Hi there and thanks for stopping by the blog today and Yay for Friday Eve!  This past weekend I spend a few hours running errands, which led to me hauling several grocery bags up to our townhouse, hello extra cardio.  But it means I now have a fully stocked pantry.  I thought it would be fun to take you through some of my must have healthy pantry staples.

Are you signed up to receive Sweet and Strong emails?  Then check your inbox for a FREE copy of my Favorite Healthy Pantry Items that you can save or print.  And if you’re not, it’s easy, so SIGN UP HERE  You’ll instantly receive a copy of the Healthy Pantry List and be the first notified about NEW Sweet and Strong Posts.  No spam, I personally write all the emails myself 🙂

Healthy Pantry Staples

While I feel I have a stocked pantry, I’m still missing a few of the staples on the list.  My pantry is the size of a broom closet, lol.  I am always working on the organization, my pantry is far from anything Pinterest worthy.  But here are a few of the items I can’t live without.

Grains

Lately we’ve been loving jasmine or brown basmati rice, try either paired with my Jamaican Jerk Chicken or Italian Chicken Kabobs.  I also always have quinoa and my favorite Banza pasta.  Pasta can easily be combined with your favorite marinara, a lean protein, and some roasted veggies for a quick balanced meal.

The Healthy Pantry Grains

And I always have rolled and steel cut oats as they’re my favorite breakfast, which you well know from my What I Ate Wednesday posts.

The Healthy Pantry Oats
Nuts and Seeds

I probably have a whole shelf that stays stocked with nut butters.  Smuckers Peanut Butter and Target Creamy Almond Butter are our favorites.  Nut butters are great on toast, in oatmeal or try making my Oatmeal Raisin Energy Bites with your favorite nut butter as a healthy snack.  I also like Cashew Butter as a healthy baking alternative.

The Healthy Pantry Nut Butters

If I’m not snacking on something made with nut butter then I always have raw nuts readily available as well.  Almonds, Cashews, Walnuts, etc.  Try to purchase the unsalted or lightly salted varieties.

The Healthy Pantry Raw Nuts and Seeds

Seeds such as sunflower or pepita (pumpkin) are my favorite way to add some crunch to a salad.  Chia seeds are the perfect addition to overnight oats.  And if you have a nut allergy sunflower butter can replace nut butter in just about any recipe.

Flours

When baking indulgent desserts I use white flour, but for healthy cooking and baking I keep coconut flour, almond flour, flaxseed meal, and whole wheat flour.  Bob’s Red Mill is obviously a favorite brand.  And can pretty much be found at any food store, I find it cheapest at Target.

The Healthy Pantry Flours
Sweeteners

We all know I have a sweet tooth.  To make healthy desserts I use honey, maple syrup, or coconut sugar as sweeteners.  I also think cinnamon and vanilla extract give a dish a little sweet flavor.  I combine many of these in my Blueberry Lemon Baked Oatmeal.

And how could we forget the chocolate, dark chocolate of course.  I try to buy bars with about 70% cocoa or higher but this can sometimes be hard to find.  Below is what my pantry is currently stocked with.  And I love cocoa powder in smoothies or my Chocolate Caramel Protein Fudge.  Cocoa powder has no sugar and 2 grams of fiber per serving!

The Healthy Pantry Chocolate

Dried fruits also help add a sweet flavor to any dish.  My favorites are dates and raisins.  I recently picked up this package of blueberries too.  I look for dried fruits with no added sugars.

The Healthy Pantry Dried Fruit
Supplements

There are several different pre/post workout supplements you can take.  Personally I keep is pretty simple with vegan or whey protein and collagen.

The Healthy Pantry Supplements
Oil, Vinegar, and Spices

I have two cabinets full of spices, oils, and vinegars.  I am always stocked with extra virgin olive oil, cooking spray, coconut oil, and wine vinegars just to name a few.  And as for spices, in case you haven’t noticed from Instagram crushed red pepper is a favorite.  I also use a lot of chili powder, cumin, and oregano.

The Healthy Pantry Oils
Other

You’ll have to subscribe to my emails to get the full list.  But I love adding diced tomatoes to flavor a dish or beans for plant based protein.

Inside a Healthy Pantry with @Sweetandstrong_ Click To Tweet

Linking up with Amanda for Thinking Out Loud and Heather for Friday Favorites and Running on Happy & Fairytales and Fitness for the Friday Five.  Enjoy your weekend and be sure to read previous Friday Favorites posts here.

What are some of your healthy pantry staples?

Name a pantry item you can’t live without.

What are your weekend plans?

31 Comments on Healthy Pantry Staples

September 14, 2017 at 12:08 pm (1 month ago)

I love those dark chocolate peanut butter cups! We pretty much always have nut butters, canned beans and some sort of snack stuff for the babies on hand. I really need to organize our pantry, your post has inspired me.

September 14, 2017 at 10:05 pm (1 month ago)

The Justin’s PB Cups are SO good right! And I really wish my pantry was bigger, I’ve tried re organizing several times and everything just doesn’t fit nicely. A large pantry is definitely on my must have list in our next house.

2. Maureen @ Maureen Gets Real
    September 14, 2017 at 12:32 pm (1 month ago)

The dark chocolate peanut butter cups look so good! I think they might happen to jump in my cart next time I’m grocery shopping 😉 I always have extra virgin olive oil, black beans, a ton a spices, and chia seeds on hand.

September 14, 2017 at 10:06 pm (1 month ago)

Those are great staples Maureen! I have SO many spices, how do you organize yours? And definitely splurge on the PB cups, they’re delicious!

