Hello there!  Happy Columbus Day.  Do you get to enjoy a three day weekend with the day off?  Us teachers go in, but the kiddos are off today.  At least it makes going into the work week a bit easier.  But of course I’m already missing the weekend.  Lets get right to some of the highlights.

Friday night was game night.  Tom’s team won 19-7, it wasn’t a pretty win, but gives them a few things to learn from and work on.  Once I got home I reheated some leftovers, watched a bit of the movie No Strings Attached and then headed up to bed.

Saturday morning was perfecttttt weather for a run with a slight chill in the air.  I took advantage of it and did some miles around the neighborhood.  After I foam rolled and then recovered with a shake.

The rest of Saturday morning/early afternoon I lounged around, went to the grocery store, and baked Tom a birthday cake.  His birthday was on Wednesday so we decided to celebrate this weekend.  Every year I try to recreate an ‘eclair cake’ that his grandma used to make him growing up.  I’ve literally tried different variations every year, and the last few years have realized his grandma must have made a Boston Cream Pie cake that Tom likes to call eclair cake.  Anywayssss here is the recipe I used this year and it was amazing and most likely a keeper for many more birthdays to come!

Boston Cream Pie Cake

Once the kitchen was cleaned up I got dressed up to head out for dinner.  We stayed local and just went around the corner to Galazio’s Restaurant.  They have a nice outdoor patio and the weather was perfect for dining outside.  We had the Flambe Saganaki aka flaming cheese and split a bottle of wine.

Galazio Restaurant

Then I had the chicken kabobs and Tom had a pizza for dinner.  It was my fourth time here and I have yet to order anything else off the menu, I tend to stick with what I like I guess.  Then we headed home and ate cake for dessert. 🙂

Galazio Restaurant

Sunday was the usual morning yoga, laundry, some meal prep, and pictures for a few things coming your way this week.  I also styled some Instagram posts, including this Pumpkin Spice Latte using Vital Proteins.  I drank this for breakfast then styled a post for Banza pasta, and ate that for lunch.  Watch out on my Instagram for both recipes this week.

Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides in Homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte

Banza Chickpea Pasta

Sunday was a bit of a rainy day, so we just hung out, watched football and then made burgers and brussels sprouts for dinner.

In case you missed it last week on Sweet and Strong:
Meal Plan

And here’s what’s on the menu this week:

Monday:  Easy Miso Baked Chicken

Tuesday:  Crockpot Salsa Chicken, no recipe needed, literally just salsa, chicken breasts, and some taco seasoning.  Served in tortillas, with rice, or cauliflower rice.

Wednesday:  Breakfast for Dinner with this Hashbrown Frittata

Thursday: Chili-Garlic Broiled Salmon

Friday:  Game Night!  I’ll just eat some leftovers.

Wishing you a great week of making healthy choices, fitting in some workouts, and enjoying the occasional sweet treats in life.

Date night, this weeks menu, and other food and fitness highlights with @sweetandstrong_Click To Tweet

Thanks to Meg for the Week In Review Link Up.  You can read previous Weekend Highlights Here.

What was the highlight of your weekend?

Tell me something on your menu this week.

What’s your favorite local restaurant?

30 Comments on Date Night, this Weeks Menu, and Food and Fitness Weekend Highlights

1. Sarah @ Bucket List Tummy
    October 9, 2017 at 12:01 pm (1 month ago)

What a sweet wife you are trying to recreate cakes. That eclair cake looks delicious! My hubby loves key lime pie so I try to make that for his birthday.

October 9, 2017 at 4:02 pm (1 month ago)

I’m so glad I’m not the only one that goes out of my way to make a non traditional birthday cake. I love birthdays and think everyone should eat all of their favorite foods!

2. Maureen @ Maureen Gets Real
    October 9, 2017 at 12:16 pm (1 month ago)

The highlight from my weekend was going out to dinner to celebrate my one year dating anniversary. On my menu for tonight is corckpot BBQ chicken. Let’s hope it turns out good 🙂

October 9, 2017 at 4:03 pm (1 month ago)

Can never go wrong with BBQ Chicken. And love celebrating any anniversary or milestones. Hope you have a great week Maureen.

3. amanda @amanda-isms
    October 9, 2017 at 3:30 pm (1 month ago)

sounds like a great weekend! A highlight from my weekend was hiking….and I’m making pulled chicken for the week!!

October 9, 2017 at 4:04 pm (1 month ago)

LOVE hiking in the Fall. I’ve really just started to notice the trees changing colors. Hope you have a great week Amanda.

October 9, 2017 at 5:15 pm (1 month ago)

So good right! What’s your favorite combo? I’m sharing a recipe this Wednesday, stay tuned.

4. Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets
    October 9, 2017 at 5:29 pm (1 month ago)

Flaming cheese…be still my dairy loving heart.

That cake looks delicious. Happy Early Birthday Tom. Your wife is awesome.

October 10, 2017 at 11:23 am (1 month ago)

Aw thanks for Tom’s Birthday wishes! And omg have you ever had that cheese, I don’t know what kind it is exactly. It’s a greek dish and breaded and it’s delicious!

October 9, 2017 at 5:57 pm (1 month ago)

That cake looks awesome! We had an awesome weekend with lots of fall activities. I think I liked watching the babies paint pumpkins the best, they had such a good time. Hope you have a great day!

October 10, 2017 at 11:23 am (1 month ago)

Painting pumpkins is such a cute fall activity! Have a great week Emily.

6. Marina @ Happy Healing
    October 9, 2017 at 7:03 pm (1 month ago)

I looove Banza pasta! I need to buy some soon. Also, your meal plan looks amazing. Something on my menu this week is a huge stir fry with tofu and Sriracha!

October 10, 2017 at 11:25 am (1 month ago)

You just reminded me we recently ran out of Sriracha and I NEED to buy more! Love stir fry for an easy and delicious weekday meal.

7. Lacey@fairytalesandfitness
    October 9, 2017 at 8:21 pm (1 month ago)

Your dinner looks so tasty. I love this time of yr when you can sit out on the patio to eat and it’s not crazy hot.

October 10, 2017 at 11:26 am (1 month ago)

Yes, that’s the best part of Fall. And when the sun goes down you can sit by the bonfire to stay warm.

8. Jamie@TheMomGene
    October 10, 2017 at 1:21 am (1 month ago)

Happy birthday to Tom and go you for making an epic cake!! I’m always the cake maker for all our friends and family birthdays. It’s not always pretty, but it tastes good ☺️

October 10, 2017 at 11:26 am (1 month ago)

Thanks for Tom’s birthday wishes! And as long as it tastes good that’s all that matters right! I love making and eating cakes or cupcakes to celebrate birthdays.

October 10, 2017 at 2:54 am (1 month ago)

That cake looks amazing!!! I’ve never made a Boston Cream Pie, but I sure do love to eat them! That latte looks like something I need too. Can’t wait for the recipe!

October 10, 2017 at 11:27 am (1 month ago)

The pastry filling is just so good in Boston Cream, I could just eat that alone!

10. Emily Swanson
    October 10, 2017 at 7:50 am (1 month ago)

Banza pasta is such a perfect grain free option; it worked really well when we had someone who had to be grain free! I love it too! And you are quite the cake baker; that cake looks absolutely delightful. I bet Tom was so blessed by it.

October 10, 2017 at 11:28 am (1 month ago)

Totally agree with you about Banza pasta, I don’t always eat grain free, but like to try different options. Love that it’s packed with protein and fiber. And he loved the cake, it’s already gone, haha.

11. Juli
    October 10, 2017 at 10:35 am (1 month ago)

Look at these cake baking skills! It looks awesome! I wish I were a good baker but I am just more of a cook. So I always admire when people can really bake and this cake looks like a huge success!

October 10, 2017 at 11:29 am (1 month ago)

Thanks Juli! I really learned to bake before I learned to cook so I feel like I can actually follow a baking recipe better than a cooking one. But I still love doing both 🙂 Hope you have a great week!

12. Erinn
    October 10, 2017 at 1:01 pm (1 month ago)

That Boston Creme Cake! OMG! You have serious skills 🙂
    Love your meal plan as well – thanks for sharing!
    I’m making our favorite hibachi at home this week – grilled steak, fried rice, and roasted veggies!

October 10, 2017 at 2:20 pm (1 month ago)

Thanks Erinn! And Hibachi at home sounds like such a good idea. I def need to add that to our menu soon!

October 17, 2017 at 11:26 am (1 month ago)

I’m all about the food on the weekends 😉

13. Kaylee Gross
    October 24, 2017 at 2:39 pm (4 weeks ago)

Belated happy birthday to Tom! How sweet (as your blog name also so aptly says) of you to bake a cake. But why have I never heard about this eclair cake goodness before?!?
    My mom made some of her delicious mac and cheese over the weekend so I’ll be having those leftovers for quick meals this week as midterms continue.

October 25, 2017 at 1:56 pm (4 weeks ago)

Thanks Kaylee! You MUST try the cake, it really didn’t take me too long to make and was very tasty. And love having leftovers from the weekend throughout the busy work week. Good luck on midterms.