MD and be sure I arrived early.  I packed a change of clothes, including extra shoes, deodorant, my computer, chargers, Bodypump Instructor Manual, pens & highlighters, snacks, and had lunch and extra water in a cooler.  You would have thought I was leaving for the weekend, hehe.

My Les Mills Bodypump Initial Training Experience

Yes Les Mills is sponsored by Reebok and I wore Nike and Adidas, opps!  And everyone  needs a pair of these Alo Leggings, so comfortable! But the room was freezing so I also brought two sweatshirts.to wear when we were listening to our coach.  And was jealous of the people that brought blankets.

The beginning of training was mostly introductions, then we went right into doing the entire Bodypump 100 release.  After the workout we had a break then came together as a group to discuss the Key Elements of a Les Mills Instructor and what type of instructor we want to be.

Les Mills Bodypump class

We practiced and worked on improving our technique for each of the main Bodypump exercises and discussed cueing for set and execution position of each move.  At this point I kind of felt on information overload.  I know how to properly perform each move, but I definitely have some memorizing to do on giving proper cues to keep participants safe.  But we are given all this information in our Instructors Manuel.

To finish Day 1 we wrote a script for the beginning of our track for set-up and execution cues.  We were then given time to practice the choreography and cuing of the first two minutes of our tracks before presenting.   I was so nervous for my presentation.  I was confident with the choreography, but I was scared to mess up while trying to talk at the same time.  But once it was over I felt so much better and more confident in myself.  After our presentation the instructor provided us with some positive feedback and skills to work on for Day 2.

Les Mills Bodypump

Oh did I mention that as everyone was presenting we were participating and following along with all of the moves.  I didn’t put my regular weight on the bar for each track but was still feeling like I got a second workout in.  I was so exhausted when I got home I immediately took an epson salt bath, practiced a bit more, ate dinner, then was in bed by 9:00 p.m.

Day 2 of Training

Day 2 started off with us doing our presentations for a second time while the instructor took a video.  We watched everyones videos together and again were provided with some feedback for our final presentation.  Most of the feedback was on using proper form.

Then things got pretty crazy when we were asked to grab a ton of weight to set up for the Bodypump Challenge.  We had a partner and a series of exercises to complete.  Partners took turns working so the other acted as the motivator.  I loved the workout and it was such a fun activity to practice what I would say to help motivate participants in my class to the finish of a set, rep, or track.

The purpose of the exercise was not just to get us up, moving, and lifting, but to find ways we can connect to our participants and motivate them.  I thought it was a super unique activity and really liked the message behind it.

Les Mills Bodypump Challenge

After lunch we met again as a group to further discuss some of the Key Elements of a Les Mills instructor and had more time to script in coaching cues before getting ready for our final performances.

Les Mills Bodypump Initial Training

I was second to go and overall I felt I cued the choreography well and gave enough coaching cues.  I knew I forgot to say one key safety cue though which made me nervous, but I PASSED with a 3/3 for Choreography, Technique, and Coaching, YAY!  You have to remember they’re not looking for perfection.

The only downer of the Initial Training is I am still not technically a Les Mills certified Bodypump instructor.  After initial training you have 60 days to memorize the entire release (all 10 tracks) and submit a video of yourself teaching an actual class.  Once you pass the video you will receive your certification.  While it’s hard knowing I’m only about half way to becoming an instructor, I do like that Les Mills doesn’t hand out certificates easily.  Your certification is definitely earned.

Overall it was a great weekend.  I learned all the key elements of being a great instructor and know I have things to learn and improve on.  I’ll keep you posted when I officially get certified!

And since this blog is also about my sweet tooth and love for sugar.  After working out for hours two days straight, I decided to treat myself to some Fractured Prune doughnuts.  The store was literally right next to the gym, I had to!  Don’t worry I shared with Tom, the Carnival with sprinkles and French toast with maple glaze were my favorites.

Fractured Prune Doughnuts Menu Post Workout Meal, Fractured Prune Doughnuts

Shared these on my Instagram Sunday night.

