This 30 Minute Tredmill Interval workout will fly by with sprint and recovery intervals for a High Intensity Cardio session.30 Minute Treadmill Interval Workout

Running has always been my favorite type of cardio.  In college I was totally guilty of setting the treadmill at 6.0 and people watching for 30-40 minutes straight.  While at least I was doing some type of cardio, on a treadmill you really want to be completing speed intervals or increase the incline in order to get a quality workout.

A few years ago I started playing around with the speed and incline on the treadmill to create my own workouts.  I nocited not only did the time go by faster, but I pushed myself way more when I had a workout plan wirtten down.

30 Minute Treadmill Interval Workout

Here is my absolute favorite treadmill interval workout to complete because I slowly speed up to the sprints with recovery in between and then come back down to a jog to cool down.  This workout is probably more intermediate, so if you are new to running or using a treadmill you might want to subtract 5-10 from each of my speeds.

Speeds

Generally I consider a recovery speed on a treadmill from 3.0 – 4.5 walking, a light jog anywhere from 4.5 – 6.5, a fast jog from 6.5 – 8.5 and a sprint from 8.5 – 10.5, but adjust accordinly.  And you could also up the incline 1-3 for a more intense workout.

The Sprints

In the middle of this workout is 10 minutes of 30 second sprints and 30 seconds of recovery.  During this time I recover at my fast jog pace because I don’t like how long it takes the treadmill to get to a fast speed from my light jog of 6.0.  I didn’t explain it in the workout picture but during that 10 minutes I change my sprint speed and repeat the following twice:

30 second sprint at 8.0, 30 second recover at 7.0
30 second sprint at 8.3, 30 second recover at 7.0
30 second sprint at 8.5, 30 second recover at 7.0
30 second sprint at 8.8, 30 second recover at 7.0
30 second sprint at 9.0, 30 second recover at 7.0

You don’t have to do the sprints at different speeds, just a suggestion.  Let me know if you give this a try!

If you enjoy this workout try:

Treadmill Incline Workout

Treadmill Incline Workout. Change speeds and the incline on the treadmill for a great cardio and HITT workout.

Tabata Cardio and Booty Workout

Tabata Cardio and Booty Workout, Lateral Lunge with a Leg Lift

And eat these Oatmeal Raisin Energy Bites as a great post workout snack.

Oatmeal Raisin Energy Bites

30 Minutes flies by with this Treadmill Interval Workout by @sweetandstrong_Click To Tweet

Linking up with Annmarie for Wild Workout Wednesday.  And check out great Gym or At Home Workouts on my Fitness Page.

Do you prefer running on the treadmill or outdoors?

Sprints or incline?

Tell me about a new workout you tried lately.

33 Comments on 30 Minute Treadmill Interval Workout

1. Jess
    February 10, 2015 at 3:21 pm (3 years ago)

so excited to see your blog up and running! love reading a little about your life every day! also, this workout would kill me 🙂 hope to attempt something like it soon!

2. Jessica @ I Am Teacher Fit
    October 4, 2017 at 11:32 am (2 weeks ago)

I did sprints this morning! I love workouts like this. They’re a great way to break up a run that might normally be boring!

October 4, 2017 at 11:38 am (2 weeks ago)

Totally agree Jessica! Sounds like it was a great workout. Have a great Wednesday!

October 4, 2017 at 7:02 pm (2 weeks ago)

I need to mix them up or I get way to bored. Hope you’ll give it a try!

3. Maureen @ Maureen Gets Real
    October 4, 2017 at 11:51 am (2 weeks ago)

I prefer running outdoors but sometimes I will run on a treadmill. I usually set the incline at 1 and will watch Netflix to get through the workout without staring at a wall. This seems like a great workout to try next time I’m on a treadmill!

October 4, 2017 at 7:03 pm (2 weeks ago)

I’ve been trying to use the incline more an more, it definitely makes it a more challenging workout! And I’m with you, I always watch the TVs at the gym, I can’t just stare at a wall.

4. Lacey@fairytalesandfitness
    October 4, 2017 at 12:03 pm (2 weeks ago)

I don’t mind running on the treadmill especially when the conditions outside are not ideal. I do get a but bored so when I vary the incline or pace it makes the time go quicker.

October 4, 2017 at 7:04 pm (2 weeks ago)

Same Lacey. I like running outside, but if it’s dark or the weather doesn’t allow it, I’m fine with mixing with the incline and speeds for a treadmill workout. Hope you’ll give this one a try.

5. Julie @ Running in a Skirt
    October 4, 2017 at 12:21 pm (2 weeks ago)

What a great workout! I think the treadmill is a great way to get in some speed training, especially if you are struggling to pick up the paces outside.
    I prefer to run outside but still love my mill is the weather is bad at all or I don’t have time to get to the park!

October 4, 2017 at 7:04 pm (2 weeks ago)

Yes I agree Julie. Nothing beats an outdoor run, but when they can’t happen I’m perfectly happy with the treadmill.

6. Kayla
    October 4, 2017 at 2:54 pm (2 weeks ago)

I did an interval run this morning! I love these workouts, I always feel so great afterwards!! Have a great Wednesday, love!! Xoxo

October 4, 2017 at 7:05 pm (2 weeks ago)

Totally agree Kayla! I feel so good after an interval workout! Hope you’re having a great week.

7. Marina @ Happy Healing
    October 4, 2017 at 3:24 pm (2 weeks ago)

This looks awesome – thanks for sharing. I am always looking for treadmill workouts to make things exciting. I just did a fun, 46-minute one last night!

October 4, 2017 at 7:06 pm (2 weeks ago)

Dang nice! Sounds like it was a great workout. And I agree always looking for different ways to make the treadmill more exciting.

October 4, 2017 at 7:06 pm (2 weeks ago)

They’re the best right! Hope you’ll give this one a try.

8. Erinn
    October 4, 2017 at 4:22 pm (2 weeks ago)

Thanks for sharing this workout! I’m bookmarking it for a day I’m stuck inside on the treadmill. Switching up the speed helps make the workout go so much faster!

October 4, 2017 at 7:07 pm (2 weeks ago)

Hi Erinn! I totally agree, playing with the speeds makes the time go by so fast! And it’s easy to push yourself to if you know you only have to sprint for say 30 seconds then you get to go slower.

9. Annmarie
    October 4, 2017 at 5:21 pm (2 weeks ago)

Yessss. Love treadmill interval workouts! Pinned for later!

October 4, 2017 at 7:07 pm (2 weeks ago)

Some days I really look forward to a good treadmill workout! Hope you’ll give this one a try.

10. Sarah @ Bucket List Tummy
    October 4, 2017 at 5:25 pm (2 weeks ago)

The only way I can run on a treadmill is with some kind of workout. Love interval workouts!

October 4, 2017 at 7:08 pm (2 weeks ago)

I totally agree Sarah! I can’t believe I used to just run at 6.0 for a long period of time. What was I thinking!

October 4, 2017 at 7:09 pm (2 weeks ago)

They’re not only so good for you, but the time goes by much faster! Hope you’ll give this one a try.

11. Kimberly Hatting
    October 4, 2017 at 9:49 pm (2 weeks ago)

Maybe I’ll give this a try (on a rainy day LOL). I am not a fan of the ‘mill, but I can tolerate it for an interval workout such as this. Great way to mix up the routine!

October 5, 2017 at 12:44 pm (2 weeks ago)

I totally understand not being a fan of the treadmill. But definitley save this one for a rainy day and give it a try.

6Pingbacks & Trackbacks on 30 Minute Treadmill Interval Workout