Hello friends!  I hope you had a fun filled or relaxing weekend.  Mine was a little combination of both and as always went by way too fast.  Let’s get to all the weekend highlights that include spin, poke bowls, and a date night.

Friday after work I went to the grocery store and came home to clean house and cook dinner. Pretty uneventful.  We watched an episode of Southern Charm and then called it in for an early bedtime.

Saturday morning I was up bright and early to meet my sister in DC for a spin class.  I recently signed up for Class Pass (referral link) after finding out Flywheel and a few of my other favorite studios were on it.  We decided to jog to class from her house and then do 60 minutes of spin, holy cardio!  I was dripping sweat and exhausted by the end.

Flywheel Sports DC

After class we showered and then left to walk around a bit and stopped in Macy’s and then found a Nordstrom Rack.  My sister found some cute work outfits and I purchased a pair of peep toe booties I was excited about.  Soon we were both starving and headed to Poke Papa which is actually across the street from Flywheel.  We both love sushi, but had never tried Poke before.  At Poke Papa you can either build your own or order a signature bowl.  I went for the Onolicious with forbidden black rice and added salmon and some lava sauce.  They also had a ‘sprinkles bar’ with toppings such as sesame seeds, furikake, crispy onions and more.  Not only did our bowls look beautiful but they were delicious.  Poke bowls totally lived up to all the hype and I can’t wait to visit Poke Papa again!

Poke Papa DC

With full bellies we then went to the nail salon for some much needed pedicures and relaxation time.  I always leave the massage chair on so long that my back gets sore the next day.  Does that happen to anyone else?  After pedicures I headed back home to southern MD.  It was late afternoon when I got home and Tom and I had plans to go out to dinner together later.  But it gave me just enough time to make a dessert.  I’m slowly working my way through Sally’s Baking Addiction Blog, her recipes are simply the best.  Somehow this week I wasn’t craving anything chocolaty so I made her Lemon Pound Cake.  I let the cake cool as we headed out the door for our date night.

Rocksbox

Blouse // Similar Shoes // Necklace from Rocksbox use code sweetandstrongblogxoxo for a FREE first month and read more about the subscription box here.

We ate outside on the patio at Galazio’s, a greek restaurant down the street.  We ordered a bottle of Pinot Noir to share along with meatballs, Flambe Saganaki (breaded cheese), and a pizza.

Galazio's Restaurant

Galazio's Restaurant

We finished every last bite and enjoyed sitting outside on the patio furniture by the heater.  And of course as soon as we got home we dug right into the lemon pound cake. Then spent the rest of the night chatting and listening to music over a little more wine.  Sometimes it’s nice to have a night with your significant other with no tv or phone distractions.

lemon pound cake

Sunday morning was a much needed sleep in followed by some morning yoga.  After yoga I made some scrambled eggs and avocado toast with a side salad for lunch.

Then we were pretty boring just finishing up the weekly to do’s.  Laundry, meal prep, and I took some photos for a recipe this week.  Tom started making dinner in the early afternoon, a smoked pulled pork using his Christmas present.  I was in charge of the sides, Couscous and a Chickpea salad.

Then of course more lemon pound cake for dessert.

Lemon pound cake

And that pretty much wraps up the weekend.  I’m so looking forward to Memorial day next week and getting the extra day off.  And only three more weeks left of the school year, wahoo!

Spin, Poke Bowls, Date Night, and other Weekend Highlights @Pokepapadc Click To Tweet

Thanks to Meghan and Heather for the Week in Review and Weekend Highlights link up.  You can view other Weekend Highlights posts here.

What was the highlight of your weekend?

Have you tried poke bowls yet?

What’s your favorite way to spend a date night?

16 Comments on Spin, Poke, Date Night and other Weekend Highlights

May 22, 2017 at 12:24 pm (7 months ago)

Poke bowls are so good!!!! A poke place just opened up in town and I not pretty much always looking for an excuse to go. Love your date night outfit!

May 22, 2017 at 9:10 pm (7 months ago)

Yes I can’t wait to go back and eat more Poke, I don’t want to change my order though because it was so delicious. I’m hoping maybe it will get my husband to try raw fish as well.

2. Carrie this fit chick
    May 22, 2017 at 1:45 pm (7 months ago)

So much yummy food this weekend! I’ve actually never had poke, but it’s HUGE here in SF. A lot of my co-workers get it from a truck nearby for lunch!

May 22, 2017 at 9:10 pm (7 months ago)

I think that’s how this restaurant started as a poke truck. If you like seafood you MUST try it!

3. Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets
    May 22, 2017 at 2:09 pm (7 months ago)

I really need to find myself a Poke bowl. I hear so many good things.

Also your weekend was glorious and kind of reminds me of how I used to spend my days before the tiny human came along. Spinning, yoga, great food, nights out, shopping… thankfully, we’re finally started to get out a bit more again. The great weather helps too.

Happy Monday.

May 22, 2017 at 9:11 pm (7 months ago)

Yes you need to find poke, I looked it up when I was in clevaland a few weeks ago and no luck. But let me know if you find a place. And glad you’re making it out a bit more with the hubby. Spending quality time together with or without kids is so important in my opinion.

4. Kaylee Gross
    May 22, 2017 at 2:58 pm (7 months ago)

What a pretty pound cake! That yellow is the epitome of spring/summer!

I’ve tried poke bowls once when a nearby restaurant was selling half-priced bowls on their opening day but haven’t been back since. 😣 Need to plan to go to one of the many poke shops that have popped up around here.

My weekend highlight was just getting down time relaxing and watching the new season of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt on Netflix!

May 22, 2017 at 9:13 pm (7 months ago)

Yes I would definitely suggest trying poke at a place that just serves that. Everything was so fresh looking at Poke Papa. Glad you had a nice weekend Kaylee.

5. Joyce @ The Hungry Caterpillar
    May 22, 2017 at 3:57 pm (7 months ago)

I have the most random question: how do you pronounce poke? Is it like the thing you do to annoy your friends when you’re five (or an adult on Facebook)? Or do you pronounce the ‘e’?
    I’m with Kaylee. That pound cake looks perfect for the start of summer. Glad you got to get some relaxing time with your sister and hubby. 🙂

May 22, 2017 at 9:14 pm (7 months ago)

Haha I would have had no clue how to say it if my sister didn’t tell me about it. You pronounce the e so it’s like poke-eh. And the lemon cake was SO good and I love the natural lemon color. I had fun taking pictures of it.

6. Bethany
    May 23, 2017 at 1:56 am (7 months ago)

I really miss taking spin classes. That cakes looks yummy!

May 24, 2017 at 10:22 pm (7 months ago)

I LOVE a good spin class every now and then. You really should take one soon and then eat some cake after 😉

May 23, 2017 at 12:48 pm (7 months ago)

I want to try a poke bowl–they look so good! Your weekend food is always on point!!!

May 24, 2017 at 10:23 pm (7 months ago)

You definitely need to try poke after your little one is born. And I literally live for the weekends and the having the time to go to eat or make delicious food.

8. Ashley @ A Lady Goes West
    May 24, 2017 at 3:34 pm (7 months ago)

Wine and poke bowls! Ohhh how I miss them both! Sounds like a LOVELY weekend, Patricia! 🙂

May 24, 2017 at 10:25 pm (7 months ago)

Aw I know sorry those pictures must be torture right now!