Halfway to becoming a @lesmills Instructor, read about my Initial Training Experience #lesmills #Bodypump Click To Tweet
UPDATE

To prepare for filming my video I practiced the release at home A LOT!  I used a broom stick as my barbell, I was practicing so much there was no way I could use actual weight.  When I was confident with my choreography and Level 1&2 cues for a few of the tracks I reached out to my local gym and started co-teaching with two of the Bodypump classes each week.  I did this for about a month until I had taught every track to an actual class while co-teaching.

When I was ready to shoot my video I filmed during one of the actual scheduled classes at the gym and just made the participants aware that I was filming, but they weren’t in it.  I used an iPad AND my phone just in case there were technical difficulties.  I shot and submitted the video with the Les Mills App.  The app made it extremely easy.  And NO my video wasn’t perfect, I mixed up the choreography at one point in the squats track, forget to stretch at the end of chest, and had poor cuing at one point in shoulders.  But remember we’re our own worst critiques, I had to tell myself they weren’t looking for perfection.

You are scored on your Choreography, Technique, and Coaching Level 1&2 cues.  After submitting my video I only had to wait a few days (even though they say it could take two weeks) before receiving an email that I had passed my certification!  YAY!  If you don’t pass the first time though, you can use the feedback they give you to re shoot and submit your video.

Les Mills Bodypump World Gym

Once you’ve passed and received your certification you’ll automatically receive each new release.  And after subbing several times all summer I FINALLY have my own class. Tuesdays at 5:45 AM!  Great way to start the day teaching and completing a Bodypump workout.

Please feel free to email me or comment below if you have any questions/if you’re interested in becoming Les Mills certified.  I’d be more than happy to help 🙂

Enjoyed Reading This?  You May Also Like:

Quick and Sweaty Partner AB Workout

Quick and Sweaty Partner Ab Workout in Chill by Will attire

What to Expect at a Pilates Reformer Class

Solidcore Pilates Reformer Studio Class Review

Six Ways to Use a Foam Roller

6 Ways to Use a Foam Roller. How to Foam Roll using the TriggerPoint GRID

Linking up with AnnmarieNicoleMichelle, and Jen for Wild Workout Wednesday.  Check out other great Gym or At Home Workouts on my Fitness Page.

Have you ever done a group fitness instructor training?

What’s your favorite group fitness class?

What’s something you’ve done recently that was outside of your comfort zone?

53 Comments on Les Mills Bodypump Instructor Training Experience

1. Emily @ Always Emily H.
    February 8, 2017 at 12:45 pm (2 years ago)

This post was so helpful. I love BodyPump and would love to become an instructor one day!

February 9, 2017 at 11:59 pm (2 years ago)

Oh Awesome Emily, let me know if you have any questions!

February 8, 2017 at 1:11 pm (2 years ago)

Congrats on finishing this! You absolutely deserved that doughnut haha! I think in the future I’d love to do a group exercise certification. I used to be a dancer and dance teacher and miss that teaching aspect.

February 9, 2017 at 11:59 pm (2 years ago)

You definitely should look into getting certified Heather, maybe Barre would be similar to teaching dance.

February 8, 2017 at 3:23 pm (2 years ago)

I’ve never done a fitness instructing course, but I follow a few people including you who are trainers, and I really have so much respect for you all because it seems tough. I’ve realized just how much work goes into prepping for a class, and wow, I’m thankful for you all.

February 10, 2017 at 12:00 am (2 years ago)

There is SO much work that goes into prepping classes. Quality instructors are always prepared 😉

4. Joyce @ The Hungry Caterpillar
    February 8, 2017 at 5:22 pm (2 years ago)

Wow–this sounds like an amazing and exhausting weekend! I’ve always loved BodyPump. I don’t do it at the moment because it’s not offered at my gym–because I’m a student, I can go to my campus student rec for free, and they offer really great group fitness classes. But I’d really like to get back into group fitness.
    Best of luck going through the final steps of getting your certification. That does sound super-nerve-racking, but I’m sure you’ll be amazing.
    Those donuts are well-earned. 🙂

February 10, 2017 at 12:01 am (2 years ago)

It is super nerve racking! But I’m glad it’s not like some certifications that you get after like an hour of training.

