Well hello friends!  Hope you had a wonderful relaxing or fun filled weekend and are ready for this Monday.  I am coming off a fun but still relaxing weekend and I have plenty of highlights to share with you.  As I mentioned in Fridays post, Tom and I headed into DC for the day/night for a much needed little getaway.  We relaxed Friday night to prepare for an eventful Saturday filled with seeing the cherry blossoms, a Caps game, and many delicious eats.

We were both up early as Tom had to work an event up at school in the morning, so I decided to use the time to go for a long run to prepare for the 10 mile Cherry Blossom Run next weekend.  This will be the longest race I’ve ever run, I’m nervous but excited.  I didn’t track my miles, just ran for a little over an hour and thirty minutes.  I stretched, ate breakfast, showered, then packed my bag for the night.

Staying in the City

We arrived at our hotel the Grand Hyatt Washington around 1:00 pm.  The Grand Hyatt is within walking distance to the national mall, across the street is City Center DC, and only four blocks away from the Verizon Center, making it the perfect location for all the things we had planned.  I also always like choosing hotels with a restaurant, bar, and fit club.  The Grand Hyatt has two restaurants, Cure Bar and Bistro serves lunch, happy hour, and dinner.  And Cabinet serves breakfast and weekend lunch.  I was also told both restaurants can accommodate dietary needs and have vegan options, which I thought was great.  While we didn’t have time to go to either because of our shortened stay, we did sneak a peak inside and at the menus which looked very tasty.

Grand Hyatt Washington

We were able to check into our room right away, set our bags down, and then head on out to be tourists for the day.  The hotel atrium was absolutely stunning, perfect photo op.

Grand Hyatt Washington

Converse Shore Line Slip Ons

Touring DC

It was about a mile walk to the Washington Monument where we stopped to take a few pictures and then grabbed a bite to eat from a food truck.  The DC food trucks have definitely taken off within the last few years, from gyros, Mexican, Indian, BBQ, fried chicken, ice cream, there was a type of cuisine for whatever you would be craving, not just hot dogs and soft pretzels.  A chicken pita wrap totally hit the spot for both of us.

With the really warm temperatures in February, then cooler more recently, the cherry blossom trees were only about 50% bloomed.  Many of the buds died early or may not have bloomed at all.  I have been previous years when the trees were much brighter, but the view and scenery never gets old.

It was a perfect Spring like weather day, partly cloudy and 70 some degrees so we decided to also walk over to the Lincoln Memorial and see the reflection pool before ending our tourist adventure.

After all that walking we both agreed a beer was well deserved.  We stopped at Capital City Brewing Company for one of their seasonal drafts.  And doesn’t beer taste so good after walking around on a warm day!

We headed back to our room and were treated with a nice surprise form the Grand Hyatt, chocolate and wine, which we enjoyed while freshening up and getting ready for the night.

Grand Hyatt Washington

Birthday Dinner and Hockey Game

Being my Birthday getaway I picked Pi Pizzeria (pizza of course) for us to eat dinner at which was just a short walk from our hotel.  Pi Pizzeria has a great draft beer menu, featuring many local breweries.  We enjoyed a deep dish South Side Classico and made our own thin crust with pepperoni and jalapeños.  Both were so delicious I couldn’t pick a favorite, and we can’t wait to head back and try some of their other specialty pi’s.

Pi Pizzeria DC Pi Pizzeria DC

After dinner is was a quick walk to the Verizon Center for the Capitals Game.  We had both never been to a hockey game and I was pleasantly surprised by how much I was entertained.  Probably because they move insanely fast on the ice and several shots are taken on goal, making the game interesting.  After a scoreless second period, the score was tied by the third, which made for an exciting final three minutes when the Caps came back and scored twice in a row to win the game.

Washington Capitals Washington Capitals

Now it just wouldn’t be a weekend getaway without a little sweet treat.  We headed to Milk Bar, and waited in an extremely long line to get milkshakes and a cookie.  I had visited Milk last weekend with my sister and got the traditional cereal milk soft serve with crunch and sprinkles I shared on my Instagram, it literally tastes like cereal milk, so crazy.  This time I got the crack pie shake which was chocolaty and super delicious and we split a chocolate cookie.  We finished our shakes in the hotel atrium and then being full and exhausted decided to call it an early night.

