Good Morning!  Hope you had a great first weekend of Summer.  Mine was filled with a good mix of fun and relaxation.  I had my parents and sister staying with us for my Uncle’s wedding in Annapolis.  It’s always nice to host your parents, have a reason to explore the city, and of course eat delicious food.

Friday morning I was up early and got in a treadmill interval workout.  I always feel so good after this workout and finished with some stretching and abs.  Then it was home to prepare an oatmeal bake for the family.  I made a batch of steel cut oats and egg whites in the crockpot ahead of time and let everyone just add their own toppings.  Then early afternoon we heading into DC to meet up with my older sister at Union Market.  I’ve been to Union Market several times and it’s one of my favorite lunch spots because there are a variety of vendors to choose from.

Union Market DC

Dress // Shoes // Rocksbox earrings, use code Sweetandstrongxoxo for first month FREE

We all decided to indulge at Red Apron Butcher with some burgers and fries.

Red Apron Buter DC

After some chatting and catching up we heading over to visit the US Supreme Court building.  We recently found out you can wait in line to go inside and tour parts of the building, read the history, and see the court room.

US Supreme Court Washington DC

Since my Dad is a retired lawyer, we thought that would be a fun family activity.

US Supreme Court Washington DC

Then it was off to Annapolis for my Uncle’s rehearsal dinner.  And a delicious dinner with a view it was, eggplant ratatouille rolls, chicken marsala, polenta, green salad, and bread.  With cannoli cake for dessert, Mmmmm!

And  we had a fun time taking pics at sunset before it was time to head back to southern MD.

Chesapeake Bay Annapolis MD

Saturday morning I was up pretty early again and completed a leg workout I posted on Insta Stories.  We all made our own oatmeal bowls for breakfast again and got ready to head up to Annapolis for the wedding.  The wedding was in their churches chapel followed by a reception at a family event center.  Gorgeous wedding and ceremony and the FOOD at the reception, omg, by far one of the best spreads I’ve ever had.  Beef tenderloin, cooked to perfection, broccoli rabe, grilled vegetables, roasted potatoes, shrimp and grits, and crab cakes.  I enjoyed a bit of everything!  The shrimp and grits were probably my favorite, I definitely need to learn how to recreate them at home.

After dessert and dancing, we made it home just as the sun went down and enjoyed a glass of wine and chatting on our patio.  Cooler summer nights in southern MD are pretty rare so we had to take advantage of it.

Dress // Rocksbox Necklace

Sunday morning I was able to sleep in for a bit, then was up and did a quick workout on Beachbody On Demand, to get my body moving for the day.  I made the family a Chicken Sausage and Spinach Frittata then enjoyed some Sunday morning relaxation before heading to the pool to cool off for a bit.  Then later for dinner Tom smoked chicken and ribs and I made a pesto pasta salad with asparagus.

And we couldn’t resist a ride in the jeep with the roof off to get some ice cream for dessert.  Which was the perfect way to end a great weekend with the family before they head home to CLE and LA early this week.

Twin Kiss

Linking up with Meghan for Week in Review and Laura and Jenn for What I Ate Wednesday.  You can view other Weekend Highlights posts here.

DC touring, a Wedding, and other weekend foot and fitness highlights Click To Tweet

What was the highlight of your weekend?

Favorite meal you ate at a Wedding?

Do you enjoy hosting when family or friends are visiting?

20 Comments on DC Day, a Wedding, and other Weekend Highlights

1. Carrie this fit chick
    June 26, 2017 at 1:02 pm (3 months ago)

That sunset is beautiful and i LOVE that denim looking dress on you! I wish it were warm enough to wear that over here!

June 27, 2017 at 6:36 pm (3 months ago)

It’s not that warm? You’re in northern CA right? It gets SO hot and humid here, you need as few layers as possible, lol.

2. Emily @ Always Emily H.
    June 26, 2017 at 1:23 pm (3 months ago)

How do you make your steel cut oats and egg whites? I love both of those for breakfast but never thought of combining them!

June 27, 2017 at 6:44 pm (3 months ago)

I cook the oats in the crockpot with water for 2 1/2 hours, then the last 30 minutes I stir in a carton of egg whites. You really don’t even taste them much, it’s just added protein to the oats. Hope you’ll try it!

3. Evangeline
    June 26, 2017 at 1:53 pm (3 months ago)

What a beautiful weekend! Union Market sounds like a fun place. It’s actually not too far from home, so I need to check it out. Yummm, the food from the wedding looks super tasty, and well, everything looks tasty. Happy Monday!

June 27, 2017 at 6:44 pm (3 months ago)

Yes you MUST visit Union Market, it’s so cute and always has new vendors everytime I visit. Let me know when you check it out!

4. Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets
    June 26, 2017 at 2:41 pm (3 months ago)

I love having family in town too. You get to be a tourist in your own city and explore things you might not have seen otherwise.

The wedding food looks delicious as does your pesto pasta salad. I’d eat anything with pesto. 🙂

Happy Monday and thanks for linking up.

June 27, 2017 at 6:45 pm (3 months ago)

Pesto is one of my favs, so simple and adds such flavor dishes!

5. Kelli @ Hungry Hobby
    June 26, 2017 at 3:19 pm (3 months ago)

Sounds like the perfect weekend! Shrimp and grits are the BOMB!

June 27, 2017 at 6:45 pm (3 months ago)

I need to try making shrimp and grits at home, the ones at the wedding were SO good!

June 27, 2017 at 6:46 pm (3 months ago)

It sure was Mattie, I hope you had a nice weekend as well!

6. Joyce @ The Hungry Caterpillar
    June 26, 2017 at 6:24 pm (3 months ago)

Really cool that you got to combine a little vacation with attending your uncle’s wedding. I’ve never been to DC, and if I went, I think the Supreme Court is one of the things I’d be really interested to see.

June 27, 2017 at 6:46 pm (3 months ago)

The building is beautiful, I’m always so fascinated by architecture.

7. Bethany
    June 26, 2017 at 9:59 pm (3 months ago)

I love hosting! I’d much rather host than go out.

June 27, 2017 at 6:47 pm (3 months ago)

Me too Bethany! I love cooking food for others 🙂

8. AMANDA @amandaisms
    June 27, 2017 at 3:13 am (3 months ago)

Love hosting!! You were in my neck of the woods this weekend! Weddings are so fun!

June 28, 2017 at 8:42 pm (3 months ago)

Yes we were in Annapolis/Davidsonville area. Love it up in northern MD, visiting often makes me wish we lived there.

9. Ashley @ A Lady Goes West
    June 27, 2017 at 3:10 pm (3 months ago)

Yay! What a fun weekend! I love weddings! And taking visitors on tours too. Nice work on fitting in a gym session and making breakfast for your clan. By the way, how is BODYPUMP going?

June 28, 2017 at 8:41 pm (3 months ago)

I love hosting, so the fam ate well while they were here. And I’ve just been subbing for Bodypump at my local gym. She’s hoping to get me on the schedule for a class in the fall, fingeres crossed! We’re doing the 102 release this Saturday too.