5. Annmarie
    February 8, 2017 at 5:23 pm (2 years ago)

I’ve heard great things about Les Mills, love that they don’t hand out their certs either!!

February 10, 2017 at 12:01 am (2 years ago)

I know right, it’s definitely earned.

6. Kimberly G
    February 8, 2017 at 6:43 pm (2 years ago)

Congrats! I’ve heard nothing but good things about Les Mills and I’ve heard that they Bodypump classes are super intense!

February 10, 2017 at 12:02 am (2 years ago)

They are pretty intense, but for anyone at any fitness level because you can control the intensity with your weight. I love seeing some of the older ladies in my class. I just want to tell them YOU GO for still caring about your health.

7. Nicole @ Fitful Focus
    February 8, 2017 at 11:22 pm (2 years ago)

This sounds like a great experience! You’re going to be an awesome instructor!

February 10, 2017 at 12:02 am (2 years ago)

Aw thanks Nicole 🙂

8. Sarah @ BucketListTummy
    February 8, 2017 at 11:39 pm (2 years ago)

I absolutely love that feeling of stepping out of my comfort zone and accomplishing something new – it gives such a high! And those donuts look amazing 🙂

February 10, 2017 at 12:03 am (2 years ago)

I was literally on cloud nine when I got my eval. I just wish I wasn’t so scared to try new things in the first place.

9. Lisa @ Mile by Mile
    February 9, 2017 at 12:14 am (2 years ago)

Wow, how awesome that you are doing this! I used to take Body Pump all the time and I loved it! I considered teaching for a long time but never took the leap. Now I dont have a gym membership so I dont take the classes anymore. They were such a great workout!

February 10, 2017 at 12:04 am (2 years ago)

Les Mills does classes On Demand now which I think is really cool for anyone that can’t go to a gym.

10. Amanda
    February 9, 2017 at 12:39 am (2 years ago)

Aw man I want to try Body Pump now more than ever! I have got to bite the bullet. Despite my best efforts, just cannot get into a good groove with strength training on my own. Thanks for the awesome inside look!

February 10, 2017 at 12:04 am (2 years ago)

Body pump is a great place to start for learning about strength training. You learn a bunch of moves you can apply outside of class.

11. Autumn @ AutumnPTW.com
    February 9, 2017 at 3:01 am (2 years ago)

I used to do bodypump classes back in the day. They were so much fun and a great workout. Im sure youll get your cert, you got this 😉 Those donuts look amazing!

February 10, 2017 at 12:05 am (2 years ago)

Thanks Autumn, I’m nervous to memorize the whole release and film. But maybe I should get donuts at the end of that too to motivate me, hehe.

12. Ashley @ A Lady Goes West
    February 15, 2017 at 2:25 am (2 years ago)

Welcome to the tribe! I am so happy that you went through training and were able to put yourself out there. It’s not easy to do! I went to BODYPUMP training back when it was three days, and it was my first program, and I was so nervous. But the beauty is, you just keep getting better as the years go on and always keep learning. Have you started team teaching at World Gym yet to get in front of a real class on the mic? I’m here for you if you need any advice! Go girl!

February 15, 2017 at 4:25 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks Ashley! Before training I did read a few of your posts and you’re advice is always so helpful. I am still focusing on learning the tracks, so hoping to start team teaching soon. And yes they said this would be the hardest release we’ll ever learn bc it’s the first. It’s just so much to remember, but I know once I practice I’ll get it down!

• Meg
        May 23, 2018 at 3:24 am (3 months ago)

So cool to read about your experience and success. I just passed RPM and am now working on the video submission. So excited!

May 28, 2018 at 5:41 pm (3 months ago)

Congrats on doing RPM, that’s a program I’ve thought about because I love spin.