Milk Bar DC

Sunday Sunday

Sunday morning started with some Starbucks coffee that was located in our hotel lobby.  Another major perk of staying in the Grand Hyatt.  We debated about what to do for brunch, as I initially wanted to dine at The Smith nearby, but we were both in the mood for something more casual.  We drove a few miles over to my sister’s neighborhood in Capital Hill to try to get into Ted’s Bulletin.  They had an hour long wait though, bummer.  But then I remembered getting beignets when my parent’s were in town at a bakery nearby that also served breakfast sandwiches.  So we walked to Bayou Bakery and after a little wait enjoyed biscuit bacon, egg, and cheese sandwiches, potatoes, and an order of beignets to share of course.

Bayou Bakery

The rest of Sunday was pretty much just getting ready for the week.  Meal prep, laundry, and I did a quick 30 minute yoga session to relieve some of the tension in my hips from all the running and walking on Saturday.  Then we settled down for a movie at night.  And that wraps up our fun little weekend, now I’m ready for a week of some clean eats and good workouts.  Have a great Monday =)

Cherry Blossoms, a Caps Game, DC Eats, and the Weekend Highlights @grandhyattdc Click To Tweet

Thanks to Meghan and Heather for the Week in Review and Weekend Highlights link up.  You can view other Weekend Highlights posts here.

Have you ever visited DC?

What was the highlight of your weekend?

36 Comments on Cherry Blossoms, a Caps game, DC Eats, and other Weekend Highlights

1. Julie @ Running in a Skirt
    March 27, 2017 at 12:41 pm (2 months ago)

What a great weekend! I’ve been to DC several times over the past few years, but never at Cherry Blossom time!
    Glad you guys had fun.

March 27, 2017 at 10:06 pm (2 months ago)

Oh you MUST plan a trip one year around the cherry blossoms. It’s really hard bc it depends on the weather, but so worth it!

2. Carrie this fit chick
    March 27, 2017 at 1:39 pm (2 months ago)

The weather looks beautiful!! And I LOVE your outfit- totally my style, girl! Great eats and treats this weekend! I had a lovely weekend and saw Beauty and the Beast- totally recommend!

March 27, 2017 at 10:07 pm (2 months ago)

So glad you hear you liked Beauty and the Beast, I have been wanting to go see it!

3. Sarah
    March 27, 2017 at 2:19 pm (2 months ago)

good luck with the cherry blossom run! I’m hoping I’ll be up to run it next year. I can’t run that far yet haha Also, I’m glad you got to see some of the cherry blossoms. They started blooming super early this year and then the freezing weather killed them off. I was really looking forward to seeing them in their full glory – it’s our first year living here during the spring.

Sarah
    Midwest Darling

March 27, 2017 at 10:08 pm (2 months ago)

OH the blossoms were still beautiful, but so not as bright as I’ve seen them before. I guess we’ll just have to hope for better weather next year right. And YES, get on that training and join me for the run next year 😉

4. Kelsie | the itsy-bitsy kitchen
    March 27, 2017 at 3:59 pm (2 months ago)

It looks like you had an awesome weekend! That’s great! I’ve never been to DC for cherry blossom season but now it’s on my to-do list 🙂

March 27, 2017 at 10:10 pm (2 months ago)

Yes you MUST go! It’s so beautiful. Hope you had a great weekend too Kelsie.

5. Kathy Wesbury
    March 27, 2017 at 4:45 pm (2 months ago)

Sounds like a great birthday weekend! Nice to see Tom, too!

March 27, 2017 at 10:11 pm (2 months ago)

Haha he does exist, and I do make him do things with me. Now he’s good for another few months 😉

6. Heather
    March 27, 2017 at 5:54 pm (2 months ago)

Those cherry blossoms are lovely! Looks like an amazing weekend!

March 27, 2017 at 10:11 pm (2 months ago)

It was a lot of fun, hope you had a good weekend as well Heather!

7. Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets
    March 27, 2017 at 7:03 pm (2 months ago)

Being a tourist in your own city (or a nearby city) is such a good time. That’s why I love having company. I get to be a host and do interesting things I might never checked out before. The cherry blossoms in DC are spectacular. I’m glad you had a wonderful birthday getaway weekend with a yoga nightcap. 🙂

Happy Monday and thanks for linking up.

March 27, 2017 at 10:12 pm (2 months ago)

Yes being a tourist in your own city is so fun. Especially when it also involves new food and drink places 😉

March 27, 2017 at 9:08 pm (2 months ago)

What a great weekend getaway! I’ve always wanted to go to the Cherry Blossom season at DC but haven’t made it there yet! We have a cherry blossom festival in Philadelphia that’s nice but its a much smaller scale. Looks like some AMAZING eats as well!!

