Hi guys! Happy Monday. Hope you had a great weekend. I actually had this post scheduled ahead of time as I’m in Los Angeles visiting my little sister, hope you’re following along on Instagram. But I still wanted to post today and share a recipe for a common topic I get questions about, meal prep. I usually take a few hours to prep breakfast and snacks on the weekend and use Sunday and/or Monday night dinners for our lunches. This is one of my favorite easy chicken recipes. You can add the chicken to rice, potatoes, a salad, possibilities are endless. It’s a simple homemade Italian marinade for Chicken and Vegetable Kabobs.
I rarely ever buy store bought salad dressings when I realized I always have the ingredients to make my own. A little olive oil, vinegar, spices, and you have an easy homemade dressing or marinade. This marinade comes together in 5 minutes and is much healthier than buying a store bought dressing that contains yucky artificial ingredients and preservatives. If you’re desperate though, Tessemae dressings are the best store bought variations out there.
The key to a good marinade is to let the chicken sit in it for AT LEAST two hours or overnight. I always prefer to marinade overnight, but sometimes forget about the prep work.
I choose not to soak the veggies in the marinade, I just use olive oil, but feel free to add the vegetables if you’d like.
Now I love the flavor of grilling the kabobs, but if you don’t have a grill you can definitely bake the chicken and veggies at 400 degrees for about 25-30 minutes.
Usually I pair this chicken with potatoes or rice. It also tastes great in wraps or on salads. To stay healthy all week long, I use the leftovers to prep our lunches.
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- juice of one whole lemon
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon onion flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
- For the vegetables: 2 zucchini, 1/2 red onion, 1 red pepper, 1 yellow pepper, more olive oil, salt and pepper.
- In a medium sized bowl combine the olive oil, white wine vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, basil, oregano, onion flakes, crushed red pepper, salt, and pepper for the marinade. Whisk to combine the ingredients.
- Cut chicken into 1-2 inch cubes and place in a large bag or storage container.
- Pour all the marinade over the chicken and let it sit for at least two hours or overnight in the refrigerator.
- For the vegetables, cut all the veggies into 1-2 inch pieces and add to a bowl. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, salt, and pepper to taste. Toss to combine.
- Remove chicken from the fridge 20 minutes before cooking.
- Preheat grill to medium-low heat.
- Make kabobs by alternating chicken and vegetables.
- Add kabobs to the grill and cook for about 15 minutes, alternating every 3-4 minutes to get grill marks on each side.
- Serve with rice, potatoes, or on fresh leafy greens.
I just love how colorful and tasty these kabobs are and I hope you’ll enjoy them too 🙂
Looking for other great meal prep recipes? Try this Sheet Pan Italian Chicken or these Greek Chicken Kabobs.
[clickToTweet tweet=”Need some meal prep inspo? Try this Italian Chicken and Vegetable Kabob Recipe from @sweetandstrong_” quote=”Need some meal prep inspo? Try this Italian Chicken and Vegetable Kabob Recipe from @sweetandstrong_”]
Linking up with Esther, Annmarie, Farrah, and Jess for Foodie Fridays. Rachel for Delicious Dish Tuesday. And What’s Cooking Wednesday And you can view other Healthy Recipes Here.
What do you meal prep each week?
Do you make your own dressings and marinades?
Tell me the highlight of your weekend.