• Meg
            May 28, 2018 at 7:03 pm (3 months ago)

Thank you! I recommend it highly. I was awesome! I can now appreciate the amount of work (and fun) that goes into delivering a class. Instructors like you were my inspiration. Thanks!

May 29, 2018 at 6:31 pm (3 months ago)

Yay awesome! I can’t wait to hear what it’s like when you start teaching your own class!

13. Tracey Hill
    June 8, 2017 at 4:36 pm (1 year ago)

This was extremely helpful as I’m preparing to go to instructor training this coming weekend! BodyPump 102!

June 8, 2017 at 7:48 pm (1 year ago)

OH I’m so glad Tracey. Are you learning 101? What track do you have?

14. Michael Keiffer
    July 24, 2017 at 2:01 pm (1 year ago)

Hello there! I really enjoyed reading about your BODYPUMP training experience. I have just recently finished the initial training (Release 102) in Las Vegas a week ago. I passed the initial training and I have started to team teach at my gym with a great instructor.

I was curious to know if you have submitted your video and if you received your certification. I have to admit, it was easy to prep for two tracks at training but now the real work begins as I have to learn all 10 tracks for the 102 release. I think the warmup, cool down and abs tracks will be pretty easy, and my assigned tracks were Back and Triceps, so that really only leaves 5 “hard” tracks left to learn!

I hope I can do this!! Thanks again for sharing!!

July 24, 2017 at 5:28 pm (1 year ago)

Hi Michael. Congrats on finishing your initial training. That’s two tough days of a lot of work. And I took a lot of time to learn all 10 tracks. I followed the method they gave us in initial training and learned choreography first, then scripted in my cues and laying cues. Then I practiced A LOT, co taught for a few weeks, and filmed myself once before the actual take. I shot my video at my local gym with pretty much a full class and used the Les Mills app. A few days later I found out I passed. Please feel free to email me with any questions. You definitely got this!

15. Dalia
    September 13, 2017 at 1:22 am (11 months ago)

Hi! Hoping to attend training soon, but I’m not support strong and still do push ups on my toes. Will this be a problem? Thank you!!

September 14, 2017 at 10:01 pm (11 months ago)

Hi Dalia! I do push ups from my knees too! No worries, you’ll do great. Feel free to email me with any questions.

16. Dalia
    September 13, 2017 at 1:23 am (11 months ago)

Edit: not super strong, push ups on my knees!!

17. Chenoah Saubert
    December 18, 2017 at 6:40 am (8 months ago)

Mind sharing what this pays per class and on average how many you can expect to do in one week without injury or burnout? Also, does the gym hire you or what’s he process of getting in?

December 19, 2017 at 10:17 pm (8 months ago)

Hi Chenoah. It most likely depends on the gym on how much you get paid and if they hire you. My gym is contracted so when a time slot opened up I already had the relationship with them from subbing.

And I would suggest about three classes a week at most to avoid burnout.

18. Corinne Busby
    January 26, 2018 at 1:54 am (7 months ago)

Hi! I have my training in two weeks…so you only presented your chest track on the first and second day to be critiqued, right? When did you shadow the back track? On the second day?

January 27, 2018 at 8:51 pm (7 months ago)

Hi Corinne! Yes I presented the first two minutes of chest on the first day and then the whole thing on the second. Our instructor never had us ‘follow’ a person, rather we just did it as an entire group. I would be prepared and know the choreography to both though. Email me if you have any other questions!

• Corinne Busby
        January 27, 2018 at 11:36 pm (7 months ago)

Cool, thanks so much! I’m super nervous of course. I really appreciated your post!

January 29, 2018 at 2:29 pm (7 months ago)

It’s definitly a nerve racking experience, can’t lie about that. But you’ll feel so great once you’ve accomplished it!

19. Carina Smith
    March 15, 2018 at 5:52 pm (5 months ago)

Great post!! I attend my training THIS weekend, and I’m so nervous! I have my tracks memorized, but presenting has me so jittery, I’m afraid I’ll forget. But, I loved reading your post and the comments. So helpful, thank you!!!

