Even as a teacher Spring Break is such a little tease right before summer.  I had a great week relaxing, getting organized, spending time with my sister that was visiting, working out, and eating delicious food.  And I can’t wait to have this routine everyday over summer vacation, 37 more days, but who’s counting?!?  I really wanted to make it here for a Weekend Recap of all the Highlights, but unfortunately my family received some sad news on Sunday and I just didn’t feel like putting all the words together for you.  My grandfather, who was 94 years passed away on Easter Sunday.  It was his time and I am so happy he’s in a better place and not in anymore pain.  But living far away from Cleveland where him and my parents are, makes any family matter difficult.  I headed home last night and the rest of my sisters and family will arrive later this week for a memorial on Friday.

My grandfather absolutely loved food.  He loved the gathering around the table, interacting with others, and of course eating delicious meals.  Below is the last photo I have of us where I’m helping him figure out his Facebook account.  Yes my 94 year old grandfather had a Facebook.  Today in his honor I thought it was only appropriate to share with you a What I Ate Wednesday post of all my eats over Spring Break.

Breakfast

In the Spring/Easter spirit I made these Healthy Carrot Cake Muffins for us the Sunday before Easter.  I substituted oat flour for wheat and they turned out perfect.  Mine were topped with almond butter and the glaze in the recipe for Tom.  I ate them after my workout a few days during the week off for a quick post workout meal.

On Easter Sunday my sister’s and I decided on Cava Mezze for Brunch.  I had been wanting to try it for awhile because of the rave reviews.  We selected the All You Can Eat Brunch, which was $35 per person and must be ordered by your entire party.  You then get bottomless mimosas for $.25 and as many of their tapas brunch plates as you want, totally worth it in my opinion.  I literally loved every single item we ordered.  My favorites were the brussel sprouts eggs benedict and chicken and waffles.

Needless to say we got our money’s worth and left with very full bellies.

Lunch

Is it sad that I was soooooo excited to be able to fry eggs at home for lunch while on break?  Literally obsessed with any combination that includes some sunny or running eggs.  Here is one plate with some Green Giant Frozen cauliflower/broccoli Rice, OE eggs, and guacamole with some veggies and grapes.  Such a delicious combo!  I ate this or something similar everyday over break I was home for lunch.  Soon I’ll be back to eating salads at my desk, boo.

One day my sister and I met up with our older sister, aunt, and uncle at Union Market.  Union Market has several different options for food, but we all decided we wanted Takorean a Korean style taco stand.  I made a half and half bowl with brown rice, kimchi, chicken, and all the spice!  Oh and I had to add a soft egg of course 😉

Dinner

I promise things got more interesting than fried eggs for dinner.  I made my Ham and Cheese Strata recipe one day to take the photos and we actually ended up eating the casserole for dinner that night.  The day my sister arrived Tom grilled chicken and veggies and I roasted potatoes, but we forgot to take any pictures.

My sister and I went shopping one day and I was so excited that Cava Grill was located in the mall.  Cava is a build your own Mediterranean bowl or pita restaurant, and so delicious.  I ordered the greens and grains with brown rice, arugula, chicken, veggies, harissa, hummus, crazy feta, and some yummy toppings.  All bowls are served with a small warm pita, YUM!

One night we needed just a little something to eat and decided to build our own pizzas at &pizza.  Can you tell I like restaurants where I can choose all my toppings!

Whenever my sister and I are together we love to have a night where we just eat snacks, like cheese, crackers, veggies.  Oh and wine of course!  We also made Maple Glazed Doughnuts for dessert.  They turned out so amazing, but sadly didn’t last long enough in the house for me to get any photos of.  I guess that means they were throughly enjoyed!

Linking up with Jenn for What I Ate Wednesday

It wouldn't be a Spring Break without delicious eats #WIAW Click To Tweet

What’s your favorite Easter meal?

Do you like to ‘Build Your Own’ at restaurants?

Tell me something delicious thats been on your plate.

16 Comments on What I Ate Wednesday, Spring Break

1. Carrie this fit chick
    April 19, 2017 at 2:20 am (3 months ago)

Oh my gosh, SO many great eats in this post. Drooling over that poached egg! LOVE build your own at restaurants. I also customize things, so that makes me feel less bad hah!

April 20, 2017 at 12:25 pm (3 months ago)

The poached egg and brussels was SO good.

2. Stephanie @ Wholesome Paradise
    April 19, 2017 at 1:38 pm (3 months ago)

So sorry for your loss. I feel like Spring Break was created for teachers, not students. Have a great week!

April 20, 2017 at 12:26 pm (3 months ago)

Thank you so much Steph! And YES I think I’m more excited about breaks than the kids.

3. Kelli @ Hungry Hobby
    April 19, 2017 at 1:43 pm (3 months ago)

YUUUUMM, I remember that feeling of being excited for fried eggs in the middle of the day! Half the reason I now work from home – fried eggs. JK ! looks like you had a great week!

April 20, 2017 at 12:26 pm (3 months ago)

So glad I’m not the only one that gets excited for some fried eggs, lol.

4. Evangeline
    April 19, 2017 at 2:54 pm (3 months ago)

I’m so sorry for your loss. I remember when my grandpa passed away. I was little, but I remember how much it hurt me and my parents to be far away (my grandparents lived in CA and we live in PA) from everyone while we grieved.

I’m glad the weekend was restful and full of yummy food. Spring break is such a tease. I’m looking forward to summer too 🙂

April 20, 2017 at 12:27 pm (3 months ago)

Aw thank you Evangeline. Glad that my sisters and I are all able to get home this week and be with my parents. And SO ready for summer as well!

5. Susie @ Suzlyfe
    April 20, 2017 at 11:01 am (3 months ago)

BYO is my favorite. Your grandfather would be proud of you! Sorry for your loss.
    But I love salad bars, places like Cava, and anywhere that I can make something JUST the way I like it!

April 20, 2017 at 12:28 pm (3 months ago)

Thank you Susie! And there really needs to be more BYO places, I LOVE them!

6. Kaylee Gross
    April 20, 2017 at 7:57 pm (3 months ago)

It still amazes me that different states Spring breaks can be so far apart! Props to your grandpa. Facebook confuses even me.
    Nothing wrong with eggs. I’ve completely been on an egg kick lately. Dee-lish! I’m eyeing that brussels egg benedict and Korean fusion meal for sure.

April 21, 2017 at 8:53 pm (3 months ago)

I love eggs on just about everything! Definitely obsessed with them. And yea it’s a tad annoying that my mom always has a different spring break than me, but oh well. Yay for summers off.

7. Miss Polkadot
    April 20, 2017 at 8:40 pm (3 months ago)

Patricia, I’m so sorry for your loss. Judging merely from the picture he looks like he was such a kind person. And a pretty cool grandpa for using Facebook!
    We don’t have any build-your-own type of restaurants where I live but one of this kind is my favourite when visiting Berlin. It’s a Mexican place and I’m a big fan of their customisable burrito bowls.

April 21, 2017 at 8:54 pm (3 months ago)

Yes customized burrito bowls are delicious. And thanks for you kind words about my grandfather.

8. Esther
    April 24, 2017 at 9:25 pm (3 months ago)

So sorry about the loss of your grandfather. They are so special.

Sounds like the time with your family was good though.

Xo

April 25, 2017 at 9:23 pm (3 months ago)

Yea in a weird way it was a really nice weekend to be around family and celebrate his life.