Hello there!  Hope your Wednesday is off to a great start.  If you’re like me by Wednesday I’ve usually crushed a few workouts since the start of the week and am feeling pretty sore.  Whenever your muscles are sore, stiff, or tight, that doesn’t necessarily mean you should stop exercising.  You most likely just need to massage your muscles or focus on flexibility workouts, like yoga or stretching.  While I love some yoga, I’m often looking for something I can do quickly that will relax my entire body.  That’s why I’m so happy I discovered Foam Rolling.

6 Ways to Use a Foam Roller. How to Foam Roll using the TriggerPoint GRID

Leggings // Top // Sportsbra

Foam rolling can be done pre or post workout, or as a session in itself.  It has great benefits including easing tight muscles, knots, or kinks that prevent you from moving easily.  It can also help with flexibility and aid in preventing injury.  I’ve started to notice foam rollers at many different gyms, but they’re super affordable and in my personal opinion way better than paying for a professional massage.

Trigger Point Therapy self massage rollers

My friends at TriggerPoint gifted me their most popular roller, the GRID, and a few other self massage hand held tools I shared in this post.  The grid roller helps target tough to relieve spots.  I personally prefer the grid design over the soft foam because I like a tougher massage.  Today I wanted to write 6 of my favorite ways to use the foam roller that target almost your entire body.  There are additional moves you can perform, these are just some of the spots I always feel tight in.  It’s suggested to roll over each spot for at least 30 seconds to one minute and up to about 15 minutes per day.  Since many of the moves require you to use your bodyweight, you can also control the amount of pressure.  And you should never roll over joints, such as your knees.  After the pinable image, please PIN for later 😉 I go through each move and the target range of motion.  Happy Rolling!

6 Ways to Use a Foam Roller. How to Foam Roll using the TriggerPoint GRID

Glutes

Sit on the roller with your right foot resting on top of your left thigh.  Roll forward and back targeting the entire right glute, then switch sides.

6 Ways to Use a Foam Roller. How to Foam Roll using the TriggerPoint GRID

Hamstrings

Place the roller under your hamstrings.  Using your body weight you could roll both or one at a time.  Roll from just above your knees to your butt, and be sure to target the inner and outer areas in this position.

6 Ways to Use a Foam Roller. How to Foam Roll using the TriggerPoint GRID

Calves

Place the roller under your calves.  Using your bodyweight either roll both legs at a time or individually.  Move your body forwards and back to target the entire calf, including inner and outer areas.

6 Ways to Use a Foam Roller. How to Foam Roll using the TriggerPoint GRID

Upper Back

Lay on the roller placed at your upper back.  Cross your arms in front of you and maintain a neutral spine.  Roll from the upper to mid back, up and down.

6 Ways to Use a Foam Roller. How to Foam Roll using the TriggerPoint GRID

IT Band

Lay on one side with the roller by your hip, roll down to just before your knee and back, rolling the outer leg.  Then switch sides.

6 Ways to Use a Foam Roller. How to Foam Roll using the TriggerPoint GRID

Hip Flexors

Lay face down with the roller under your hip flexors.  Roll from the hip to mid thigh, up and down.

6 Ways to Use a Foam Roller. How to Foam Roll using the TriggerPoint GRID

Now you’re ready to ROLL!

Ready to Roll? Here's how to #foamroll #wildworkoutwednesday @tptherapy Click To Tweet

Linking up with Annmarie for Wild Workout Wednesday and Amanda for Thinking Out Loud.  And check out great Gym or At Home Workouts on my Fitness Page.

Do you Foam Roll?

What’s a good workout you’ve done recently?

Where are you typically the most tight?

30 Comments on 6 Ways to Use A Foam Roller

1. Evangeline
    June 21, 2017 at 11:55 am (3 months ago)

I’m usually tight in my glutes and hamstrings. I don’t have a foam roller, but this will be helpful to use as a guide when I finally buy one. Right now, I use one of my mom’s rolling pins to alleviate some muscle soreness. It actually does a pretty good job 🙂

June 21, 2017 at 3:34 pm (3 months ago)

Oh I hear those rolling pins are great! Did you see the movie The Accountant? He used one with a ton of pressure that makes me cringe thinking about them though.

June 21, 2017 at 2:06 pm (3 months ago)

I am always so tight in my hamstrings and calves, sometimes my glutes too. I need to ask for a foam roller for my birthday.

June 21, 2017 at 3:35 pm (3 months ago)

Those are my tight spots too Emily. A foam roller would be a great Bday gift!

