Hello!  How was your weekend?  Mine was the perfect mix of getting out and about and rest and relaxation.  Lets get straight to all the weekend highlights shall we!

Friday was International Coffee Day and I found out when I received this lovely package from the Vital Proteins team.  As you know from my Friday Favorites posts I’ve been loving adding Vital Proteins collagen peptides or collagen whey to my smoothies.  But if you’re not a smoothie person, an easy way to add collagen to your diet is by adding a scoop or two of plain collagen to your morning coffee.  You don’t even taste it!

Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides

Tom’s game was Thursday night because of the jewish holiday on Friday, so it was nice to actually have him home at night, make dinner together, and catch up on some shows on the DVR.  Then we were in bed by 10, party animals.

Saturday morning I was up early to head into the city for a Flywheel class.  I always look forward to workouts that I don’t need to motivate myself to do, why I love group fitness!  The class wasn’t too crowded, but I was still proud of myself for finishing on the Torq Board.  Read more about Flywheel here.

Flywheel Sports City Center

After class my sister, her fiancé, and I went to Union Market for brunch.  They decided on Ethiopian Bowls and I wanted something light so I had an Acai Bowl from Southblock, hit the spot after a sweaty workout.

Southblock DC Acai Bowl

And we all decided doughnuts were a good idea!  I was so upset that by 11:00 AM B Doughnut was already sold out of the vanilla and chocolate filled so I bought a half dozen of a variety for Tom and myself to share.

B Doughnut Union Market DC

The were SO good, probably one of the best doughnuts I’ve ever had.  I was too skeptical to try their savory ‘Everything Bagel’ Doughnuts, but I think I’ll have to next time because everyone has raved about them.

B Doughnut Berry Filled Doughnut

Early afternoon I headed up to Bethesda, MD for a Food Photography Course I was invited to by Modern Market given by Rachel Lynn.

Modern Market Food Photography Workshop

Rachel talked about lighting.  Natural light is best of course whenever taking photos.  The gears on your DSLR camera and how to adjust them based on what you want to pop in the photo.  Which is something I’m really working on.  Even though it’s only three different settings to change; aperture, shutter speed, and ISO there are so many different variations.

Modern Market Food Photography Course

She also spoke about themes on Instagram and styling of photos.  Something I know the average person probably pays no attention to.  But I seriously consider the colors, content, and placement of every photo on my Instagram grid before posting.

Modern Market

And she also touched a bit on editing photos, which settings she typically suggests changing and apps to edit with.  Overall I learned a lot from the course, and realized even though I’m by no means an expert I also knew a lot of photography tips too.  It was really just great to meet and talk to other bloggers and DC influences.  And take pictures with others who enjoy taking photos of beautiful food.

Modern Market

Modern Market was kind enough to host the course and provide us with the meals to shoot and share.  It was a great way to spend a Saturday afternoon.  You can check out some of our photos on their Instagram.

By the time I got back to Southern MD I was completely spent.  I ate some leftover pizza and salad I took home with me, had a glass of wine, and watched the Real Housewives, #guiltypleasure.

Sunday was a pretty typically; yoga, laundry, grocery shopping, meal prep.  I came back from the grocery store starving and made two sunny eggs with some avocado toast on a Food for Life Muffin.

Food for Life Baking Sprouted Muffin

I always forget some of you have asked for my weekly meals, so I’ll try to start posting them Mondays.  After a few indulgences over the weekend here’s what’s on the Menu to keep things healthy this week:

Sunday:  Peri Peri Chicken with rice

Monday:  Sheet Pan Everything Salmon

Tuesday:  Chicken Fajitas, I use this seasoning recipe

Wednesday:  Tom’s Birthday!  He didn’t request anything particular so I plan to make burgers.  After reading this article I’m eager to try grounding the beef myself.  And of course some cupcakes for dessert.

Thursday:  Brinner aka clean out the fridge and throw some eggs with it

Friday:  Go Eagles!  Friday Football.  I’ll probably just eat some leftovers.

Hope you have a great week!

Spin, a Food Photography Course, Doughnuts, and other Weekend Highlights with @sweetandstrong_Click To Tweet

And that wraps up the weekend.  Thanks to Meg for the Week In Review Link Up.  You can read previous Weekend Highlights Here.

How was your weekend?

Have you ever taken a course in something your trying to learn more about?

What’s something on your menu this week?

22 Comments on Spin, a Photography Course, Doughnuts, and other Weekend Highlights

1. Maureen @ Maureen Gets Real
    October 2, 2017 at 11:54 am (2 weeks ago)

The acai bowl looks SO delicious! I now want one even though it’s getting cooler in New Jersey.

October 2, 2017 at 3:08 pm (2 weeks ago)

Yes it was definitely a bit cooler out to be eating one on Saturday, but after a workout I was craving it. So good!

