Hello and Happy Hump Day!  Thanks for stopping by the blog today for a What I Ate Wednesday, Meal Prep Edition.  Over the weekend I had a very open and free Saturday so I decided to spent the time in the kitchen prepping and making a few new recipes I’ve been wanting to try.  Most of what I made has now turned into meals for the week, so today I’m sharing my days work with you for some meal prep inspiration.

Certain weeks my meal prep is more intense than others.  Typically every week I make something that I can easily reheat for breakfast, a lunch with veggies, protein, and healthy fats, and a snack for Tom and I when the afternoon hunger hits.  Occasionally I prep a crockpot meal or marinade for dinner one weeknight as well.

For this weeks meal prep I started with breakfast foods.  After a long Saturday morning run I wasn’t really craving my typical smoothie so instead I made a double batch of protein pancakes.  I then ate three with maple syrup and an almond butter blob and saved the rest.  Then showered and got back to work in the kitchen.

Protein Pancakes

Baked oatmeal was the first item on my to do list, steel cut oats in the crockpot for 3 hours (2 cups oats and 8 cups of water) then in the last 30 minutes I add 2 cups of liquid egg whites for some extra protein, similar to my Power Oatmeal Recipe.  I put them in portions, add 1 tbsp almond butter, and a sprinkle of cinnamon.  This combo is perfect for me, Tom usually eats his with peanut butter and honey.

Steel Cut Oats with Almond Butter

As the oatmeal was baking I started boiling eggs.  I let the water, eggs, and some vinegar come to a boil, then remove from heat and cover for 13-15 minutes.  Then I add the eggs to an ice bath.  This method helps a bit with the peeling process.  I usually eat the eggs when I get home from work.  Tom eats them mid morning so I also made him some energy bites turned into bars as an extra snack for him.  It’s important for me to have other healthy snack options around such as oranges, Siggi’s yogurt, and nuts or trial mix.

Healthy Snacks

Then it was time for marinades.  Thank goodness it’s grilling season because I not only love the flavor of grilled chicken, it makes life much easier.  I made this Copycat Chipotle Chicken and Italian Chicken and let the meats marinate in the fridge.  I planned to use the grilled chicken for dinner a few nights and to top my lunch salads.

Italian Chicken Salad

Now for the fun part, dessert!  Lately we’ve been loving my Chocolate ‘Caramel’ Protein Fudge for a sweet treat during the week, but I was feeling something different.  So I experimented with making dark chocolate almond bark.

Dark Chocolate Almond Bark

Usually on the weekends I also make us an indulgent dessert with all the real stuff; butter, cream, sugar!  I have read about ice box cakes the past few weeks and really wanted to try one.  When I came across this Death by Chocolate Cake I knew I found a winner.  Don’t be fooled by all ‘no bake’ recipes though, it was still a decent amount of work because the cake had three different layers.  But OMG was it delicious!

Life Love Sugar Death by Chocolate Ice Box Cake

All this including clean up and a lunch break took me about four hours.  After finishing up I was ready to relax, so I threw on my bating suit and headed to the pool for a bit.  When I got home I made some Spicy Jalapeno Margaritas to pair with homemade guac and Late of July Tortilla Chips.  When Tom got home from working the high school graduations, he grilled the Chipotle Chicken and we made burrito bowls with veggies and rice.  And of course it was Chocolate Ice Box Cake for dessert.  Mmmmmm.  It was a great ending to a busy day spent in the kitchen.

Spicy Jalapeno Margaritas, homemade guacamole, and Late of July Tortilla Chips

What a few hours of #mealprep in the kitchen will get you Click To Tweet

Linking up with Jenn for What I Ate Wednesday

What’s one thing you meal prep each week?

Do you eat dinner out or at home on the weekends?

Tell me something delicious on your plate lately.

16 Comments on What I Ate Wednesday, Meal Prep Edition

1. Evangeline
    June 7, 2017 at 1:13 pm (2 months ago)

Meal prep is an art that I haven’t yet mastered. How do you get started? Do you make a list of all the meals you want to prep? It looks like it would be a time saver though. Oooh and the chocolate fudge you made looks awesome.

June 7, 2017 at 10:10 pm (2 months ago)

Yes I always start with a list of meals for breakfast, lunch, and dinner for the week. And then write down all the things that need to be prepped. It’s time consuming and takes awhile to master, but so worth it for our busy schedules.

2. Cora
    June 7, 2017 at 3:57 pm (2 months ago)

I need to save this for a reminder about how to prep slow cooker oats and boil eggs. Each time I have to re-Google the directions. D’oh. You were indeed busy and made SO many good things. That cake! And homemade cocktails! What a way to end the day.

June 7, 2017 at 10:11 pm (2 months ago)

You must try the boiled egg method, it works really well! And the cake and cocktails were the best part of the day 😉

3. Sarah @ BucketListTummy
    June 7, 2017 at 4:42 pm (2 months ago)

You were a meal prep QUEEN this week. And omg, I’m heading to check out that Death by Chocolate Cake NOW along with one of your spicy margs 🙂

June 7, 2017 at 10:12 pm (2 months ago)

I have my weekends that I do a ton and others where nothing much happens at all. But the cake and cocktails were worth all the work themselves!

4. Lauren
    June 7, 2017 at 9:33 pm (2 months ago)

Mmmm at those pancakes. I’m the worst at meal prepping, but it’s one of the best ways to stick to healthy eating!

June 7, 2017 at 10:13 pm (2 months ago)

It definitely takes awhile to get the hang of. Just keep trying making different things. I used to mix my own salad and then realized it’s not that much cheaper and much easier just to by a mix. Find what’s best that works for you.

5. GiGi Eats
    June 7, 2017 at 11:34 pm (2 months ago)

I eat out WAY MORE than I eat at home and it kind of sucks. But my husband likes to eat out so much more and HATES when we have separate meals. I mean, we can both eat different things if we cook at home, as long as we cook together… You know what I mean? But like if I cook at home and he orders delivery… He doesn’t like that, where I am over here like – LETS ALWAYS DO THIS cause I wanna eat at home (food I cook) every night! lol!

June 8, 2017 at 1:32 pm (2 months ago)

My husband has been great at trying new things since I started experimenting more in the kitchen. I’m so happy we share similar likes. But he isn’t the biggest fish fan and doesn’t like avocado!!!

6. Amanda @amanda-isms
    June 8, 2017 at 1:00 am (2 months ago)

That cake looks SO good! oh my goodness! I usually meal prep some rice and chicken every week! Makes meal prepping super easy whether I want to make a huge salad or a bowl of different things!

June 8, 2017 at 1:33 pm (2 months ago)

Yes I usually always do rice, quinoa, or potatoes as well to have for bowls during the week.

June 8, 2017 at 1:34 pm (2 months ago)

Nothing wrong with that!

7. Faith VanderMolen
    June 9, 2017 at 12:02 pm (2 months ago)

So many foods I love! And I love meal prepping. It makes the week so much easier…especially when it comes to dinner. And that ice box cake looks epic!

June 10, 2017 at 1:58 pm (2 months ago)

For me I like having easy breakfast and lunches, I usually have time, but not always the energy for dinner.