3. Ashley @ A Lady Goes West
    June 21, 2017 at 3:44 pm (3 months ago)

Yay foam rolling! I think it can be a total game-changer for people, and I LOVE to roll. I have a very firm roller, which can almost hurt a little, just how I like it! hehehe

June 21, 2017 at 9:13 pm (3 months ago)

Yes sometimes when I roll it hurts but feels good at the same time, lol.

4. AMANDA @amandaisms
    June 21, 2017 at 4:38 pm (3 months ago)

I woke up SO sore so this isn’t great 🙂 thank you!!

June 21, 2017 at 9:13 pm (3 months ago)

Oh yay! Let me know if you try these moves and how you feel after.

5. Kimberly Hatting
    June 21, 2017 at 6:40 pm (3 months ago)

I started foam rolling before most of my runs (as well as continuing to roll afterwards). I could really feel a difference…less stiffness and much quicker recovery. I’m a believer!

June 21, 2017 at 9:14 pm (3 months ago)

Hi Kimberly! I’m definitely a believer in the quicker recovery. And great idea to roll before and after your runs, I’m sure that made a huge difference.

June 21, 2017 at 9:15 pm (3 months ago)

Glutes and hamstrings are my two favorite spots to get. Hope you get some rolling in this week!

6. Bethany
    June 21, 2017 at 8:48 pm (3 months ago)

I NEED to start doing this for my hip flexors. Great pictures!

June 21, 2017 at 9:17 pm (3 months ago)

Thanks Bethany! And yes I’m always tight in my hips, but I noticed if I roll my hip flexors, IT band, and hamstrings I feel a lot better. You should definitely give rolling a try.

7. Nicole @ Fitful Focus
    June 21, 2017 at 8:59 pm (3 months ago)

I need to use my foam roller more! I love all these exercises when I’m not too lazy to do them!

June 21, 2017 at 9:18 pm (3 months ago)

I usually roll at the end of my workout when I’m ready to be DONE. But I force myself to spend some time rolling out all the major muscle groups. It can be super time consuming though.

8. Kelli @ Hungry Hobby
    June 22, 2017 at 4:00 am (3 months ago)

I have a small foam roller like that I literally take every where with me!

June 22, 2017 at 1:06 pm (3 months ago)

I love that they’re easy to transport! And they make mini ones now that will fit in your suitcase.

9. Sarah @ Bucket List Tummy
    June 22, 2017 at 12:59 pm (3 months ago)

Great post and reminder about foam rolling. It really makes a big difference in how I feel after a tough run or workout.

June 22, 2017 at 1:06 pm (3 months ago)

Doesn’t it! I love a good stretch, but foam rolling just feels so different and really helps my muscles relax.

June 22, 2017 at 1:10 pm (3 months ago)

I love foam rolling! My hamstrings get super tight, the foam roller has made a huge difference.

June 23, 2017 at 1:45 pm (3 months ago)

Hi Emily, my hamstrings get so tight too. I have definitely noticed a huge difference once I started using a foam rolling. Happy rolling!

11. Mary | Momma Be Fit
    June 22, 2017 at 3:51 pm (3 months ago)

Foam rolling hurts so good! It’s so painful but well worth it. Thankfully my gym has a variety of sizes to use, but I also have a Tiger Tail for home use that works wonders on smaller muscles.

June 23, 2017 at 1:46 pm (3 months ago)

OH that’s so nice your gym has different sizes. And it really does hurt so good and my muscles feel so much better when I’m done!

12. Erinn
    June 22, 2017 at 8:24 pm (3 months ago)

Thank you for the foam rolling tips!
    I definitely don’t do it as much as I should :/
    Usually my hips are the tightest, I need to make foam rolling part of my regular routine again!

June 23, 2017 at 1:47 pm (3 months ago)

Hi Erinn, I’m always really tight in my hips too. Probably from running and being on my feet all day. Foam rolling really does make a huge difference. Let me know if you start getting back into it.

13. Annmarie
    June 23, 2017 at 11:15 am (3 months ago)

I love using my foam roller for my upper back! Feels so good!

June 23, 2017 at 1:47 pm (3 months ago)

YES it’s so great for your back. I love that I don’t need to pay for a massage as much anymore.

14. meg dixon
    June 24, 2017 at 5:58 pm (3 months ago)

I need to start foam rolling so hard!! It’s sad that I don’t already… Thanks for these tips!

June 27, 2017 at 6:34 pm (3 months ago)

Hi Meg, I hope you’ll give these moves a try. It really is great for tight and sore muscles and makes a HUGE difference.