2. Juli
    October 2, 2017 at 1:03 pm (2 weeks ago)

I would love to go to a food photography class some time. It sounds like so much fun! I go to photography classes from time to time and I always LOVE it. Even when I don’t get a ton of new info it’s always so much fun to spend time with likeminded people. I think I need to google food photography classes in my area now 😀

October 2, 2017 at 3:09 pm (2 weeks ago)

Do it! I want to keep learning as well. And totally agree, it’s really just great being around people that share the same interests.

3. Carrie this fit chick
    October 2, 2017 at 1:33 pm (2 weeks ago)

Those doughnuts look amazing!!! I’m currently taking another certification course on fitness nutrition, so YES. I love to learn!

October 2, 2017 at 3:10 pm (2 weeks ago)

That’s awesome! I want to continue learning mroe about fitness and nutrition as well. And am thinking study doughnuts are a good idea 😉

4. Erinn
    October 2, 2017 at 2:00 pm (2 weeks ago)

Those donuts look incredible!
    I didn’t realize they had food photography classes – I’d be interested in taking a general photography class…my skills need some work!
    I’ve taken cooking classes before, does that count?

October 2, 2017 at 3:10 pm (2 weeks ago)

You should totally see if any photographers offer them in your area! Totally worth the few hours to pick up a few tips and talk to other bloggers and influencers.

5. Emily Swanson
    October 2, 2017 at 3:28 pm (2 weeks ago)

I would really love to take a photography course; I’m starting to think about the aesthetic of the Instagram feed more without being obsessed with it; sadly I tend to get too obsessed about it and forget that it is about being authentic and true to who you are!

And those doughnuts??? I see why you go there; I would definitely be on board with these.

October 2, 2017 at 9:05 pm (2 weeks ago)

Hi Emily! Yes she talked a lot about staying authentic and engaging with your audience as well. But I totally understand obsessing over the perfect photo. But if you stay consistent with filters, and how you edit photos, your them will come naturally. And doughnuts are always a good idea right!

6. Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets
    October 2, 2017 at 4:25 pm (2 weeks ago)

The Real Housewives are a guilty pleasure for me too. Sign me up for all the counties and cities, except Miami of course. For some reason, I never vibed with that one.

I am swooning over those doughnuts.

Also the food photography course sounds super interesting.

October 2, 2017 at 9:06 pm (2 weeks ago)

So glad others share my guilty please! I love Beverly Hills, OC, and just got into the Dallas one. It doesn’t take much to get me hooked, lol.

7. Kelli @ Hungry Hobby
    October 2, 2017 at 5:45 pm (2 weeks ago)

So jealous you got to take an IN PERSON photography class! Also I need that mug in my life now!

October 2, 2017 at 9:07 pm (2 weeks ago)

The course was great and really makes me want to do more and maybe learn from/work with a professional photographer. I’m just obsessed with beautiful photos!

8. Samantha
    October 2, 2017 at 8:33 pm (2 weeks ago)

It sounds like you had a great weekend! I hope you have a good first week of October as well! My weekend was set at work, but it was my last weekend there so I didn’t mind too much. One dinner Im looking forwards to this week is a White Vegetable lasagna, but your meals sound delicious and now I think ill make fajitas soon!

October 2, 2017 at 9:08 pm (2 weeks ago)

White Vegetable Lasagna, YUM! Been too long since I made a lasagna, it’s the perfect fall/cooler weather meal. Have a great week Samantha!

October 3, 2017 at 12:11 am (2 weeks ago)

You HAVE to try that Everything Bagel Doughnut and report back! That sounds amazing!

The photography class sounds great. I really wish I had more patience for it. I just want to cook and eat. *sigh*

October 4, 2017 at 11:35 am (2 weeks ago)

OMG you’re so right! I feel like I don’t always have the patience for figuring it out all. But I’m working on practicing food that I’m not eating right away, lol. And you convinced me, getting the everything bagel doughnut next time!

10. Marina @ Happy Healing
    October 3, 2017 at 3:16 am (2 weeks ago)

OMG that acai bowl! Drool! And those donuts…

I had a super relaxing weekend in the mountains in NH!

Hope you have a great start to your week 🙂

October 4, 2017 at 11:36 am (2 weeks ago)

A relaxing weekend in the mountains sounds perfect Marina! I’ve never been to NH but I’m sure it’s beautiful!

11. Kaylee Gross
    October 3, 2017 at 12:44 pm (2 weeks ago)

I would love to take a food photography workshop! A couple semesters ago I enrolled in one through my school but it’s much different when you’re graded on it.

Dang, those acai bowls and doughnuts are on point. Since the weather is ick and I’m feeling a little ick as well, I say freezer soup to the rescue!

October 4, 2017 at 11:38 am (2 weeks ago)

Yes a lot of people have been getting sick with the weather change. Hope you feel better soon. And totally agree about photography. It was neat learning from someone who’s not grading you, but just for fun.