3. Carrie this fit chick
    September 14, 2017 at 2:12 pm (1 month ago)

We have a lot of similar staples! Nut butter is ALWAYS in my pantry as well as different oils. I’ve never tried almond flour, but definitely want to make protein pancakes with it!

September 14, 2017 at 10:08 pm (1 month ago)

Yes I love replacing regular flour for almond in baked goods. And I use it in meatballs instead of panko or breadcrumbs to help keep them together.

4. Kelli @ Hungry Hobby
    September 14, 2017 at 3:15 pm (1 month ago)

Yes to all these! I’d also add pre-made healthy sauces that make cooking easy! Sauces, marinades etc. As much as I like to make mine from scratch sometimes that’s just too much work!

September 14, 2017 at 10:08 pm (1 month ago)

I totally agree Kelli. I like to think I want to make every sauce from scratch, but i know that’s not reality. Great idea to make some ahead of time though!

5. Marina @ Happy Healing
    September 14, 2017 at 3:45 pm (1 month ago)

I looove Banza pasta and Justin’s PB cups. I can’t live without coconut oil in my pantry! Hope you have a great Thursday 🙂

September 14, 2017 at 10:09 pm (1 month ago)

These are all fantastic staples! Have a great rest of your week Marina!

6. Amanda @amanda-isms
    September 14, 2017 at 3:46 pm (1 month ago)

We have very similar pantry staples!! I always have one salty/crunchy snack. Usually pretzels. Probably shouldn’t be considered a staple but I always have to have it! Also usually some beans/legumes!

September 14, 2017 at 10:10 pm (1 month ago)

We are huge fans of tortilla chips, especially because of my love for Mexican food. But I could eat a whole bag in one sitting, hehe And I lived off pretzels and PB in college. lol.

7. Samantha
    September 14, 2017 at 6:03 pm (1 month ago)

I love the concept of this post! Plus its always interesting to see whats in other peoples pantries. I think the one item in our pantry I couldn’t live without would be peanut butter! But this weekend, I actually took off work and am going to spend time with a friend I haven’t seen in a while 🙂

September 14, 2017 at 10:11 pm (1 month ago)

I agree! I love seeing other peoples essentials and also seeing how they meal prep to always get ideas. And have a great weekend, always fun catching up with an old friend.

8. Bethany
    September 15, 2017 at 11:28 am (1 month ago)

We have a lot of the same favorites. I love snack bars a bit too much and like to keep some RX or Quest bars handy as well.

September 15, 2017 at 8:34 pm (1 month ago)

Yes, snack bars are a life saver during the busy work week. I find myself needing them when running errands on the weekends too. What are your favorite flavors?

September 15, 2017 at 8:35 pm (1 month ago)

SO RIGHT! I can easily whip up a non planned dinner when I have all these plus some veggies.

9. Lacey@fairytalesandfitness
    September 15, 2017 at 12:41 pm (1 month ago)

I also keep mixed nuts in my cupboard too. But I have to put them on the back shelf because every time when I open it up I want to grab a handful.

September 15, 2017 at 8:35 pm (1 month ago)

Same Lacey! I keep a 1/4 cup inside my nut jar so I force myself to measure it. Or I would eat the whole thing, lol.

10. Sarah @ Bucket List Tummy
    September 15, 2017 at 12:55 pm (1 month ago)

Ah yes, I have many of the same! Canned beans come in handy when I’m lazy and for great chili. Love my frozen veggies too 🙂

September 15, 2017 at 8:36 pm (1 month ago)

Yes canned beans are great for those lazy dinner nights. I love having frozen cauliflower rice.

11. Patrick@looneyforfood.com
    September 15, 2017 at 5:23 pm (1 month ago)

I couldn’t live without my peanut butter. Peanut butter and apples are my go to everyday snack/dessert and a apple without its peanut butter is just sad. Have a great weekend

September 15, 2017 at 8:37 pm (1 month ago)

I could never imagine life without peanut butter! Have a great weekend.

12. Farrah
    September 16, 2017 at 2:22 am (1 month ago)

I keep my pantry stocked with a lot of the same things as you! :] I have a tonnnn of oatmeal in mine at the moment, haha. I’m gonna need to check out Banza pasta, and I’ve heard awesome things about Vital Proteins! *-*

September 16, 2017 at 7:23 pm (1 month ago)

Def check out Banza Pasta and Vital Proteins. They’re two of my fav brands!

13. Nicole @ Foodie Loves Fitness
    September 17, 2017 at 7:18 pm (1 month ago)

Ditto to all of this lady! I always have Lundberg brown rice in my pantry, along with a few boxes of pasta. There are half a dozen nut butter jars in my kitchen at any given time as well. Another thing I always have in my pantry is a few kinds of beans, and I can’t live without cinnamon!

September 18, 2017 at 10:31 pm (1 month ago)

Yes same with cinnamon, I have a huge tub of it my mom gets me from Amish country. Love it!

14. Jennifer @ Fit Nana
    September 28, 2017 at 8:05 pm (3 weeks ago)

Do I have to pick just one?! Or can my one be your whole list? I mean, that’s ONE list, right? 🙂 lol But yeah, I’m with you on the nut butters, oats, and the chocolate!

September 28, 2017 at 9:22 pm (3 weeks ago)

Literally CANNOT live without the nut butters, oats, and chocolate. I should make a cannot survive without list, lol

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Healthy Pantry Staples