Well hello there!  Been a little over a week since I’ve been on the blog, which usually doesn’t happen.  But I figured the holiday was the perfect time for me to take a much-needed break and focus on spending the time with my family that was visiting.  Now I have so many yummy eats to share with you from over Thanksgiving Break for What I Ate Wednesday.

The first meal worth mentioning over the holiday was a dinner out with my family at Zaytinya.  All dishes are mezze or small plates, so we got to order a bunch of different things and share.  Dips, Veggies, Chicken, and Meatballs were all throughly enjoyed by all of us.

Zaytinya

After dinner we made a short walk over to Milk Bar for some cereal milk soft serve.  I added crunch and sprinkles on the top of mine, so good!

Milk Bar City Center DC

That night my Mom, older sister, and I had tickets to go see Mean Girls the musical playing in DC at the National Theatre.

Mean Girls the Musical. On Wednesdays we wear pink.

It was a great show, and not completely like the movie as it was a musical and they made it a bit more modern.  Can you believe in the original movie they didn’t have social media or cell phones?!?  And of course all the songs were written for the musical.  It was funny, entertaining, and a great way to spend the night before Thanksgiving.

Mean Girls the National Theatre DC

On Thanksgiving morning I did this treadmill workout followed by a light breakfast of Green Pear Smoothies for the family.  We didn’t want to eat too much before our Thanksgiving feast.  Tom baked a large turkey and smoked a small one.  My mom, sister, and I were in charge of the sides and dessert.  We had an amazing spread and I only remembered to capture one picture of my plate.  And yes I went back for seconds along with a slice and a half of my mom’s homemade apple pie 🙂

Thanksgiving Dinner

Friday morning I sadly had to take my little sister back to the airport.  But my parents were still in town for another day.  I took them up to National Harbor to meet up with my uncle and we all enjoyed a lunch at Mezeh.  I had the greens and grains bowl with chicken and you get to choose unlimited toppings and a dressing.

Mezeh Grill

Friday night we went to Tom’s State Semi Final playoff Football game.  They ended up losing, which means their season is over.  It’s always sad to see the season come to an end.  But I’m so glad of everything they accomplished this year; SMAC Champs, Regional Champs, and Tom was named SMAC Coach of the year.  He puts in so much time and work into the program and it’s always nice to see his hard work pay off.

Saturday my parents had a late flight black to Cleveland.  But before heading to the airport we made a stop to visit my sister in Capital Hill, explored Eastern Market, and took them to District Doughnut and Sweetgreen, because #balance.

Sweetgreen Salads

By the time I was home I was so ready to relax.  It was a beer, college football, and order in pizza kind of night.

Sunday morning after a much-needed sleep in Tom and I decided to get the house ready for Christmas.  Which also meant going out to buy our tree.  We have always gotten a real tree and I’m not looking to change that anytime soon, I just love the fresh pine smell.

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas

Before we knew it, it was late afternoon, and rather than eating more turkey leftovers we decided to head out for one last meal.  I had a bit of a sore throat and was craving something warm, so we went to Spoons Korean BBQ for some Bibimbap.

Spoons Korean BBQ

Then we ate leftover desserts and got all caught up on This Is Us to end the Holiday Break.

Thanksgiving Holiday Break Eats for What I Ate Wednesday with @sweetandstrong_Click To Tweet

Linking up with Jenn and Laura for What I Ate Wednesday  You can find more of my favorite healthy recipes here.

How was your Thanksgiving?

Tell me something delicious on your plate lately.

Are you decorated for Christmas?

20 Comments on Thanksgiving Break What I Ate Wednesday

1. Maureen @ Maureen Gets Real
    November 29, 2017 at 12:56 pm (2 weeks ago)

It sounds like a wonderful Thanksgiving with your family! The soft serve looks delicious!

I’m kind of disappointed to hear they modernized “Mean Girls” for the musical. The movie is so funny and I totally get it needs to have some changes for the show, I don’t think social media would have to get added. Did you guys all plan to wear pink to the show that was on a Wednesday night?! Because “On Wednesdays, we wear pink” 😉

November 29, 2017 at 1:46 pm (2 weeks ago)

Yes we totally planned to wear pink! And it just had a little middle touch, not too much. Still almost every part of the original movie. The sets were also incredible. Have a great rest of your week Maureen.

2. Erinn
    November 29, 2017 at 2:02 pm (2 weeks ago)

What a awesome soft serve flavor! I would love to try that 🙂
    And Mean Girls sounds like it would be great as a musical! It is one of my favorite movies…”Like, why’re you so obsessed with me?!” Love it!

November 29, 2017 at 5:21 pm (2 weeks ago)

Haha yes so many good quotes! And yes Milk Bar is delicious, I want to try everything on the menu.

November 29, 2017 at 6:29 pm (2 weeks ago)

I did not know there was a Mean Girls musical, but that sounds awesome! Sounds like you had a great holiday!

November 30, 2017 at 12:15 pm (2 weeks ago)

Yes it just started playing in DC this Fall, hopefully it’ll make it to other cities too. Hope you had a happy Thanksgiving Emily.

4. Samantha
    November 29, 2017 at 11:46 pm (2 weeks ago)

It sounds like you had a great holiday and time off to relax! We haven’t decorated yet, but I’m hoping this Sunday since everyone is home from work 🙂

November 30, 2017 at 12:16 pm (2 weeks ago)

Yes you must get the decorating done so you have plenty of time to enjoy it 🙂 I am however guilty of leaving up some Christmas decor through February, lol.

5. Sarah @ Bucket List Tummy
    November 30, 2017 at 1:26 pm (2 weeks ago)

I would love to see the Mean Girls musical, I can’t believe there was no social media in the movie, that’s shocking!! Glad you got some down time over Thanksgiving break 🙂

November 30, 2017 at 5:15 pm (2 weeks ago)

Seeing the musical was a lot of fun. I need to plan more nights like that, dinner and a show. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving Holiday Sarah!

6. Kelli @ Hungry Hobby
    November 30, 2017 at 3:44 pm (2 weeks ago)

OMG bimbibap since grad school but it was my FAVORITE! Also, looks like you had a very nice holiday the tree is gorgeous, we haven’t set ours up yet but we will this weekend!

November 30, 2017 at 5:16 pm (2 weeks ago)

I had bibimbap for the first time last year and have been obsessed with it since! And definitly gotta get your tree up so you can enjoy it before christmas 🙂

December 1, 2017 at 3:25 pm (2 weeks ago)

It sure was. Hope you did as well Patrick.

7. Lacey@fairytalesandfitness
    December 1, 2017 at 1:15 am (2 weeks ago)

Beautiful tree! I didn’t know mean girls was made into a musical. I bet that was fun seeing that.

December 1, 2017 at 3:26 pm (2 weeks ago)

Thanks Lacey! And Mean Girls just opened in DC, I’m hoping it will be playing in other cities too, it was a lot of fun.

December 1, 2017 at 1:55 pm (2 weeks ago)

I’m planning to decorate this weekend! Your tree looks so good! I heard about the Mean Girls musical and was so intrigued. I love the movie so I’m assuming would love the show!

December 1, 2017 at 3:26 pm (2 weeks ago)

Yes if you love the movies, you’ll def love the show. Hoping it’ll start playing in other cities soon.

December 6, 2017 at 3:56 am (1 week ago)

Milk Bar is the BEST!!!

We got all caught up on This is Us too. I was an emotional wreck after that one!

December 6, 2017 at 1:40 pm (1 week ago)

Seriously every episode gets me, lol!