A recipe for Healthy Baked Turkey Meatballs using lean ground turkey, Italian spices, and definitely not sacrificing in flavor.
Happy Friday! I could not be more excited for today as it’s my last day of work before a week off for Spring Break. Wahoo! My little sister will be visiting for part of the week from California, so I’ll be spending a good part of the weekend getting the house ready for her arrival. You better believe her visit will include a lot of delicious food, fitness, and fun like when I went out west to see her. Be sure to follow along on Instagram.
Now for todays recipe. I’m surprised it took me so long to share these Healthy Baked Turkey Meatballs with you because they are a hit in our house for a quick meal during the week or a date night in. I also always prepare them for small social gatherings as they are easy to make ahead of time and reheat in a crockpot. I use ground turkey and bake them to make them a little leaner. And I prefer serving with a side of zucchini noodles over regular pasta to make it a low carb meal.
I initially made turkey meatballs with just the 99% fat free turkey and they were way too dry. So the next time I experimented with this recipe I mixed 93% lean turkey and 99%, my grocery store carries Shady Brook Farms ground turkey that I really enjoy.
With some panko, eggs, and spices, the combo of the two different ground turkey meats was perfect. And since I used two whole ground turkey containers that were each a little over a pound each, we had plenty of leftovers. These meatballs easily freeze and make a quick meal on a busy weeknight or they would be great for meal prep.
Prepping the meatballs takes no longer than 10 minutes. Then I bake them with some olive oil spray rather than frying to keep them leaner and lighter on the calories.
Now for the sauce. I am a huge fan of a marinara sauce and have loved and used this recipe so much that I easily have it memorized. I shared it a few years ago here on the blog, but the photos are in serious need of a makeover. If you don’t have time to make your own feel free to use your favorite store bought version.
You might choose to put these over pasta, spaghetti squash, eat them sandwiched on a little slider bun, or use a spirlaizer to make zucchini noodles. However you choose they will be a delicious!
Healthy Baked Turkey Meatballs Recipe
- 2 pounds ground turkey, I use one of each 99% and 93% lean
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup yellow onion minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons fresh Italian Parsley chopped
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a large baking sheet with non stick cooking spray and set aside. I use an olive oil spray.
- Combine all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl and shape into about 24-one inch sized meatballs.
- Spread the meatballs out on the prepared baking sheet. You will likely need to bake two batches.
- Spray the tops of the meatballs with non stick cooking spray before placing the sheet in the oven.
- Bake for 10 minutes, flip each meatball and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes until they are cook through.
- Combine with your favorite marinara sauce, pasta, or veggie noodles. Top with fresh herbs and parmesan cheese if desired.
If you make these Healthy Baked Turkey Meatballs be sure to tag me on Instagram @sweetandstrongblog and use the hashtag #sweetandstrong, enjoy!
Delicious Healthy Baked Italian Turkey Meatball recipe for meal prep or a dinner date night Click To Tweet
Like This Recipe? Then Try:
Italian Chicken and Vegetable Kabobs
Mediterranean Chickpea Salad with Vinaigrette
Slow Cooker Quinoa Enchilada Bake
Linking up with Esther, Annmarie, Farrah, and Jess for Foodie Fridays. And you can view other Healthy Recipes here.
What’s your favorite type of sauce?
Zucchini noodles, pasta, or spaghetti squash?
What are your plans for this weekend?