March 27, 2017 at 10:13 pm (2 months ago)

Cherry blossoms are beautiful regardless. I wonder if yours in PA bloomed more than the ones here.

March 28, 2017 at 1:43 pm (2 months ago)

It took me a few years of living in southern MD to really venture into the city more, now I love it!

9. Jen @ Chase the Red Grape
    March 28, 2017 at 3:43 am (2 months ago)

Isn’t it so nice to have a break away, even if it is just for one night. David and I really are in need of one and soon!

March 28, 2017 at 1:44 pm (2 months ago)

Yes even just for a night, it’s so nice! Even though I didn’t want the night to end, but that just means we’ll have to plan another one soon.

10. Susie @ Suzlyfe
    March 28, 2017 at 11:09 am (2 months ago)

What a fun weekend! I love being a tourist in my own city. Those cherry blossoms… geez I miss the East Coast spring!!

March 28, 2017 at 1:45 pm (2 months ago)

Yes I’m sure there’s so much to explore in Chicago. And hoping you get some spring weather soon! I know everyone here is so over Winter.

11. Sarah @ Sweet Miles
    March 28, 2017 at 2:24 pm (2 months ago)

Those cherry blossoms are beautiful! My mom and I were JUST talking about how bad we both want to visit DC! I’ve never been – my 8th grade trip was cancelled because it was the year of 9/11 🙁 I can’t wait to just SEE it though, so much history!

March 30, 2017 at 7:37 pm (2 months ago)

omg we were in 8th grade the same year! We still went on our bc it was in march. But YES you should visit and please let me know if you do!

12. Kaylee Gross
    March 29, 2017 at 12:09 am (2 months ago)

Most definitely sounds like a relaxing weekend, which are oftentimes even harder to come back from the following week. Thanks for the reminder that I need to spend more time being a tourist in my city, Dallas. I am also so envious that you got to go to Milk Bar! Twice!!! Do you have a preferred pizza crust choice?

Good luck on that upcoming race! 👍

March 30, 2017 at 7:38 pm (2 months ago)

Yes definitely always take some time to explore your own city, and it’s so fun staying and spending the night. Oh milk bar is SO good! And oh pizza crust, definitely depends on what I’m in the mood for, at this dinner I really loved both!

13. Allie @ agalnamedal.com
    March 29, 2017 at 2:08 am (2 months ago)

I love D.C. and can’t wait to take my husband and son for a visit in a few years! My parents just went this past fall, and they said RPM Italian (Bill and Giuliana Rancic’s restaurant) was really delicious. They said don’t bother making reservations- sit at the bar instead to get in easier.

March 30, 2017 at 7:39 pm (2 months ago)

OH I’ve heard of that and love going out for Italian food, so we’ll definitely have to check it out.

14. Joyce @ The Hungry Caterpillar
    March 29, 2017 at 4:58 am (2 months ago)

Wow–sounds like a tiring but really enjoyable weekend. That third picture of the cherry blossoms is absolutely stunning. I know what you mean about the weird February temps followed by cool temps in March–it was that way when I went to visit my folks in Kansas, as well.

March 30, 2017 at 7:40 pm (2 months ago)

They are so beautiful! Now I’m ready for Spring to be here full time, it’s still been pretty chilly in the morning.

15. Sarah @ BucketListTummy
    March 29, 2017 at 1:46 pm (2 months ago)

I have been seeing so much about milk bar, I am so jealous! Also the cherry blossoms are beautiful – happy belated birthday! Looks like a great weekend.

March 30, 2017 at 7:41 pm (2 months ago)

Thanks Sarah. And yes milk bar is so good. Bummer they’re only in DC and NYC!

16. Kelli @ Hungry Hobby
    March 29, 2017 at 2:15 pm (2 months ago)

What a fun little US getaway! I’ve never been to DC but I really want to go!

March 30, 2017 at 7:41 pm (2 months ago)

Yes those getaways are sometimes much needed right! And you should definitely plan a trip to DC, so much to see and do!

17. Gretchen
    March 30, 2017 at 5:25 pm (2 months ago)

Your pictures are so gorgeous! The cherry blossoms are amazing. Good luck in the race this weekend!

March 30, 2017 at 7:42 pm (2 months ago)

Thanks Gretchen, it’s such a beautiful site.