March 15, 2018 at 10:38 pm (5 months ago)

Hi Carina! OH good luck, you’ll do great! And once you go through training and practice you’ll do great with the presentation. I was so nervous too but it was all good 🙂 Let me know how it goes and if you have any questions feel free to email me as well 🙂

20. Jennifer
    March 26, 2018 at 9:03 pm (5 months ago)

Hello! I’m getting ready to do my initial training in April – so excited! Can you tell me – the Alo leggings you mention – are they required?

March 27, 2018 at 11:25 am (5 months ago)

Hi Jennifer! Oh that’s so excited you’re doing your initial training soon. And NO they are not required, I was just linking to the outfit I wore and laughing that I forgot Les Mills was sponsored by Reebok and I totally wore other brands. You can wear any workout clothes you want. And I suggest packing some long sleeves, our room was freezing the entire time. Let me know if you have any other questions!

• Jennifer
        March 27, 2018 at 5:31 pm (5 months ago)

Thanks! I was so glad you mentioned the Reebok thing because I’m planning to get a new pair of sneakers before training and had wondered if I should get Reebok. ; )

March 28, 2018 at 10:12 pm (5 months ago)

Yes I know Reebok makes some good Bodypump shoes, I don’t have them though. But you get a 20% discount once you get your certification!

21. Leah
    July 3, 2018 at 5:04 pm (2 months ago)

Thanks so much for sharing your experience! I’m attending my training in the next month, and honestly, I’m SO nervous. I worry that I won’t be able to handle it! I’ve been shadowing a class for a month and even taught a track last week, and it went really well, but I feel like I’ll never be able to teach all 10 tracks, or that I’ll miss reps, or that I won’t be using enough weight. I don’t know how I’ll remember it all (coming from a girl who did theatre her whole life). How did you find it was best to memorize tracks, and how did you talk yourself up to know that you could accomplish everything?

July 5, 2018 at 11:38 am (1 month ago)

Hi Leah! First of all let me tell you that I am a HUGE introvert so the thought of teaching at first (and still sometimes does) terrify me. You can do this and it will feel so amazing when you accomplish it! As far as tracks, I found that me practicing and practicing really helped. I used a broomstick and did each track a few times through each day leading up to filming my video. You’ll find memorizing gets easier with time and once you know the music that also helps. I know as a fact I messed up some of the choreography of my video I submitted and still passed, as long as you can get back on track. Even with teaching classes now, I still get nervous, I take an hour to prep the night before class, and yes I still sometimes miss reps, but it doesn’t matter, no one in the class cares. I can’t wait to hear about your experience so keep me posted and let me know if you have any other questions!

22. Maile
    July 5, 2018 at 3:18 pm (1 month ago)

Hi! I know this is an older post, but I am in the middle of getting my ACE Personal Trainer Certification with the plan of ultimately teaching group fitness and have always LOVED Les Mills BodyPump. Do they require you to have any type of certification before you can take the instructor training or could I go ahead and apply? Thank you for sharing your experience!

July 5, 2018 at 3:33 pm (1 month ago)

Hi Maile,

Oh that’s awesome on working on getting your Personal Trainer Certification, that’s something I’ve always thought about doing. As far as Les Mills though you do NOT need any other certification. The two days of training are crammed with knowledge, but I think having your personal training cert. will make you a better and more knowledgable instructor. Please don’t hesitate to email or ask any other questions. I’m happy to help 🙂

23. Moussa
    July 18, 2018 at 12:45 pm (1 month ago)

Great work,
    just done my cxworx instrutor programm, wanna jump to bodypump and grit.
    this will help. 🙂
    big hug from germany.

July 18, 2018 at 1:48 pm (1 month ago)

Hi Moussa, I’m so glad this was helpful and I would love to learn another Les Mills program as well, they’re the best. Let me know how it goes 🙂