This post is sponsored by AllWhites® 100% Liquid Egg Whites. I received product and compensation for this recipe, of course all thoughts are my own. Thanks for supporting Sweet and Strong sponsors.
Enjoy Mexican flavors without the carbs in this Spaghetti Squash Taco Bake using AllWhites® 100% Liquid Egg Whites. The recipe can also easily be adapted to make “vegetarian” or “paleo.”
I’m not gonna lie, a few years ago when everyone was raving about spaghetti squash as a “low-carb” alternative to pasta, I tried it, and didn’t like it! GASP, I love almost every healthy food, but just couldn’t get behind the crunchy taste of the “noodles.” I kept trying different cooking methods, recipes, and nothing was working for me, until I tried a Spaghetti Squash Bake, then I was hooked!
I got inspired for this recipe when I found a recipe for a Taco Spaghetti while scrolling through Pinterest –taco flavors and pasta –genius idea! But of course, being health-conscious, I wanted to make the recipe low-carb, add some veggies and up the protein.
To start this recipe pre-cook the spaghetti squash for about 20-25 minutes before pulling out the ‘spaghetti threads’ with a fork. You will also cook the veggies until soft and ground meat until browned over the stove, then add in the beans, tomatoes, and taco seasoning. I make my own taco seasoning, but you could also use store bought. Then you combine the spaghetti squash, taco meat and veggies, cheese, and AllWhites® 100% Liquid Egg Whites and bake for about an hour.
I love this recipe because I’m obsessed with Mexican seasonings and because you can also easily adapt it for any dietary plan. To make vegetarian, omit the turkey or to make paleo, omit the beans and cheese (or sub nutritional yeast). All variations are still delicious!
The AllWhites® 100% Liquid Egg Whites hold a very important role in the recipe. When the casserole bakes, the egg whites keep everything together and help the top get a beautiful, browned crust. AllWhites® 100% Liquid Egg Whites are rich in protein. One serving packs 5 grams of protein and less than 1 gram of carbohydrates keeping the recipe low carb.
Now what’s a Taco Night without all the toppings?!? Some possible toppings for this Spaghetti Squash Taco Bake include shredded cheese, avocado, hot sauce, cilantro, freshly squeezed lime, and salsa. Go crazy, add them all 😉
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 1 pound lean ground turkey, beef, or chicken
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- ½ red pepper, diced
- ½ green pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning (see post for homemade)
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can black beans
- 1 cup shredded Mexican Cheese or 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ¾ cup AllWhites® 100% Liquid Egg Whites
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit.
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise. Place squash, cut side down on a baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes. Then reduce heat to 350 degrees and let the spaghetti squash cool on a cutting board.
- As the spaghetti squash cooks, place a large pan over medium heat. Add the ground meat and onion and cook for 3 minutes, then add the red pepper, green pepper, jalapeño, and taco seasoning. Cook until the meat is browned and cut up into pieces.
- Add the canned tomatoes and black beans to the pan, remove from heat, and set aside.
- Now remove the 'spaghetti threads'' from the squash and place in a greased 9x11 inch baking dish.
- Add the meat and veggie mixture to the baking dish and mix well with the spaghetti squash.
- Add the egg whites and cheese to the baking dish and mix everything together.
- Place in the oven and bake for 1 hour or until the top of the casserole forms a crust.
- Let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Top with more shredded cheese, cilantro, hot sauce, salsa, fresh lime juice, avocado. Enjoy!
Now seriously go make this right now and of course let me know what you think! Are you a Spaghetti Squash lover now?A #lowcarb Spaghetti Squash Taco Bake recipe using @allwhiteseggs by @sweetandstrong_Click To Tweet
If you enjoy this recipe try using AllWhites® 100% Liquid Egg Whites in these healthy dishes too:
Make Ahead Blueberry Lemon Oatmeal Bake
BLAT (Bacon, Lettuce, Avocado, Tomato) Omelet
Whole 30 Egg White Pizza Muffins
Linking up with Esther, Annmarie, Farrah, and Jess for Foodie Fridays. You can find other tasty healthy recipes here.
What’s your favorite spaghetti squash recipe?
How do you use Egg Whites?
Tell me about something delicious you cooked recently.