We are almost to Memorial Day weekend! I love that it’s the unofficial start to Summer. The sun is out, pools are open, and of course all the outdoor BBQ’s. Today I’m sharing a recipe for a Mediterranean Chickpea Salad with Vinaigrette that you can make for cookouts planned over the weekend. It’s one of my favorite savory side dishes to bring to any gathering.
This salad is full of chopped veggies, delicious, and super easy to put together, no baking required. Similar to the Couscous Salad I posted last Summer. Which means if you need to whip up a quick side dish, I got you covered!
Usually when attending a cookout or gathering I like to bring something sweet like cupcakes, cookies, or brownies along with a healthy side dish, because I’m all about balance. I love that this savory salad isn’t potato or pasta based like most summer salads. It’s just made with chickpeas, veggies, feta, olives, and with a simple and tasty vinaigrette. Feel free to leave out or add ingredients as you like. I usually also bring along a bag of pita chips to serve with this Mediterranean Salad, but it’s also delicious by itself.
- For the Salad: 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped
- 1 cup grape tomatoes halved or quartered
- 1 medium cucumber, sliced and quartered
- 1/3 cup pitted kalamata olives, chopped
- 4 oz feta cheese, crumbled or cut into small cubes
- For the Dressing:
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place all salad ingredients in a large bowl and toss to combine.
- In a small bowl whisk together the dressing ingredients. Then pour over the salad and toss to combine.
- Refrigerate for one hour to marinate or serve immediately.
- Serve by itself, on a bed of greens, or with pita chips.
[bctt tweet=”Vegetarian Mediterranean Chickpea Salad perfect for your weekend #BBQ #cookout #memorialday” username=”sweetandstrong_”]
Linking up with Jenn for What I Ate Wednesday and Esther, Annmarie, Farrah, and Jess for Foodie Fridays. And you can view other Healthy Recipes here.
What’s your favorite side dish at cookouts?
Any Memorial Day weekend plans?
Tell me something that’s been on your plate lately.
And let me end this on a sweet note. Might I suggest these Strawberry Cupcakes with Creamy Strawberry Buttercream for dessert this weekend, Mmmmm.